Discussions > Teaching and Learning

3 Chord songs on 1 row.

(1/3) > >>

Graham Wood:
Hi there

I'm trying to figure out how the guy in the video is playing a 3 chord song on a 1 row box. It looks like a D box and he is playing in the key of A (first song) so he should be able to get chord wise the 1st and 4th (root and sub-tonic????) but he seems to be getting E, A and D out of it (5th as well). Any ideas how he does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnkFLAkJW5Q

The second song at the 3 minute point in the video is 2 chord ( I like that song) but the 1st one is 3 chord and it's frustrating me.

Cheers

Graham

Anahata:
You can do E+B (a bare fifth) on that box. The bass is hitting an E too and I think if you listen carefully you'll find there isn't a G♯ in the E chords at all.

Or in short: power chords!

You can also do the G and B of a G chord on a D 1-row, and a full E minor. I use those and the C box equivalents a lot in song accompaniments. (and people occasionally ask where I get the chords from)

rees:
Only two whole chords available, D and Em.

Chords on a D one-row:
D - push anything.
G - pull GB the D is on the push
A - pull C#E the A is on the push. I alternate between this and octave pair of A push. Some layouts have A pull on button 1.
E - pull EB there is no G#.
Em - pull EGB.
F#m - push F#A.
Bm - push D/F#, alternate with octave pair of B pull.
A7 - pull C#EG.
Some of these fit with the left hand and some seriously don't!

Graham Wood:
Thank you both for your help. You are very kind people.

This could go down as an 'Ah-ha' moment for Helena's thread....lol. Might actually apply the principal of your valuable advice to the April TOTM the Railway. That tune seems accepting of right hand chords and cajun rhythms sort of have a 'train going down the track' feel to them. Probably way ahead of myself here but something to shoot for.

Thanks again.

rileycat:
Such great music - makes you want to dance!  Thanks for posting.  I wish I could catch 'Cajun'. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version