Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online video chat sessions between members  (Read 7844 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Online video chat sessions between members
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 03:18:28 PM »

hanks for that Matt.
I've been trying to recall the term you mentioned that a Newfie player used to describe adding ornamentation/variations to a fairly simple original tune.
It struck me as being applicable to some Aussie bush tunes too, but it's gone now ...

“Humouring the tunes” ;)

That's interesting! A whistle player from Sligo, Jim Donaghue or Donoghue, who was apparently a big influence on Matt Molloy and Séamus Tansey, got a characteristic sound out of Clarke whistles by altering the voicing with a hacksaw. According to the article on him in the Companion to Irish Traditional Music, he referred to this treatment as "humouring" the blade of the windway. Sometimes I regret not having a copy of the OED handy.

mselic

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 08:28:20 PM »

It struck me as being applicable to some Aussie bush tunes too, but it's gone now ...

Please, please share some ‘Aussie bush tunes’ with us!! I would love to hear some of that!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »

hanks for that Matt.
I've been trying to recall the term you mentioned that a Newfie player used to describe adding ornamentation/variations to a fairly simple original tune.

“Humouring the tunes” ;)

Different context, similar idea: Frank Zappa talked about "putting eyebrows" on the music.

That's interesting! A whistle player from Sligo, Jim Donaghue or Donoghue, who was apparently a big influence on Matt Molloy and Séamus Tansey, got a characteristic sound out of Clarke whistles by altering the voicing with a hacksaw. According to the article on him in the Companion to Irish Traditional Music, he referred to this treatment as "humouring" the blade of the windway. Sometimes I regret not having a copy of the OED handy.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 03:07:19 PM »

Posted by Scott on Monday 20 April 2020:
After having fun in the first Stiamh hosted gathering I would like to host another today myself. I have been using Zoom a lot so getting comfortable with it. There is even a setting to turn off the audio compression codec so the audio sounds much better with music.

3PM in New York, noon in California and 20:00 in the UK.

No special agenda, just be ready to discuss our instruments and share a tune or two.

If there is an interest I could pick up my ipad, head down to the basement, and give a virtual tour of the BBB workshop.

Six or so participants would be a good number and prevent 'stepping on toes'. The first 5 or so people to send me a private message with their email address will get an invite by email with a link to join the meeting.

Scott Bellinger

BellingersButtonBoxes.com

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 03:10:40 PM by hickory-wind »
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Online video chat sessions between members
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 08:38:25 PM »

D/C# and C#/D: online chat, brainstorm, demonstration. Sunday 9 May at 9am - 11am EDT (2pm - 4pm UK, 15:00-17:00 on the continent).

Matt Selic and I each want to know more about the other’s system, so that is what we will begin by exploring. Anybody with an interest in semitone boxes of any stripe is welcome.

(Please note: we’re NOT interested in discussion aimed at establishing that any system is better than any other!)

Contact me by private message for the link. In the unlikely event of a stampede, we might have to limit numbers, so first come first served. Thanks!  Steve

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »

Oh, nice!

Will you record the exchange? I fear I won't be at home at the time of this event, but it seems fairly interesting.

(a simple screencast with the built-in option from Windows would do the trick, but if it's not possible or too much of a hassle, never mind and have fun)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 01:49:45 AM »

Will you record the exchange? I fear I won't be at home at the time of this event, but it seems fairly interesting.

Sorry Yannick: I meant to ask someone to record the proceedings but forgot all about it.  :(  There were nine of us present in the end, five players of D/C# and five of C#/D (yes, one person is in both camps) and we managed to keep yakking for close to two hours. Interesting and fun and we may do it again, no doubt with a slightly different topic.

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 11:27:41 AM »

That's no bother, it's good to know that you had good fun!  :||:  :|||:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal