Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting / Kirkpatrick  (Read 3060 times)

Bill Ferrett

Cutting / Kirkpatrick
« on: March 19, 2020, 10:02:08 PM »

Have Andy Cutting and John Kirkpatrick ever played together?

And if not, why not?
1930's Hohner re-tuned to D/G

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Cutting / Kirkpatrick
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:39:56 PM »

I'm not sure.
They each have different and quite varied niches that they've carved out for themselves over the years. Varied from each other and varied within themselves over the years as each has followed their own paths in several directions.

I read Andy, when first starting up, cited John as an influence and learnt a lot (all?) of John's 'Three in a row' lp off by heart.
A concert with the two would be good listening though  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bill Ferrett

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:11:45 PM »

"A concert with the two would be good listening though"

I guess that was where I was coming from.  Also, as their styles seem quite different and they are such consummate musicians you wonder what wondrous new alloy might be created.
1930's Hohner re-tuned to D/G

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »

A new alloy being created might well be Andy and a lady called Ann Niepold.
They both are tutors at the DG Weekends run at Halsway Manor, and last year shared some tunes at the end of the tutors concert. Ann is a force of nature, a Belgian lady often playing tunes best described as free form jazz oriented. Andy was playing some of his unusual tunes anchoring her whilst she improvised across the top. Unbelievable stuff!
There were mutterings of a collaboration. Keep your eyes open for that.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »

They both are tutors at the DG Weekends run at Halsway Manor, and last year shared some tunes at the end of the tutors concert. Ann is a force of nature, a Belgian lady often playing tunes best described as free form jazz oriented. Andy was playing some of his unusual tunes anchoring her whilst she improvised across the top. Unbelievable stuff!
There were mutterings of a collaboration. Keep your eyes open for that.
Q

I saw on Facebook a while ago that they're doing so though they don't have a non-Facebook web presence to link to.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »

There were mutterings of a collaboration. Keep your eyes open for that. Q

Know and admire both at social level. I think Andy’s big strength is his precision and strict rhythm. He varies of course, and beautifully too. But in the Cutting Wood era it was Chris who went off at melodic tangents?

Ann is quite extraordinary in session mode. She is utterly fearless when improvising “out” of the base scale, and seems never to falter. Seems to epitomise Miles Davis’s view that when you play a wrong note … it’s the next note that makes it good or bad.

So very different approaches to music. And one I’d love to see blossom

btw Similar applied to Yehudi Menuhin and Stéphane Grappeli. I got to see both at very close range in 1974 … and then they started playing together! It was a joy 😀

Back to topic 😉 John and Andy? Both consummate musicians, but … more similar than different?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:39:35 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 12:03:37 PM »

"more similar than different?"

That would seem to be the pertinent question, methinks. I'm sure that both could manage perfectly well in playing the other's music, but would they really want (or have the time) to collaborate?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Howard Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »

I remember many years ago seeing John together with a couple of European players.  I think one was Riccardo Tesi, the other possibly Marc Perronne but I can't be sure (it was a long time ago). I can recall that it was a great night.

John was an early enthusiast for old English tunes, in particular 3/2s, which Andy plays so effectively with Leveret, so there is an overlap there.

I'm sure it would be an interesting collaboration, if it were ever to happen.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 05:43:26 PM »

They do both have a background in Morris, of course.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 05:51:43 PM »

They do both have a background in Morris, of course.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »

Oh brilliant Lester!
I knew Andy danced but not sure who with.
Is that a side local to you?
I don't recognise the baldric....

I'm sure people know but just in case.... John used to dance with Hammersmith before heading west to Shropshire and setting up Shropshire Bedlams.... and kick started a whole revolution.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »

John used to dance with Hammersmith before heading west to Shropshire and setting up Shropshire Bedlams.... and kick started a whole revolution.
Q

A brief detour: Others would credit Silurian with that honour.

Back on  topic: Lester knows the answer to this one, if my memory serves.  Someone said they were in the same side.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:11:21 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »

Oh brilliant Lester!
I knew Andy danced but not sure who with.
Is that a side local to you?
I don't recognise the baldric....

I'm sure people know but just in case.... John used to dance with Hammersmith before heading west to Shropshire and setting up Shropshire Bedlams.... and kick started a whole revolution.
Q
That's my old side Grand Union Morris (now defunct) based in Denham, Bucks. His dad John also danced with us.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:44:15 PM by Lester »

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »

Thanks Lester.

Greg: I'm aware Silurian have been around longer but I hold that John's kudos as a performer really kicked it off.
I remember Bedlams first dancing at Sidmouth in 1977. I had no idea who this bloke was but there was an incredible buzz and surprise going around the festival. This top performer and box wizard was there to *dance* not play it sing! People were astounded.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 07:27:35 PM »

That's my old side Grand Union Morris (now defunct) based in Denham, Bucks. His dad John also danced with us.

That's where I got Albert's Last Dance from. My friend Sally danced and played with them.
Greg Smith

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 07:44:09 PM »

That's where I got Albert's Last Dance from. My friend Sally danced and played with them.
GUM were a men's side, Albert and Sally danced with Lord Paget's Morris with who Andy was also involved.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 07:57:57 PM »

GUM were a men's side, Albert and Sally danced with Lord Paget's Morris with who Andy was also involved.

I stand corrected.  ;D

Greg: I'm aware Silurian have been around longer but I hold that John's kudos as a performer really kicked it off.Q

A topic of controversy
 ;D ;D ;D

If you look at the sides that have been around a long time they tend (note, it's a gross generalisation and my observation of a tendency, not a rule) to fall into two camps. Polite, neat and tidy and anarchic, scruffy and more than slightly wild. I have always thought that John is to to blame for the first lot and Silurian for the second. My side are best described as the sunny of the dark side, but I have a soft spot for the wild men and women.

Of course, Andy danced Cotswold, which is often neat, tidy and anarchic.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 08:19:50 PM »

fair 'nuff Greg.
By your logic, then I too am often neat, tiday and definitely anarchic.
Sounds reasonable  ;)
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »

It's more than twenty years since I left the Shropshire Bedlams, after about fourteen years dancing and playing with them. I won't get into debate about them as opposed to Silurian - but I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't have moved from Yorkshire to join them, as I did with Bedlams.  Sorry any Silurian members - the SB and MRTD music is much better for one thing ! (Not that I'm biased in any way >:E)
And I certainly learned a lot from playing alongside JK so many times though I never had any lessons from him  (such a shame that I won't see him in Hawes). As for Andy, he has been such a great inspiration and teacher - and being in a session with Andy and Anne Niepold was wonderful.
I think a combined concert and ceilidh/bal with both John and Andy would be my idea of music and dance heaven and if I had the dosh I'd propose that to both of them, for when we get through these horrendous times.

Julian

PS I think I'm a scruffy, unsocial and untidy anarchist.

Old Bones Dance Band

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »

That's my old side Grand Union Morris (now defunct) based in Denham, Bucks. His dad John also danced with

One of the most inventive sides that I've had the pleasure to watch!  The 1970's Hammersmith and Earls of Essex were also creative hot spots, though I mainly knew them from Folk Camps. 

My own point is that a lot of creative friction comes from difference of experience, however. As per "Sweet and Sour"  :P  Morris being concerned with 'tradition' - it's less of a melting pot.   The sheer skill of these guys is not a matter of debate

That's why I mentioned Menuhin and Grapelli.  Interestingly Stéphane had less problem with classical stuff than Yehudi with Hot Club swing  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal