Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossed Keys Fabrik Marke on one-row melodeon  (Read 652 times)

PGHardy

• New Starter
    • PGHardy.net
Crossed Keys Fabrik Marke on one-row melodeon
« on: April 02, 2020, 11:48:49 AM »

I've acquired a one-row open-palette melodeon, as a tinkering/restoration project. I am interested in information about its age and origins. I've put description and photos at https://pghardy.net/concertina/melodeon_jj/melodeon_jj.html.

In particular, does anyone recognise the crossed keys "Fabrik Marke"?
--
Paul  Hardy
web: pghardy.net

pgroff

Re: Crossed Keys Fabrik Marke on one-row melodeon
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 12:13:56 PM »

Hi Paul,

Search under "Dienst, Leipzig" and "International" and you'll find lots of information about this maker, especially from triskel (Stephen Chambers).

Yours looks like an early one, based on the stops. Open button-lever action and brass reed tongues might make this a less durable and comfortable player than some of the most-desired models made by Dienst (those had great steel reeds and enclosed button-levers). But it looks like a nice historical instrument and if you invested in restoring it (which would not really be economical, as restoration might cost more than any resulting increase in market value) I'm sure it would have a sweet sound that could be useful for songs etc.

PG

Peadar

Re: Crossed Keys Fabrik Marke on one-row melodeon
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 05:48:25 PM »

I agree with Paul that it looks like an early Dienst.
I have a Vienna type 2 row with an open keyboard and with the same logo though the legend on mine  is "Marque de Fabrique" (and it appears to have originally been retailed in Cardiff).

The red felt pads under the keys is also a feature of mine. I don't think that the open keyboard should be a problem- the closed keyboard ones have wooden keys under the cover plate, and at present the box with brass reeds plays more easily than the steel reed ones in my herd.

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal