Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for April 2020: Favourite Tunes  (Read 14618 times)

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
Re: Theme of the Month for April 2020: Favourite Tunes
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »

OK, here goes my first video posting here. I only record myself as a way of identifying and correcting faults, so not meant as a performance. Also I messed up the end, but it almost works, so I left it. Anyway, this is one of my favorite tunes, so enjoy, or otherwise!
Hole in the Wall Henry Purcell.
https://youtu.be/5V12BEvHJ4I
Castagnari Mory D/G.  Saltarelle Bouebe D/G. Hohner Club 2 C/F. Bachenbulach Bb/Eb. Matzini C/F. Some of them even work.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »

OK, here goes my first video posting here. I only record myself as a way of identifying and correcting faults, so not meant as a performance. Also I messed up the end, but it almost works, so I left it. Anyway, this is one of my favorite tunes, so enjoy, or otherwise!

Stunningly fluid presentation, no need to hide anything here. The little fumble at the end just shows you're human, and it's good to be reminded of that once in a while. ;-)
I'm happy you posted this and would like to encourage you to do so again once in a while.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 01:08:53 PM »

One of my favorite ballads, this from Sweden...and why I keep my Club un-altered.
Evert Taube's "Brevet från Lillan", a young girls letter to her father far from home.

https://youtu.be/xl-978liXIg

IIB or not IIB.  What was the question?

That's beautifully played, Dick.
The question must be whether or not to declub and the answer appears to be a clear no!
Do you switch between systems? If so, how hard is that to do?

Yes, I go between stock Erica/Pokerworks/Corso and Corona, Club IIB/de-clubbed Preciosa, Melodica and 60-bass Weltmeister PA.  As Anahata notes, I tend to have a more "box specific" repertoire for each.  Of course I can take most tunes across the various layouts and find I gain some insight via the cross-training.  4BS vs 3BS is a bigger difference to me than any other factors.  That said...

I do have problems with pitching.  It doesn't bother me much to play on either inside row or outside row (chord availability aside), but If I have to play something from the G/C repertoire on an A/D it will often grate on my ear both for being the "wrong" key and for the different pitch relationships in the LH.

Admin...

Sorry for the tangent, but the question was asked.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »

Bravo!!!
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »

Great job. Have you got access to your own stage? Sounds like a big room.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2020, 02:10:07 PM »

Hi All, thank you so much for kind comments. P&T, I work in a university performing arts department, so lucky to have studios to record in. Just did this in time, before lockdown! Aiming to video more at home now, as it is such a good way to improve, quite daunting and revealing I find, but worth the effort! Stay safe fellow melodeonistas! Dave
Castagnari Mory D/G.  Saltarelle Bouebe D/G. Hohner Club 2 C/F. Bachenbulach Bb/Eb. Matzini C/F. Some of them even work.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »

Hi All, thank you so much for kind comments. P&T, I work in a university performing arts department, so lucky to have studios to record in. Just did this in time, before lockdown! Aiming to video more at home now, as it is such a good way to improve, quite daunting and revealing I find, but worth the effort! Stay safe fellow melodeonistas! Dave

Great.  Yes, more, please.  Boost the audio a bit and position the mic(s) such that there's more direct than reflected sound.  In audio this is called the "critical distance".

Thanks again.
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

playandteach

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »

Sounds a similar position to me. It's good to take risks with putting our own playing out there (on less secure instruments perhaps) as it helps remind us of what the students feel when they have to buckle up to perform.
Our high school might literally be demolished before I'm back in again. We're having a new build, but the arts depts will be far worse off for space and character than in the old building, which was a converted Victorian Hotel / Spa.
Well played, by the way. Look forward to more.

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »

"It's good to take risks with putting our own playing out there (on less secure instruments perhaps) as it helps remind us of what the students feel when they have to buckle up to perform"

Absolutely! At 69, I am still trying to re-build the confidence that was knocked out of me at school, (violins un-necessary, I can cope!) and am very much of the " that was great, now lets see if we can make it even better" school of empathetic encouragement. I do hope your department is not as depleted as you fear. The move from old buildings to new, with attendant loss of character and feeling of history, is not always the improvement envisaged. Dave.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »

This is really lovely. It's one of my favorite tunes as well, although I am far too intimidated by it to try to learn it. I hear it is tricky to arrange on a standard 8-bass two row. Maybe I'll just learn it on the tin whistle and call it good! (Even there, the half-holing is a bit tricky.)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

playandteach

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »

Brace yourselves, this might be a little tasteless (the playing not the language). One of the first things I heard that made me think melodeon was not what I'd assumed was this tune by Daniel Denecheau. I came to Delicq afterwards, but Denecheau remains the first real influence. So, what's tasteless. Well, I sort of decided that I was going to make decisions on the fly, and it turned into a bit of a romp, or a rout - mainly in terms of left hand rhythm, but this is the short version - it did go a bit prog rock on the first version.
Sous Les Toits De La Rue Tiquetonne

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »

https://youtu.be/lqi99vTArOY

New Sidewalk Waltz by Chubby Wise

Bob Winquist taught this tune at an old time fiddle workshop some years ago, and kindly posted me the music. It is a favourite for me to play on other instruments, this is my first attempt on melodeon. I had to dust off the Dony 8 for the accidentals.

All the best

Bill

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 08:58:32 PM »

Brace yourselves, this might be a little tasteless (the playing not the language). One of the first things I heard that made me think melodeon was not what I'd assumed was this tune by Daniel Denecheau.

This sounds much better than you give yourself credit for. I can taste the fresh coffee as I sit at my table outside the little Parisian cafe.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 09:43:47 PM »

I'm really after those accidentals to open up wider music for me, and might not care what happens in the left.

I'm not sure why people are so keen on de-clubbing the left hand. It's not that much different to a non-clubbed system, anyway.

Greg...I have found that I am quite dependent on the 4th bass/chord (On the C/F it's the Bb, On the Bb/Eb Club, it's the Ab).
I like how the 4th can be used on both directions, playing either treble row, pull or push. Whereas the original layout, while offering some versatility, took me to places I didn't care to go. I saved the changed out reeds, and can always restore the original club tuning. I have an Erika Club in C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »

I recorded this yesterday I was going to work on tempo and phrasing a bit more, but Alan beat me to it, so here it is, warts and all

Three favourite dance tunes. Twiglet, September the 4th and Beardown Man

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/favourite-tunes
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 08:29:47 PM »

Really enjoyed those, Forrest.

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:50 PM »

Here's one of my absolute favourite tunes to play - a right bugger to learn but once you start it can just go roooound and roooound...

Vals I Lekstugan (Waltz in the Playhouse) by Ebbe Jularbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGOhcfsuFRQ
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »

Well that was something special, Saul.
I'm glad it's not tune of the month though. We might not have too many submissions.
If I can decide what's my favourite tune is, I'll post something.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Ellisteph

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »

A current favourite of mine is the Evalina Mazurka recorded on a 78rpm by the Bohemian Orchestra in about 1933.
An old Aussie box player named Andy Grant had a collection of 78rpm records and Jeff Lawrie (who met Andy in the 1980's) taped a copy from Andy's gramophone.  Jeff and Julie Castles transcribed the tune from its original key of Dm and then transposed it into Em for D/G players. Whenever Jeff and I get together we're certain to play this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNh9SySmuqg

PS. I haven't been able to find any reference online to the original Bohemian Orchestra recording and would love to discover more, if anyone could point me in the right direction. There is a tantalising mention of an Evelina Mazurka recorded by The Melodeon Players on Regal GG20950, but I haven't heard if it's the same tune.

Like Arty, I found this tune immediately appealing. I've not been feeling too good this last 3 weeks or so (persistent dry cough; wonder what that is) and I haven't felt like playing much. This tune makes me want to play again - will definitely have a go at it. Thanks for posting it Ian. I might just have got my mojo back!
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

playandteach

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 11:23:59 PM »

Ian, I missed this posting, and it's great. Saul, also great tune and of course superb playing (didn't Gena also play this recently?).
Looks like time to learn a new tune.
(Ian's)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal