Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?  (Read 6566 times)

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
Re: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 10:39:17 AM »

When this coronavirus business started to get serious, my mood dropped considerably and I found I wasn't playing as much or as well. Now that I'm stuck at home and I've got over the initial dread of the whole situation, I've got into it again and it's flowing much better, indeed I played out in the garden yesterday for the first time ever (I've been playing for just over a year, and this is really the first time the weather has been good enough and my playing as been not too embarrassing!). Definitely a connection between happiness and melodeon playing for me.
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Rick St. John

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 10:51:31 AM »

I work from home and I find that, with the massive drop in phone calls and emails this week, I'm picking up my box more often and making a start on my long list of tunes to learn

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »

"Definitely a connection between happiness and melodeon playing for me."

Well said, that man!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »

I have mostly been trying to master the B part of St Anne's reel...that's involved a lot of putting down... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:45 PM »

In my bid to master the CBA in my seventies I’m doing an hour or so’s practice on that.  Currently stumbling through Plaisir d’ Amour.  In F with bass countermelodies etc.  Very testing.

On the melodeon I’m enjoying working out Nellie the Elephant and Teddybears’ Picnic.  Luckily we have a large house, so my darling wife can get away from the hesitations and fumbled notes.  Also germinating loads of vegetable seeds for the coming season.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Clawhammer

• Good talker
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 01:16:53 PM »

I can relate to the initial post-those two boxes of mine are just sitting over there mocking me and seem to be inquiring about their recent abandonment. 

My autonomic nervous system (i.e., more "survivalist-oriented"?) urges currently seem to be better met through non-musical activities.  Yesterday, my pulling out a lopper and bowsaw yesterday and having my way with some overgrown branches in the back acre really did it for me. I wonder if our playing music might open up our vulnerabilities during such uncertain times? Perhaps my inevitable return to boxes will feel more appropriate once we in Michigan have a better sense of how bad things will be getting here?                Best Wishes to all! 
trying to capably ride a pair of Baldoni DG and Baffetti BP II D/G boxes.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 03:43:15 PM »

FWIW my playing is always sporadic - I've had some long lay offs - nigh on 20 years when I found guitar was fulfilling my musical needs.
I'm picking up a bit of a feeling here that P n' T and others are feeling guilty for not learning new genres of music, new types of boxes etc. and I'd suggest maybe re-engaging with what is your 'natural' genre of music on the box you've played your best stuff on in the past.
Although I had a go at St Anne's Reel on my one row, it would never be the box I'd pick up just for a bit of fun.  That would be my good old Hohner 2 row on which I'd probably bash out a couple of morris tunes or other English stuff.
I can definitely appreciate people not feeling inspired to play - I've had a slight undercurrent of anxiety since my son caught what felt like the last plane out of Europe back to Japan where he lives and we all react differently to crises. You'll play again if it's right for you or you might find other equally enjoyable hobbies or instruments - sackbut or crumhorn anyone?

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »

If anything playing more than usual - fewer distractions taking me away from home! Working on a couple of things: Irish 1 row stuff and some modern French tunes eg La Burette mazurka. Also finally making progress on learning French in preparation for a trip this summer, or maybe next summer!

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »

Same as Tufty - playing more -  but have just acquired a Hohner Merlin G/C box - and there is something about French Scottishes which makes me keep playing a tune for hours ( well minutes). Just discovered Scottish a Catineaux which has become a favourite - is Catineaux a place ? anyone know anything about the origin other tthan it is in Bal Folk/   and the original Massif Central pink or blue book.
Paul
Paul
Location NE Fife

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »

Feels good to know that many of us are in the same boat. Perhaps I need to build a routine. Trying hard to motivate students at a distance at the moment, which is hard for them as the year 11 and 13 (16 and 18 year olds) effectively abruptly finished their formal education without the celebrations and tests, so they feel at a thoroughly loose end. I'm trying to get them to consider any online learning courses, but am finding it hard to follow my own advice.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 08:26:11 PM »

With all bowling cancelled,I thought I would leave the box alone for a while and concentrate on the garden. The other day a neighbour called out for me to play a few tunes while I sat out at the front of our house enjoying the sun.. Today I had my 3rd session. My neighbours really are real gluttons for punishment.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 09:00:46 PM »

I'd forgotten about our local bowling clubs, but the weather has been miserable. I hope they can maintain the greens for when they can meet again. I wonder if they could practise two at a time on different rinks?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 09:07:07 PM »

Just discovered Scottish a Catineaux which has become a favourite - is Catineaux a place ?

Collected by Jean Blanchard from Monsieur Catinaux - I have his Accordéon Diatonique album in which he says of this tune:
"La Scottish à Catinaux vient du Puy Lacaux, en Marche, où monsieur Catinaux, dans son auberge, joue de sa vielle, avec un style très vivant"
(The Scottish à Catinaux comes from Puy Lacaux, in Marche, where Mr. Catinaux, in his inn, plays his hurdy-gurdy, with a very lively style)

Note spelling of Catinaux, which I've just checked carefully... to my relief I found I have spelt it right on my YouTube rendition, but I probably checked my CD booklet at the time...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Peadar

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »

Motivation is low. Personally I just feel exhausted in between feeding sheep and trying to get online to access the intranet.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Peadar

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 10:03:41 PM »

With all bowling cancelled,I thought I would leave the box alone for a while and concentrate on the garden. The other day a neighbour called out for me to play a few tunes while I sat out at the front of our house enjoying the sun.. Today I had my 3rd session. My neighbours really are real gluttons for punishment.

You've got sunshine?

I might just try that....the neighbours are too far away for me to hear them shouting at me to stop.

And the novelty value of that three voice Pancotti hasn't worn off yet.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49:18 AM »

I'm still practicing 4 or 5 times a week and steadily improving my consistency. I'm working on eliminating silly mistakes and trying out ridiculously complicated tunes that I might never ever play out.
Keith the fiddle player lives about ¼ mile away and although we can walk past each other's house and wave greetings we obviously can't sit down and play together.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 08:55:47 AM »

I'm still practicing 4 or 5 times a week and steadily improving my consistency. I'm working on eliminating silly mistakes and trying out ridiculously complicated tunes

That's pretty much my attitude too. Mind you, if my friends have been doing the same, it's going to be one hell of a session when we get back together   8)

Little Eggy

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »

It’s odd.  Thought I’d be playing a lot more but w
with a daughter on NHS front line, and relatives and friends in the highly vulnerable groups I’m finding it hard.   My wife’s on various sewing/arts forums and they are saying the same thing.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »

I've been trying to think of suitable tunes to play in support of the NHS - I think Dr Finlays Casebook is a bit dated...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 01:43:22 PM »

Suitable tunes...
The Perfect Cure ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal