- 51 (68.9%)
I think we should conceal location
- 3 (4.1%)
I don’t care
- 20 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: April 19, 2020, 12:17:51 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should posters here “usually” have location in their profile?  (Read 5559 times)

David Colpitts

• Regular debater
Re: Should posters here “usually” have location in their profile?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2020, 10:49:10 PM »

I just voted, before I read the thread.  Always backwards, perhaps.  Now, having read more, I realize I didn’t have any sense of the need for privacy that many most certainly have.  I support their right to whatever privacy they prefer, online and elsewhere.  I am sorry if my ignorance of such may have made me cavalier about the matter.

David

Lyra

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2020, 03:12:28 AM »

Country is helpful. More than that I'm not fussed. Knowing country does help interpret remarks sometimes avoiding the odd sharp intake of breath. I use a pseudonym because I have it for all my online stuff and cba to change it. A few of you know who I am and of course everyone in NZ does.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2020, 07:27:52 AM »

I take it that NZ means New Zealand, and not Northern Zimbabwe or some American State which I haven't otherwise heard of. And (while we're on) that cba means something other than continental button accordion?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2020, 07:33:11 AM »

And (while we're on) that cba means something other than continental button accordion?

Yes, it certainly does - but I'm too polite to tell you!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2020, 07:53:35 AM »

Thanks Graham, but I've already taken an uneducated guess at that! I'm just trying to make, what I think is, a thread-related point.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »

@ looking back : thought quite a lot before putting “don’t care” as an option. Decided that the issue was nuanced (as per above) and that for some this was more a matter of empathy than own feelings. Several examples of that too

@ developments. Frankly, usually I don’t care either. I do value the international, cultural perspectives here though, and geography intimation often enhances that. Guess it is an issue in 5% of what I read.

@ where it does matter. Those “session next Friday posts. ::) When I travelled more I got a fair bit into several before realising that the pub in question was 100 miles away. In such cases I’d like a session rule that geographic place be in the header.

If that tips off where you live … tough 😉

just my 2p worth. Chris R1, Wirral UK. “take care all”
  _       _    _      _ 

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2020, 02:35:06 PM »

At the risk of being shot down in flames I think there is probably a gender difference here - at least with regards to willingness to share.  It's a sad reflection on society that the 50% of the population who feel unable to walk down dark streets, in parks etc. at night will probably have learnt a little more caution in terms of sharing their location.

That's certainly how I felt when I joined this forum - definite trepidation about sharing my location with a (mostly male) group of strangers.  Fast forward a few years and enough of you know me personally, I'm involved in local teams, run sessions and do the whole melodeon playgroup thing so there is no real point in not sharing my location.

The reality is simply more nuanced that should share/shouldn't share/don't care - I think that there is probably, in truth, an option along the lines of 'it's useful to know but I appreciate that people have to guard their personal safety'.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »

The reality is simply more nuanced that should share/shouldn't share/don't care - I think that there is probably, in truth, an option along the lines of 'it's useful to know but I appreciate that people have to guard their personal safety'.
Yes - this. I think you have it spot on, Helena.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Graham Spencer

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »

Yes - this. I think you have it spot on, Helena.

So do I.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2020, 09:01:57 PM »

I am always sympathetic to female nerves, but no one is suggesting …;street level locatiion. Let’s stay rational about this please.

eg Helena locates as “Surrey”, and that’s quite a big place. About twice the size of my “Wirral” though with slightly fewer golf courses, and private number plates. 😉

For melnet purposes that’s entirely sufficient, as would  “Greater London” or “England” frankly.

Not sure what risk is being “nailed” when one locates to a group of 200k (me) to 1 million (helena) people?  Fears are of course another matter. No one is suggesting compulsory location, nor could or should that be checked.

Point of interest - has anyone gone from “somewhere on earth” to a more specific location after reading this thread? 

Did that cause any …  loss of sleep? 🤔

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:07:15 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2020, 10:43:31 PM »

lol female nerves, ok

Vague information, like even a vague location, can be used to verify other, more specific but seemingly anonymous information.

Have you ever had information where you can not put the genie back in the bottle, if it were to get out? You don't know what's in my past, and what steps I might take to prevent, let's say, unwanted collisions. If someone knows me online in an anonymous capacity, but knows I play the melodeon and that I live in 'poole' , maybe they can figure out my real name because I use it here. Then maybe they look me up on linked in, and find out where I work. Maybe they don't like me, and something I've said anonymously could be used to get me fired from my job.

That's just an example of why someone might pause. Stalkers are another one, too.

Plus if someone says greater London, that always makes it clear which of the dozen+ 'the kings head's that appear to exist in that area. Right?

This is a bit devil's advocate, but, idk, I guess I don't like the emoji

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2020, 11:20:24 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

Can I focus discussion by putting a different question:

Does anybody want a change to the current way the forum works?  If so let’s have a proposal please.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2020, 12:22:25 AM »

I'm really happy with it as it stands. Plenty of options to opt in to giving info, but no expectation.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2020, 12:49:12 AM »

I'm really happy with it as it stands. ...
Me too.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2020, 06:43:47 AM »

Ditto
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2020, 07:26:18 AM »

"Does anybody want a change to the current way the forum works?  If so let’s have a proposal please."

(In for a penny and in for a pound.) Yes, I propose that members should provide the name of the country where they usually reside.

mory

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2020, 07:29:04 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Can I focus discussion by putting a different question:

Does anybody want a change to the current way the forum works?  If so let’s have a proposal please.

NO THANKS

Graham Spencer

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2020, 07:31:35 AM »

"Does anybody want a change to the current way the forum works?  If so let’s have a proposal please."

(In for a penny and in for a pound.) Yes, I propose that members should provide the name of the country where they usually reside.

Are you proposing it should be in your profile details (which in your case it is, and can be seen by clicking on your name when you post) or generally visible in any posting yu make (which in your case it isn't)?  Just trying to be clear about what we mean by "in one's profile"......

Graham
Cyprus

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »

Very happy as things stand, especially as Melnet has been running smoothly as is for some time. Any attempt to change at this time would cause additional work and stress on Theo and others to effect that change. All who have joined Melnet have joined a "club" the rules of which were available to them before joining, having joined they have accepted those rules as is. In this time of self isolation and stress it is very easy for very minor things to distroy relationships, I would suggest and ask that we all try to keep the happy, informative threads going with a bit of humour and steer clear of any personal or indeed political subjects.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2020, 07:44:35 AM »

Do you mean members should be compelled to include their country in the profile.  That would mean we would no longer accept new members who did not?

What about the many 100s of existing members who don’t give their location?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal