- 51 (68.9%)
I think we should conceal location
- 3 (4.1%)
I don’t care
- 20 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: April 19, 2020, 12:17:51 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should posters here “usually” have location in their profile?  (Read 5566 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Should posters here “usually” have location in their profile?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »

Point taken!

However, it may prompt some members to, hopefully, provide a location which they simply didn't bother filling in when registering.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 08:35:37 PM »

I'm with Fred and Helena, that the 'don't care' option is the same as uninterested. I do care, but I care that it should be a completely free choice. I think the worst forums (I can't bring myself to write 'fora') are the ones that pounce on newbies and point out their perceived mistakes of etiquette. A bit like traditional music, we shouldn't try to enshrine behaviour to suit those of us who have been here a while. So, be loud and proud, or sit in the shadows as you choose. Your views and contributions are equally valued.
I live in Hexham UK. My name is Pete. I get things wrong about as often as I get things right. So I might be wrong about this too.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:03 PM »

"Well why are we even discussing it the?"

Because (since it's been brought up) 78% of respondents would prefer to know what they view as harmless information about their fellow members and virtual friends, for perfectly valid reasons, which have already been mentioned.

There are people who have perfectly valid reasons for not giving out information which, believe it or not, could, and in some circumstances, has been used maliciously by third parties.  We are all too nice here, but this is a forum which is open to be viewed by all.

Once again, it is always possible to PM someone if there is a reason, beyond simple curiosity, to know something.

To give but one example, I don't have any current interest in this, but my wife had a career in the civil service (DHSS for the curious) and there was a time when caution was advisable. Her take on this is that if you don't want people to know about you, don't go on line, especially in public forums (should that be fora P&T? I can't bring myself to use the word). That deprives you of a lot of opportunities, though

Everyone has a right to privacy online. I seem to be the only one saying this, but if you look at the profiles, there are an awful lot of people who prefer to practice this. People's situations vary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:54:19 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 09:34:22 PM »

Traditional music generally has national charachteristics, regional styles and local variations - so for anyone interested in traditional music country/region/county are significant.

Howard Jones

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »

Traditional music generally has national charachteristics, regional styles and local variations - so for anyone interested in traditional music country/region/county are significant.

But people often don't play the music of their own region. Knowing where I live wont tell you anything about the music I play, and vice versa.

I'm of the view that most of the time knowing a poster's location isn't relevant. When it is, people are quick to ask.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 10:01:48 PM »

So, it's easy to PM  someone, then. Or ask in a thread.
Yes, it's good to know, but people may have well founded reasons for not wanting information on view to all and sundry.
I agree that some information is more sensitive but it's still their free choice, even if their worries are unfounded.
[cross posted with Howard. I agree with what he says]

Edit to add I think the vote should have another option: It is very helpful to know where people are from and what music they like/play/know about, but the decision is up to them and they should not be made to feel pressured into giving information they don't wish to.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:07:31 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

george garside

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 12:11:06 AM »

at risk of repeating what I and others have posted onthis topic providing  a rough idea of where you are located i.e. country if outside uk, city; county or town   can  enable nearby members to get in touch  with you and you with them  -this can ,withut any pressure,  enable an   exchange of  broad info such as location of sessions, tuition,   others willing to meet up fIor a tune or two etc etc.   

It does not in any way put the provider of his/her  broad location in any obligation to reply to others offering  to gettogether etc etc and you can simply ignore any  messages from other members if that is what you prefer to do or not do

george  -Southport UK

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

mory

Howard Jones

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 07:54:50 AM »

I am finding it quiet difficult to know how to respond to the poll. It doesn't quite seem to fit with Chris's opening post, which implies (but doesn't quite go as far as stating) that people should be required, or at least  expected, to reveal their location. I don't agree with that,  but neither do I think it should be concealed. "Don't  care" suggest I am indifferent or have no opinion, which is not the case.

My view is that people should be free to give as much or as little information as they choose.  If someone fails to put a location in a post to which it is clearly relevant then they can't expect a meaningful response, but in most cases that gets ironed out in the first few posts. I vote for the status quo.

Peadar

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »

I agree that it should not be compulsory to state where you are but it is useful and dare I say interesting to know.
I initially liked the idea of "handles" on line because they are rather fun, but as on line abuse under the cloak of anonymity began to emerge I decided to use the name I am known by in the real world. I may yet change that stance.

Peadar
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:35:20 PM by Peadar »

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »

This is kinda like the 'how many straps should I have on my melodeon' debate isn't it?

Yes, if you are looking to meet up for a session or buy and sell boxes it's really handy to know where someone is located. Equally people may have very valid reasons for not wanting to reveal their location.  Some people are happy to share, some not so.  Both are perfectly valid positions. 

Off to play  tunes now....  :|||: :M
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 11:52:28 AM »

Yesterday I voted "I prefer to know" although I mostly don't care ... sometimes it's interesting to know ...
In my situation it has been practically helpful at least once ...
Of course I agree it should not be compulsory and I respect people not wanting to reveal their location ...
Carpe diem, C.

Suppards

• Good talker
  • Old enough to know better. Daft enough not to care
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »

Just voted.  I think its nice to have a rough idea of someone's location, especially given that this is an international forum with members from across the globe.   

Steve
North Yorkshire, UK

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 12:10:30 PM »

I initially liked the idea of "handles" on line because they are rather fun, but as on line abuse under the cloak of anonymity begin to emerge I decided to use the name I am known by in the real world. I may yet change that stance.

Peadar

I currently use my initials, though I may change to "Graham S" or something similar.  I've had a couple of pseudonyms in the past, and left the forum for a while after a couple of extremely unpleasant and totally unfounded posts directed at me by another (also anonymous) member.  I came back after a while under a new user name, which I've now ditched in favour of my initials. 

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 01:10:49 PM »

Where's the pressure?  No-one's suggesting it should be made compulsory.

To be clear - that 'nobody' incudes yours truly.  I made this a 'poll' as I thought there might be a 'useful' consensus, and so far … it seems there is.

Basically I (personally) would prefer the site 'encourage you to offer a location, eg country, as melodeon  builds, keys and styles vary considerably across the World'

Or something like that.  But no compulsion.  Ditto for name/ID  … should I go back to being "Doc 3 Row"?  ;)

In the end this is a moderated forum and any posting nastiness doesn't last long, thanks to Clive and Theo (and others?)

Just my opinion, based on mainly European experience.   I note that all my French folk friends have moved to own names on Internet, incidentally.   Maybe it's an Anglo Saxon thing?  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 01:28:13 PM »

Maybe it's an Anglo Saxon thing?  :|glug

Now don't you start using that absurd term glibly used by lazy French columnists and opinionated writers of letters to the editor to refer anything imperialist, neoliberal, American, British or of the English-speaking world that threatens French identity. (My wife is thoroughly fed up of my moaning about it and threatening to refer to her as a Frank or a Gaul.  :P)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:30:23 PM by Stiamh »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »

I wasn't being that specific, Stiamh.   Appreciate that over in Québec there are other tensions, as well as a WASPish tendency.   But wrt privacy,  here in UK "my home is my castle" still has resonance with some people.

I'm more a culture vulture - your assistance guideing Dolly May and me down the St Lawrence was much appreciated, and none of that sort of thing was possible without Melnet  (:)

Try … "ma blonde"?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:39:55 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 04:41:19 PM »

A friend of mine went to live in Canada years ago.  His wife was born there of English immigrant parents.  He was surprisingly unaware of the friction between the French and English people there.  His wife’s father was fed up with being contemptuously referred to as an ‘Anglophone’ and would correct anyone saying that by strongly denying it.  He would loudly claim to be a saxophone.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 05:48:50 PM »

@ChrisR1 My comment doesn't refer to the situation in Québec particularly. I'm sure this use of the term originated in France and it is used constantly in the writings of academics and journalists in Europe, and that is where I come across it most often.

@ChrisR2 Things have moved on since your friend's father-in-law's time. The saxophone story sounds like an anecdote from the mid-20th century.

Back to the topic now please.

Matthew B

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2020, 09:44:45 PM »

I'm happy to respect anyone's desire for locational anonymity.  That noted, melodeon and button accordion playing are hard secrets to keep in most places.   Up here in the top right hand corner of North America players are a fairly small tribe.  If you can find one of us you can probably find the rest of us.  From beginners through to professional musicians I reckon we're all only one -- or at most two -- handshakes away from each other.

Which is of course also why we're all sitting at home practicing alone right now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:03:04 PM by Matthew B »
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal