Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?  (Read 6567 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Anyone else not picking up their box at the moment?
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2020, 05:34:08 PM »

Anahata- as much as I would like to meet one day that must have been someone else you met in Canada.

Sorry - it was another melnetter certainly, and I can't remember who. tjsmithdog5 was there too...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2020, 06:17:40 PM »

Quote from an air stewardess on TV "Tough times past, tough people don't" says a lot
My favourite stewardess quote was to a mischievous Mohammed Ali. She asked him to buckle up, and he said: Honey, Superman don't need no seat belt. She replied: Superman don't need no airplane. Buckle up.
Hope it's true.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

steveh

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »

A friend of mine put the following on facebook recently. it could explain why we are all finding it difficult to keep motivated to play.  - On a book group page that I'm a member of, someone asked if people were finding it difficult to read. Almost everyone said they were. This was an interesting explanation from one of them:
"It is a trauma response. Your amygdala is stuck in fight or flight mode, and because it can do neither with this virus, it's putting you in "play dead" mode. It's a survival thing. It helps to preserve energy for when we can fight or flight.
The amygdala also pumps our bodies full of hormones like adrenaline and cortisol in preparation for that fight or flight response, but again, because we're able to do neither, they're causing us to do some behaviours that are weird for the individual. They are the reason we feel restless and can't settle to anything, as well as feeling exhausted all the time."

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »

That explains why I've mostly stopped watching political videos and listening to the news and current affairs discussions. It just makes me angry and depressed, in that order, and there's no doubt about the adrenalin being created and wasted.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Howard

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2020, 11:41:21 AM »

“Restless but can’t settle to anything” is pretty much how we feel. We’re managing to keep taking a bit of exercise, but my wife has hardly done any sewing lately, and I have only played the pipes in a desultory way, and the box even less. Time to find a project and a sense of direction.  :||:
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2020, 11:57:33 AM »

"It is a trauma response. Your amygdala is stuck in fight or flight mode, and because it can do neither with this virus, it's putting you in "play dead" mode. It's a survival thing. It helps to preserve energy for when we can fight or flight.
The amygdala also pumps our bodies full of hormones like adrenaline and cortisol in preparation for that fight or flight response, but again, because we're able to do neither, they're causing us to do some behaviours that are weird for the individual. They are the reason we feel restless and can't settle to anything, as well as feeling exhausted all the time."

At first I thought "now I have lots of time to practice and read" but most days practice wasn't working and then I just played some tunes I already know well, new stuff was complicated because it seems I can't concentrate as usual ... reading easy stuff works for about 10 minutes, then my mind wanders and I need to read the same paragraph over and over ... then lastly I was able to play better quite early in the morning, first thing, ... but then, on thursday a friend passed away, the first known coronavirus victim of my entourage, and now it's more stress again ... yes, he was a heavy smoker for years and not too healthy, but still, at 76, it's a hard blow ... we couldn't say goodbye ... and now he's being kept cold somewhere because a lack of coffins here in Madrid ...

As a student, about 50-55 years ago, I was very involved with politics, ... then something happened, or little group was betrayed and we finished in jail ... the betrayer started an important political career that evening ...

Serious politicians? Maybe a few of them, but it's so complicated to find out ... ymmv ...
Carpe diem, C.

Little Eggy

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »

Corinto.  What can I say?   My thoughts are with you and all your family and friends.  Some things are much more important than melodeons.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2020, 04:13:22 PM »

Au contraire: this is the perfect time to learn new tunes, new techniques, go through our set lists, etc.
More time at home = more time to practice  :||:  :|||:  :|glug
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:39 PM »

I was going to post this morning but deleted it:
This is all about what is happening in your mind.
Having recently read 'The Inner Game of Music' I learnt a lot about me, why I sometimes flip out of a tune when it was going so well, and why sometimes nothing seems to go well.
We all have two opposing things in our heads, the deeper musical self which is probably what we tap into on those occasions when we are playing really really well.
The other times there's this little conversation going on and that distracts us.
'Oh this is going well...'
'Watch out for the tricky bit...'
'I must be a melodeon God.....oops. B*gger what happened there?...'

If you are really concerned about the situation, a loved one, elderly parent etc. then if your mind keeps flipping to those thoughts it is difficult to zone out and practice properly.
I suspect this is what is happening to a lot of people.

Just after finishing the book we embarked on the final throes of moving house after a stressful wait to finalise exchange of contracts and setting a moving date. At times my mind was so pre-occupied with that I barely touched my box. I didn't have the space in my head to play, the little voice was asking me what I'd packed, where it would go, had I finished packing a room etc.

Yes it is an ideal time, with self isolating and keeping one's self to one's self to get some good practice in...... but only if you can mentally switch off to allow you to concentrate on playing.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2020, 07:02:46 PM »

Corinto.  What can I say?   My thoughts are with you and all your family and friends.  Some things are much more important than melodeons.

Very true...sympathy from here also
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Grape Ape

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »

Corinto it sounds like there is so much to the story of you as a student. My thoughts are with you.

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2020, 09:42:53 AM »

Thanks to all.
Carpe diem, C.

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »

My thoughts also with you Corinto, I can perhaps appreciate in a small way what you're feeling because I also lost a friend very recently - not to Corona, but was also unable to bid him farewell.  We have resolved to hold a big session and celebration of his life once this is all over, and that gives us something at least to look forward to. 
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk

Andrew Kennedy

• Regular debater
    • About Sword Dancing
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »

I'm still playing, but it occurred to me this week that with all the cancellations I've finally got an opportunity to send my favoured Morris melodeon away for an overhaul without having to do without it at any bookings. It went in the post to Mike R today. A small silver lining, but it's something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal