Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acorn Instruments web site updated.WE ARE STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS  (Read 3378 times)

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
Re: Acorn Instruments web site updated.WE ARE STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »

Of course you should stay open, Pete. Within the rules, we all must try to find the best way to normalize our day to day, if posible.
Carpe diem, C.

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 11:26:27 AM »

Keep on keeping on Pete. You are operating a safe business, in a responsible way. Cheers, Dave
Castagnari Mory D/G.  Saltarelle Bouebe D/G. Hohner Club 2 C/F. Bachenbulach Bb/Eb. Matzini C/F. Some of them even work.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »

This situation brings out the best and the worst in people. I’ve seen a few examples of people being lectured about what they should/shouldn’t do, by others clearly under their own stresses and strains. Notes on cars, being told whether they think you should/shouldn’t be trading. That kind of thing. It shows us up for what we are.

mory

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »

Can't make up my mind if this is innocent naivety or some thing else, it certainly raises more questions than answers. What's wrong with doing what everyone's been advised to do.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »

Well done Pete. Correct procedures in place.
In addition, Wesson Accordions is still open for mail order too.
Stocks are running low so special offer this week - buy one, get one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:59:28 PM by Rees »
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

mselic

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »

Well done Pete. Correct procedures in place.
In addition, Wesson Accordions is still open for mail order too.
Stocks are running low so special offer this week - buy one, get one.

;D With a deal like that, I’ll take two!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »

What's wrong with doing what everyone's been advised to do.

Because:
(a) Pete has to make a living, which means making some money to buy food, pay bills, etc.
(b) He is not at present contravening any of the new regulations.
(c) He is extremely conscious of health and safety. As has been pointed out, correct procedures are in place. The responsible way in which he operates his business means that his customers are at very low risk of infection.
(d) His customers can make up their own minds whether to buy from him or not.
(e) What he is offering (i.e. instruments, advice, the ability to make music) could make a real positive contribution to someone's mental health in these otherwise worrying times.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »

Here in New York State, all "non-essential businesses" have been ordered to move 100% of their staff off of the job site. This is to reduce gatherings of people. Working from home is encouraged and sole proprietors are automatically exempt from this rule whether they are "essential" or not. I imagine it is similar in other places.

Many businesses and self-employed people are coming up with very creative ways to keep their businesses afloat while working at home or alone.

I am not terribly concerned about mail order. The virus is primarily spread by person to person contact. Transmission on surfaces is at most a secondary mode. The virus rapidly dries out and dies off over time. If you want to be extremely cautious you can leave the package sitting for a day or two before handling it.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »

Can't make up my mind if this is innocent naivety or some thing else, it certainly raises more questions than answers. What's wrong with doing what everyone's been advised to do.
My worry for Pete, and others for example taking the recommended exercise slot, is that we ARE following advice. Yes, some people are deliberately bending the advice - e.g. the cyclist who did a 200 mile ride, because it was only one exercise slot that day. At the moment we are waiting to see if cyclists are continuing to break the advice, in which case we'll be banned from riding as our exercise activity - which I'd hate to happen - a moderate solo ride is keeping me sane, and is legal, and within the advice.
Unless I've interpreted the advice incorrectly, Pete is following the current advice and is being 'hated on' - one, because (understandably) people are genuinely and rightfully scared, but also because people like to point fingers. Also people like the perception of fairness, and if they are on a zero hours contract, and without work then it can seem 'unfair' that others have found a temporary way to continue.
We'll all have our different line in the sand over these things, I wouldn't drive to a spot to exercise for example, but if someone living in a tower block does I don't know that I'd be shouting at them. Difficult times indeed. We've just had our first 'hitting-home' of the virus with someone we know from church having died, and I feel for everyone who is scared of this (I feel that I should point out we haven't had any contact with him since the vulnerable were advised weeks ago to self-isolate).
I'll continue to follow the latest advice, and if that is the wrong thing to do, then the people we should be targetting is those deciding on the policies. Mory, please don't see this as me disagreeing with you, as I have no idea where you stand, or even what your post actually said - because it's possible you were saying that Pete WAS following the advice. And even if not, your opinion is as valid as mine.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »

I live in a suburban housing estate. If I walk from my home I can guarantee to come across a good number of people: going to the local shop, walking dogs or exercising. If I drive 10 mins I am on the edge of woodland  where I can walk meeting almost nobody and can see/hear them a way off and so never come within 30m, never mind 2m! The whole point of risk assessment in to minimise risk, which I believe my driving a short distance does. I feel really sorry for people stuck in big cities without the option of getting out of town easily or at all. The point is to cut down on contacts, if I walk 5 mins down the road and back I risk more contacts than walking all day on the Yorkshire Moors after a 15 min drive. Which is safer? Of course as and when we are asked to stay put 100% I will, just as I am sure Pete will adapt to meet new regulations.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 06:58:17 PM »

I live in a suburban housing estate. If I walk from my home I can guarantee to come across a good number of people: going to the local shop, walking dogs or exercising. If I drive 10 mins I am on the edge of woodland  where I can walk meeting almost nobody and can see/hear them a way off and so never come within 30m, never mind 2m! The whole point of risk assessment in to minimise risk, which I believe my driving a short distance does.

I think that, in some ways, the restrictions on free movement are worse in rural situations than towns and cities. Our police are actively preventing people from using the types of locations you describe, especially for dog walking. We have helicopter patrols designed to stop people from going to our beautiful and remote coastal areas. I don't really understand the why, of this, but we are definitely living in a police state at the moment. That's not supposed to be a political statement, just a description of current reality. I am no longer surprised by anything.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 07:05:31 PM »

The whole point of risk assessment in to minimise risk, which I believe my driving a short distance does.
Similar here. Actually I can walk up the hill and through countryside (foothills of Pennines, near Rombalds Moor/Ilkley Moor) from home, but a 10 minute drive takes us to walks with a spectacular view, some nice green bits of forest and in 2 hours or walking we only met 2 dog walkers, on a nice wide path with plenty of room to pass at a safe distance.

Re Pete/Acorn: sorry to hear people are giving you grief. Perhaps some folks are not responding well psychologically to home imprisonment, and certainly they are misreading the advice about "essential services", which is quite clearly  specifically about travelling to work.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »

The point is, us locals driving a few minutes to secluded places is understandable, but then the Police had to turn around a driver yesterday on the M5 in a campervan from Birmingham  heading towards one of our beaches, about 200 miles each way.
The only way to prevent people travelling long distances is to stop all travel.

I am lucky. I have lovely walks out of my door with hardly anyone in sight.
I can understand someone on the top floor of a block of flats wishing to go for a walk and their only option is to drive.
But.... it increases the risk of spreading !
There ain't an easy way out to keep everyone happy, and in these utterly extraordinary circumstances we must stop travelling to stop spreading.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 08:06:57 PM »

Thank you all for your support.
Customers who have visited my premises know where I am and the surroundings
My office /showroom is at a group of offices in a farm,on the edge of the village with fields all around and I live 300m away,I drive to work.
I walked 5 miles this morning and didn't  see a soul,and this is normal.

I have asked Theo to lock this because I think it has run its course
I will continue as now till government restrictions kick in.

Again,many thank all
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal