Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Acorn Instruments web site updated.WE ARE STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS  (Read 3375 times)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments

Acorn Instruments are still open
The web site has now been updated
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Coronavirus and Acorn Instruments stock.

I have been asked more than once in the last few weeks about my stock of instruments and the transmission of Coronavirus.
I would like to inform customers that I do my best to minimise the risk to customers.
All new instruments has been in stock since well before the virus broke out in Italy
Most pre owned instruments have also been in stock since before the virus appeared in the UK.and the one instrument that came in lately was from a known customer and at this moment will not be put on sale
I hope this helps,
Acorn Instruments are open for business but no office visits
UPS are still delivering therefore I can still supply any stock instruments next day delivery subject to the carriers.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for

hallelujahal

• 'Blood & Fire'
Re: Acorn Instruments web site updated.WE ARE STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:12:50 PM »

Best wishes Pete😁

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:30 PM »

Current estimates are that SARS-CoV-2 (the virus) can survive on surfaces for up to 5-7 days, depending on source. If you keep your instruments untouched for about 2 weeks and only then put them on for sale, you might argue that there's little to no chance of any virus alive on it. (Mind you, I'm no virologist.) If you yourself are sure that you don't carry the virus, your customers should be relatively safe to buy instruments from you (and they could also let the instrument sit for two weeks in its parcel after receiving it from you, just to be on the safe side).

Again: NOT a virologist. Just a suggestion on how things could be handled.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 07:07:29 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/25/how-long-coronavirus-lasts-on-surfaces-packages-groceries

The New England Journal of Medicine just published a study that tested how long the virus can remain stable on different kinds of surfaces within a controlled laboratory setting. They found that it was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours.

But it’s important to note that the amount of virus decreased rapidly over time on each of those surfaces. And so the risk of infection from touching them would probably decrease over time as well.

This would appear to be the study referred to above.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:09:40 PM by Stiamh »

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »

I,ve been getting a bit of stick on social media and by private messages about staying open,people suggesting that melodeons are not crucial supplies.
This is my reply,
I expect there are a few people on this site who possibly think the same thing.

I can understand your comments..I am a sole trader, mail order and manufacturing is not closed down.Over the last few years I have attended and supported many melodeon tuition events all over the country,sometimes with costs that are not recouped by sales. I also support a melodeon tutor.If by staying open,just one person who purchases an instrument from me to learn to play and is kept from going stir crazy over the next few months,and that one person books on with a tutor,that also supports a professional musician who's income has been lost. at the moment by canceled gigs. I therefore think my staying open is justified.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »

Good luck Pete - it's a tough time for us all, and I hope it goes well for you.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 04:02:18 PM »

Agreed Pete

You have closed to personal callers, and you have no other workers on site so social distancing is in place. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 05:25:10 PM »

I am not sure why the authorities seem to want us to be miserable, while staying safe. I am pretty certain I am most exposed when shopping. There have been no delivery slots down this way since the whole thing took off.

I agree that putting deliveries into a safe place and washing after receiving them is sensible, but that isn't happening with my shopping. Totally impractical.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 05:40:42 PM »

I think you are doing exactly the right thing, cannot understand why anyone would disapprove. You are following the separation regs. and supporting the economy. In fact the government wants mail order traders to keep going. I agree that face to face shopping is the main risk factor, so I go as rarely as possible.

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »

Hi Peter

Amazon is still going full pelt, so there is no reason why any other mail order business shouldn't carry on.

Don't let the moaners get you down.

All the best

Tiposx

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 07:09:30 PM »

I cannot understand why you have had personal grief about your enterprise. Makes no sense to me.
I wish you well in such extraordinary times.
Take care, and I hope to catch up with you in person when it calms down.
Cheers.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »

Sorry you're getting grief, Pete.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Matthew B

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »

Interesting definition of "crucial supplies" -- playing music is one of the things unchanged in lockdown.  Last week I loaned a (sanitized) Hohner 1040 to a self-isolating neighbor.  I'm now giving him daily lessons over the internet, much to his partner's delight.  Apparently he was previously somewhat "under-occupied". She tells me a five minute recorded lesson now keeps him busy for hours at a time. 

When Shackleton and his crew abandoned the Endeavor they sacrificed the carpenter's cat (unessential), but kept the meteorologist's banjo (essential).

So no hostility from here -- thanks to you and others helping keep us occupied in these strange circumstances.  Instruments, online sessions from the shed/pub, Tune of the Month challenges . . . . all brilliant!
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 08:24:44 PM »

Don't let the b******s grind you down, as they say.
Steve from Wakefield

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »

Stick in there, Peter.
I have a cunning plan. If any of those boxes need to be isolated from each other, our house has a separation distance of 100 miles and we're self-isolating. Just a thought.
I hope you delay your decision about running Bellows and Pins for as long as possible. I'll leave Whittonstall open until June but your weekend   might be our next opportunity to attend a workshop.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 11:57:39 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that your getting grief over this, Pete. You have made exactly the right decision. The critics need to develop a sense of perspective. The risk from a sole trader keeping a mail order business open, having taken all reasonable precautions, is minimal.

After a week in which Hawes has been inundated with visitors who have stripped our local shops bare and have ignored all instructions to stay at home and to keep 2 metres away from everyone else, the police have belatedly arrived to set up checkpoints to turn them around and send them home. Those visitors are selfish and irresponsible; what Pete is doing is proportionate and reasonable. Just ignore the trolls, Pete.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 12:29:12 AM »

Late coming to this thread but just echoing what everyone else has said, Pete. Carry on doing what you you are doing. I know that you are acting responsibly and thoughtfully.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »

I echo Steve's comments, just keep going Pete. Although I am not in need of your excellent service at this time I'm sure others are, if only to help them through this difficult time. Many regards Pete, Chris D
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Roger Howard

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »

For what it’s worth, Pete, may I express my support, too? Keep going.  :||:

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal