- 51 (68.9%)
I think we should conceal location
- 3 (4.1%)
I don’t care
- 20 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: April 19, 2020, 12:17:51 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should posters here “usually” have location in their profile?  (Read 5560 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

This forum offers facility to show rough geographical location, and also to post as an individual or under pseudonym. I personally like to post in social media as myself. I stand by any opinion expressed, or will be in “learning” mode. I understand if others take a different view.

Location is more nuanced, and we’ve all seen examples where it mattered. This post was triggered by a “looking for tuition” post. I think location often does matter in that - eg I’m willing to help people local to me personally.

The same surely 🙄 applies to the occasional “session at the Kings Head next Thursday” posts. Weird not to put town in the title. But can be rescued by knowing the OP’s location

More generally, there are maybe 1000 different genres of melodeon In this at least rough geographical location seems a good idea? It really helps to know whether someone is in eg Sweden, UK, or Louisiana?

So … open to discussion 😀   Maybe Clive “Milton Keynes” or Theo “Gateshead UK” might like to come in early as we had a thread on this about a decade back, and social medial have evolved quite a lot since then

Chris Ryall “Wirral UK” 😀

You will see N of votes once you commit (or change vote) yourself. But let’s talk first.
  _       _    _      _ 

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Should posters here “usually” have location in their profile?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »

I agree with you, Chris - knowing where someone is based can be an important factor in responses to posts.  I have "Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine" in my signature line, if anyone ever notices.  Another forum I frequent - totally unrelated to music-making - includes "Location" (which can be as general as just a country or as specific as you want it to be) as part of your profile - I confess I haven't looked to see if it's possible to show it here along with the profile picture & poster's chosen online identity.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 12:46:36 PM »

While this is a social platform, there is not really any privacy here.

The fact that people will post just the worst, most hateful garbage on eg Facebook, with their real names, often for all to see, convinced me that eschewing anonymity on the Internet protects us from nothing, in terms of how people’s behave.

I don’t think having the location like that necessarily helps, especially for what would often be a ‘quite willing to travel long distances for a good session’ community. It was always within people’s power to post the needed information the first time. I think people should be given the time to figure out what’s right for them when they join any community. If anyone wants to, they can also add their location to the personal text or signature in their forum profile, too.

I’d worry it could provide as much confusing information as helpful information, and/or put people off. Using my real name here put me off, I wasn’t certain of what would be best for me. Flip side I have had people message me and become friends because of location information posted on this forum, so, idk.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:33:57 PM »

I agree many of us would be "willing to travel quite long distances for a good session", but I'd guess very few would be prepared to do, say, a 10,000 mile round trip.  I live 2000 miles, give or take, from the UK and I'm by no means the furthest-flung of our participants.  Knowing roughly where a poster is located is very useful if you want to recommend, for instance, a repairer, teacher or retailer - or indeed a good session! Or to tell you there's no point in recommending a repairer in Copenhagen if the enquirer lives in Cape Town. 
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Open_G

• Good talker
  • Hohner Erica, Hohner 1 row, Tommy, Mignon
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »

Voted don't care, but I have updated my profile as it was three house moves out of date.

Only reason location is relevant for me is sales.
Squeezing with varying degress of success since 1995. -Clive

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:44 PM »

I prefer knowing. It's nice. But wouldn't compel it.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »

Many of the regulars on the forum do have their general location available to others. Approximate location (even which continent!) is really useful when someone posts a 'for sale' or 'wanted' advertisement, or wants to know about lessons or sessions in their area.

But everyone's situation and comfort zone is different. It shouldn't be compulsory to divulge even a general location.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »

Fully agree its helpful to know an approximate location of members, it does not have to be the full address. This helps at all times for sales, sessions and general info that may or may not be relavent to the posting. At all times I'm happy to say I'm in the Swamps of Chertsey, Surrey, England. If you want my exact location or address just follow the increasing number of people in the area with cotton wool in their ears.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 04:07:38 PM »

This forum offers facility to show rough geographical location, and also to post as an individual or under pseudonym. I personally like to post in social media as myself. I stand by any opinion expressed, or will be in “learning” mode. I understand if others take a different view.

Location is more nuanced, and we’ve all seen examples where it mattered. This post was triggered by a “looking for tuition” post. I think location often does matter in that - eg I’m willing to help people local to me personally.

The same surely 🙄 applies to the occasional “session at the Kings Head next Thursday” posts. Weird not to put town in the title. But can be rescued by knowing the OP’s location

More generally, there are maybe 1000 different genres of melodeon In this at least rough geographical location seems a good idea? It really helps to know whether someone is in eg Sweden, UK, or Louisiana?

So … open to discussion 😀   Maybe Clive “Milton Keynes” or Theo “Gateshead UK” might like to come in early as we had a thread on this about a decade back, and social medial have evolved quite a lot since then

Chris Ryall “Wirral UK” 😀

You will see N of votes once you commit (or change vote) yourself. But let’s talk first.

A few comments:

1. I think the extent of the information is up to the indiivdual. I don't care, personaly, but I know others do. Especially those in occupations where it could...erm...become a weakness. e.g., the police.

2. To be fair, the triggering post wasn't "looking for tuition". Quite the opposite, really.

3. There is always the option of a pm.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:25:31 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »

I took "I don't care" because of a lack of the option "We should handle it like everywhere on the internet and in real life: Simply asking someone personally if we're interested in personal details about them, otherwise just letting them share what they want without forcing them to do so."
This is what I live by and I very much recommend this approach.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »

I took "I don't care" because of a lack of the option "We should handle it like everywhere on the internet and in real life: Simply asking someone personally if we're interested in personal details about them, otherwise just letting them share what they want without forcing them to do so."
This is what I live by and I very much recommend this approach.

Pretty much this.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

The post above  is pretty much the way this forum has always been run:

1. There is a Location field in the personal profile

2 Use of the Location field is entirely voluntary

3 Members are at liberty to ask other members about their location where if it is relevant to a discussion eg about tuition, events or sales. Replies can be in public or private.

This topic has been well aired in the past.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »

2. To be fair, the triggering post wasn't "looking for tuition". Quite the opposite, really.

Not sure I understand this comment, but maybe you know something I don't,  Anyway, that's not really relevant. I'd welcome info about where people are based, but I certainly wouldn't want to make it obligatory.

Graham
Koilani
Cyprus

mory

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »

Shouldn't we have had a poll as to whether or not we should have a poll, all feels a bit like an imposition based in a personal opinion.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:06:35 PM by mory »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 06:32:42 PM »

I know I'm repeating myself, but I think it's important people to recognise  that it's not nice to pressure people into giving information, on line, that they don't offer freely.

There is always the option of a PM where it is really useful to know. Generally, it doesn't matter, beyond satisfying curiosity.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Graham Spencer

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »

I know I'm repeating myself, but I think it's important people to recognise  that it's not nice to pressure people into giving information, on line, that they don't offer freely.

There is always the option of a PM where it is really useful to know. Generally, it doesn't matter, beyond satisfying curiosity.

Where's the pressure?  No-one's suggesting it should be made compulsory.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 07:42:36 PM »

Where's the pressure?  No-one's suggesting it should be made compulsory.

Well why are we even discussing it then?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:53:32 PM by Lester »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:11 PM »

"Well why are we even discussing it the?"

Because (since it's been brought up) 78% of respondents would prefer to know what they view as harmless information about their fellow members and virtual friends, for perfectly valid reasons, which have already been mentioned.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 07:55:47 PM »

Because (since it's been brought up) 78% of respondents would prefer to know what they view as harmless information about their fellow members and virtual friends, for perfectly valid reasons, which have already been mentioned.

Yep! I get that, but as a result of the poll we will either have to enforce revelation or continue with the status quo nad since we are going to continue with the status quo what is the point.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 08:09:19 PM »

Yep! I get that, but as a result of the poll we will either have to enforce revelation or continue with the status quo nad since we are going to continue with the status quo what is the point.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal