Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?  (Read 6564 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2020, 02:16:08 PM »

Suitable tunes...
The Perfect Cure ?

Definitely should be on T.O.T.M. list !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »

Collected by Jean Blanchard from Monsieur Catinaux - I have his Accordéon Diatonique album in which he says of this tune:
"La Scottish à Catinaux vient du Puy Lacaux, en Marche, où monsieur Catinaux, dans son auberge, joue de sa vielle, avec un style très vivant"
(The Scottish à Catinaux comes from Puy Lacaux, in Marche, where Mr. Catinaux, in his inn, plays his hurdy-gurdy, with a very lively style)

Thanks v much for that - and the correction of the spelling

Hope that Monsieur Catinaux ( or his descendants will be soon be playing his hurdy gurdy in his inn again
Paul
Location NE Fife

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2020, 05:08:16 PM »

I've been trying to think of suitable tunes to play in support of the NHS - I think Dr Finlays Casebook is a bit dated...

J

For he's a Jolly Good Fellow - poor NHS staff having a good sleep and then …...
Paul
Location NE Fife

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »

Other possibilities:

Staying Alive.
I Will Survive
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2020, 05:52:19 PM »

Indirectly supporting the NHS...
Splendid Isolation
And more directly...
The Doctor (lots more "Doctor" tunes there...)
There's also St James'  Infirmary, Locke Hospital...

Well... you get the idea - just search www.folktunefinder.com for appropriate keywords. I've picked up some gems in the past that way.
Or http://abcnotation.com/search
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »

The Doctor (lots more "Doctor" tunes there...)

Di di di dum, di di di dum, woo hoo etc.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2020, 06:02:53 PM »

Sick and Very Bad, a somewhat queasy sounding slip jig.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Grape Ape

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2020, 07:19:58 PM »

I’m going to try to do some playing tonight I think.  To be honest, I’m not feeling it or much of anything right now.  I want to force myself. I have friends that are now unemployed- not at all a good place to be in the good ol’ USA- and feel like I can’t complain that my job (selling wine) was deemed essential and how that actually makes me feel disposable. I am sad for my kid who’s 8th birthday is coming up.  She was asking about her party the other day and I had to tell her the truth.  It hasn’t been a good year for me anyway but this has certainly sent things further down the tubes.  I wish everyone health and suggest squeezing all the more for those of us not feeling it. Videos are always welcome as I still enjoy those and maybe one will inspire me.  I am just so worried for everyone- the restaurants I sell to that will never reopen, people that are sick or jobless- if I was a religious man I suppose I would be praying fervently- but instead I just worry. (See not all Americans have an empathy deficiency) I really hope everyone here stays safe. Though I have only met a few of you- I feel like I know you all just the same. Peace and break those bellows Melnet! You are the soundtracks to my life.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »

I feel you, Grape Ape.

Peadar

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »

8 o'clock approaching. It is a beauiful calm evening looking down An Linne Sgitheanach. I am just going to take the box on the front step and play and remember all the health workers on the frontline.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:10:35 PM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »

We clapped as did the neighbours around!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 08:09:02 PM »

Just been for a quick clap from the bedroom window (to show support for NHS staff). Next a glass of wine and a tune  :|glug :||: Very strange times but I am fortunate - retired, secure pension, nice house and garden and a hobby that can be done alone indoors. Lots worse off. Hope you all keep well.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »

Just waiting as in about 20 mins having a group call with our Morris people.
The equivalent of a post practice pint and chat.
Dunno if it'll work, fingers crossed!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Grape Ape

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »

I feel you, Grape Ape.

Thanks Gena. And sorry to be a downer. Hopefully a few well earned beers and a squeeze tonight will set me right again.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 08:50:12 PM »

Grape Ape, I know what you mean. I think I went through all five Kübler-Ross stages of grief in rapid randomly recurring order last week. I came out the other side with the intent to focus on the things I can control, and to try to let go of worry about the rest of it. I think for many of us, practicing an instrument and seeing improvement helps give us a sense of control over a little part of our world and so I'm sure it's a good thing.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »

focus on the things I can control, and to try to let go of worry about the rest of it. I think for many of us, practicing an instrument and seeing improvement helps give us a sense of control over a little part of our world and so I'm sure it's a good thing.
Well said. My experience has been similar.
I have given up following most of the depressing parts of the news, and I have certainly found that the feeling of my life being distantly threatened has focused my mind on what's important, and doing what I can as well as I can.

Videos are always welcome as I still enjoy those and maybe one will inspire me.
Though I have only met a few of you- I feel like I know you all just the same. Peace and break those bellows Melnet! You are the soundtracks to my life.
I think we might have briefly met in Canada once.
I'm working on my videos, because I want to anyway, but thank you for the reassurance that it's worth doing, which it is if it brings a few moments of pleasure to others.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

RustyReedz

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2020, 11:04:12 PM »

I’m not playing either. I live in an apartment building in NYC and I don’t want to disturb the neighbors who are all on “PAUSE” (self quarantine/social distancing). Also the mood is just different nowadays. Instead I’m using all this free time to restore a CBA I had lying around.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2020, 11:08:51 PM »

We clapped as did the neighbours around!
All of our street was out clapping. Heartening.
Grape Ape, I'm sorry for your daughter's birthday party. It's mine next week (2nd April), which is fine as I hate birthdays, but I didn't at 8. The first of my friends to become 'let go' happened this evening, and I worry too for my old friends in the Philharmonia Orchestra, as that is essentially self-employed. I have the bonus of having my kids home, and that's lovely. My son was trying to explain particle physics to my wife, and my daughter was making dance tick-tocks (for those of you without kids that age, it seems to be the latest way of uploading a brief, high energy video of whatever seems to be going around. I'm normally a glass half empty person - no, really? I hear you cry, but the better weather, the time with family and the ability still to get out on my bike (very rural here) has some settling aspects.
Perhaps you could recommend a decent bottle of wine for me? I like Tempranillo, but also Shiraz, and Cabernet and Grenache, not keen on Merlot, Pinot. Let me know, and we could share a bottle a continent apart (which means I get to drink the lot my end).
A few weeks ago my daughter got a confirmation that she hadn't got into the dance school she really wanted (it's ok, she's got into another good one in London), but I was actually in Leeds (city of Northern Dance School) when she found out. I kicked the building for her as I went past. It felt so good, even though I had to explain it to my colleagues.
Best of luck with the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:31:50 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Grape Ape

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words. I know we must all be feeling the same way to one extent or another.  P&T my wife teaches dance here in Ohio at the local University. They are desperately trying to figure out how to put the classes online- no easy task for dance.  Wine wise- I’ve always been a French kinda of guy- Rhones and Bordeauxs are my favorites- Burgundies as well but a bit expensive. I also love a good Napa Cab, but those are becoming increasingly expensive these days- and Oregon Pinots are up there for me too. But to be 100% honest- these days I drink mostly craft beers- it’s why my waistline has grown.... I feel a bit calmer knowing I have the next three days off and at home instead of in the front lines.  Oh and to Anahata- as much as I would like to meet one day that must have been someone else you met in Canada.  It seems strange that I am now not allowed in Canada. Perhaps it’s not strange but fitting. I don’t know. The world has changed too quickly in my lifetime.

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2020, 02:32:56 PM »

Quote from an air stewardess on TV "Tough times past, tough people don't" says a lot
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal