Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?  (Read 6571 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:47:26 PM »

I haven't been near my melodeons in the last 2 weeks or so. Is that something that others are noticing about themselves? Could be that I didn't engage with the TOTM early on, or that it is a repeat of me needing something different to do on it...I was tinkering with a one row, and also looking into 3 rows to play recorder music etc. (that's a pipe dream now of course)... but I wondered if there was something else going on.
I'm still working (from home), seeing a lot of my grown up kids. Getting out on my bike (very rural location, and all within the guidelines), but not playing.
I know Gena will jump to conclusions - I'm fine, and as happy as is reasonable under the circumstances. I have considered skype lessons with Paul Young, but would need to set up the basics.
I see that others are joining online sessions in some form or other.
Any other suggestions - Theme of the Week maybe?
Thanks for all those who comment on this forum - it's always good to see a full page of unread posts.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Grape Ape

Re: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:49:00 PM »

To me, playing is an expression of joy and fun, even when playing something sad.  Not feeling it at the moment.

deltasalmon

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:50:17 PM »

Haven't been playing the melodeon lately but it's only because a concertina managed to sneak into my household
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »

... Could be that I didn't engage with the TOTM early on, I have considered skype lessons with Paul Young, but would need to set up the basics.

I see that others are joining online sessions in some form or other.

Funnily enough, I am finding the opposite. Stan's Reel didn't grab me at first, but it has now. I'm busy squashing it into shape for a new dance we are planning.

That's leading to on line collaborations, of which there will be more.

Loving having the time to do to it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:07 PM »

Whether I pick up the box or no, I'm always listening...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:32:34 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 11:46:47 PM »

Actually, Pete, I've not really been feeling it, either.

Here's hoping for an upswing.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 01:04:21 AM »

I'm with Greg on this one. Playing more box and a raft of new tin whistle tunes as well. I also work from home and the alternative is deep spring cleaning. I'll be in the shop if you need me.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 01:43:37 AM »

My children's school closed on the 16th and I have been working from home since then (and my wife is home as well), and I no longer have any quiet periods alone to practice. I'm sure I could find a half hour in the evening or during my lunch break, but it's a bit awkward with everyone home. I should probably make the effort, though.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 02:53:54 AM »

I just logged on to start a thread on missing my boxes!  I rarely if ever lately play them at home, but I play out with them every week. I was an early adopter of isolation (former public health worker) and shutdown playing out well over a month ago.  Although my boxes are laying all around me, I literally hadn't picked one up until making myself do it yesterday.

*I've got two kids at home so ya there hasn't been as much time for practice.  And I just strung up an old wire harp, so not even my fiddle has seen much of me lately.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:00:59 AM by catty »

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 04:38:34 AM »

Yeah, I've been playing. But not as much. And then beating myself up for not taking advantage of the time to play. But have been listening to a ton of stuff -- one of the benefits of this sequestered time is the wealth of concerts and other things on the internet. And Jesse has made me play so that we can post the "living room Sessions."
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

PukkaJ

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 06:57:15 AM »

I work for a large academic hospital and am currently working from home.
At the start of yesterday's digital team meeting with 12 odd colleagues my team manager jokingly suggested I'd start off the meeting with a tune, which I did (my instruments live within arms reach). I say jokingly, because the dutch name for melodeon, 'trekzak', has a funny but rather uncool en corny sound to it, reminiscence of clog dancing and the like I suppose, even though none of my colleagues actually know the instrument.

Anyway, I picked up my Lilly and banged out a tune, which went rather well. Everyone was pleasantly surprised and commented on how the tune and the sound of the instrument were so cheerful!

I find I'm actually playing more these days, though it's a challenge sometimes to find a quiet spot in the house where I'm not bothering the others...

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:31 AM »

Well I’m not playing as of course my wife not allowed out that would give me practice time. Her last encouraging comment to me was “well I wouldn’t mind if you could play”!
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 07:27:52 AM »

At least its not only me, the wonderful thing about Melnet is members can, to each other express their feelings. Yesterday I sat for over an hour with my Lilli on my lap, I had the erge to play but could not find the will, it was returned to its case unplayed.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 08:07:22 AM »

I have been finding, with all evening events cancelled and lots of free time to do stuff, that I am really struggling to engage and start doing anything. Yesterday I managed to go for an evening walk with the camera and watch an amazing sunset over Poole harbour, and that has given me a bit of a push.
Box-wise I have started one new tune but really do need to work through the Morris tunes and keep them fresh, because no matter how rusty the dancers are when we get back they will expect the musicians to be spot on.
I think it's the uncertainty that makes it hard - if you know how much time you have available you are more likely to plan it and do stuff.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »

At the moment I think I'm on the up.
I'm starting to re-establish my normal morning practice and hopefully sort out evenings too soon.
We've just moved house and had periods of really hard work sorting out things, often getting going first thing rather than having a squeeze.
Now I need to ease up a bit and get playing.
I can't do any more in the garden, clearing out Leylandii as I have no tip open to get rid of the green waste so..... get playing!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 08:22:05 AM »

We all can differ in response to crises and it's not surprising some of us feel less like playing - so many other important concerns.
For me I'm still playing a lot (although I've got a lurgi - hopefully not the dreaded!).Joined some online tune fora, learning new tunes, messing around with the G/C - I'm learning some Leveret and Topette tunes on that rather than transposing for D/G. I've got quite a lot of ideas to make the best of things in lock down - mini concert with the wife (whose violin playing is improving markedly), where we perform for each other as well as work on duets which we haven't really done before. As weather gets better we can open the doors and entertain/annoy the neighbours.
I have huge concerns for everyone in a much worse situation (healthwise, financially,socially) and the long term effects are going to be profound I think. We are all going to have to support each other during this, and also look to the future.

All the best everyone

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 08:31:58 AM »

I think forum members here have a great advantage:
We all have a hobby.
Aspects our hobby doesn't involve anyone else.

My wife mentioned this yesterday, as she too has a hobby involving just her so we both can enjoy ourselves in the safety of our home.
We just have to accept that a lot of our lives have changed, so try and take the positive and enjoy our hobbies.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »

Well I’m not playing as of course my wife not allowed out that would give me practice time. Her last encouraging comment to me was “well I wouldn’t mind if you could play”!

I feel for your pain. My wife is less understanding than your's, though. Her attitude is "I told you never to take up that horrible instrument in the first place".

Funny thing is, we both like marmite  ;D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 09:14:05 AM »

I think forum members here have a great advantage:
We all have a hobby.
Aspects our hobby doesn't involve anyone else.

My wife mentioned this yesterday, as she too has a hobby involving just her so we both can enjoy ourselves in the safety of our home.
We just have to accept that a lot of our lives have changed, so try and take the positive and enjoy our hobbies.
Q

Spot on. We musicians are all very lucky in that respect.
I have several hobbies that don't need me to go out. I could spend many hours of the day doing enough cello practice to get back to the standard of playing I once enjoyed. I've started a web site upgrade I've been promising for years. Yesterday a concertina playing friend sent us a tune he'd written and I sent it back with a harmony part for him to play with his wife (another EC player) and we made a sound recording of it too. We plan to make lots of YT videos of songs and tunes (see thread I started elsewhere), and one or two home improvement projects have surfaced.
Admittedly I'm playing less than I thought I would, but I think that's because I've had other things to do. Like sitting in the garden in the sun, or going for walks...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »

I started on a B/C box at the beginning of the year. I got a 1 row in March. Tried learning them both together and found it difficult so pretty much given up at the moment. Trouble is, the longer the instruments stay in their boxes then the less inclined I will be to pick them up again. I must dig them out sometime. Too many other things going on right now.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal