Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning any new isolation skills?  (Read 2930 times)

arty

Learning any new isolation skills?
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »

To be honest, I am both surprised and feeling rather pleased with myself!

I know there are many like me, that have always believed that they can only play with the sheet music in front of them. So, I thought, while I have time on my hands, I would see if I could just manage to play a tune without the sheet music. I chose a tune that I have played for some time, so that I have a fair chance of getting through it.

The first hurdle to overcome, is how does the bloomin' thing start? Eventually I get going, only to stumble three or four bars in, by playing the wrong bass. Back to the beginning, try again, same mistake, back to the beginning, try again, slowly this time. It goes right and I can't think what I did wrong the first two times! Back to the beginning and I try not to think about it this time and just play it. I make several mistakes, each time going back, trying to work it out, not allowing myself to look at the music. I get to the end and I feel pleased with myself. I try it again, from the beginning - less mistakes this time, and again and again.

The next day I play it through first time and no mistakes - I remembered!!! That feels so good - liberating!
I have been doing this for a week now, and I have 6 tunes embedded into my memory, all of which I had been playing for quite a while, with the sheet music.

Six tunes doesn't sound like much but it is a start and I am chuffed that I have discovered that I can do something that I never thought I would be able to do.  ;D

Is anyone else learning any new skills during this time of isolation?
Keep safe everyone, stay healthy.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Learning any new isolation skills?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »

All my learning is by ear, and I can learn a tune fairly quickly, but I can forget it even quicker :) It takes ages for a tune to lodge in my head, I am learning 3 at the moment and the only one I can remember the beginning of, is The Sloe, and that's because it starts a bit like British Grenadiers.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 05:37:46 PM »

Arty...

Good on ya!!!  Tunes do tend to ripen in the subconscious and get sorted for the next go/next day.

Bess twitches!
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »

Er … playing bridge online on the BBO site, and possible recruitment to report xrays in the Nightingale hospitals . This virus has new patterns but still looks like  … a virus 🙂 Some excellent online training has emerged.  They seem to nurse ventilated patients face down 😳 quite the opposite of all the ITU xrays I’ve seen over 35 years. But “here we go” 🙏

Melodeon? strictly for relaxation. Hope to put some videos in the “Corona Folk Club” =  which has an excellent standard. My usual (see pic, our last session) Thursday Belvedere L1 pub sing song has collapsed to a “blog”. But some excellent satirical stuff is coming out of that.

“It's in the evening after dark | That the isolated go to walk, |
     Safer perhaps being up with the lark | Coping with the lockdown”

Learned to use Zoom to contact my diaspora family. My tax might go in early this year 😉
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:22:25 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »

My learning skill is 'how to take out a Leylandii hedge' until I filled up the rest of the garden with brush and twigs ::)
hey ho....
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:29:59 PM »

Learning to play the tin whistle. I have slight asthma and hope this will improve my lungs. When I had to give up the PA and before I got a melodeon
I had a brief go on a chanter. At first ,I could only play a couple of bars before having to stop for a breath.Within two weeks,I could play the  complete verse.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »

Similar to Q, relocating the remains of a couple of churchyard Leylandii's brought down in the gales from a large pile therein to my bonfire heap - I don't think my steel rope is quite long enough to drag yours over Q and at 12mph flat out the round trip to yours on the old Fordson is not attractive even if we were not practising Isolationism.
Also improving mosquito swatting and evasion skills, too many outsiders walking or cycling here and no where can I find the persistence on proboscis data on the Banes of Bogside biting townees then me  :o
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 10:13:44 PM »

Thanks for the thought Broadland Boy.
If you feel like a trip to Devon on the Fordson, it's arguable that the outbreak would be over by the time you returned  ;D
Not sure our Devon and Cornwall Constabulary would deem it essential though!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

arty

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »

Learning to play the tin whistle. I have slight asthma and hope this will improve my lungs.

That's brilliant Mike - benefits on several fronts then!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »

Yes, playing online Bridge (using Trickster).
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 11:39:28 PM »

Struggling to learn some French. We had planned to go for a couple of weeks in July. If there was no lockdown I would not have had the time to study. Now I can study not much chance of getting there. Is that irony?

Peadar

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 01:33:38 AM »

NHS Scotland e-learning: Why infection control matters.....and other modules "mandatory for all staff".
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 08:55:55 AM »

Yes, learning to accept that in our relationship with our three grown up children, the roles are starting to reverse, and that we are now even more glad that we somehow managed to create three caring individuals.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 10:44:29 AM »

NHS Scotland e-learning: Why infection control matters.....and other modules "mandatory for all staff".

Ah yes, the being told how to wash your hands course.  Done it a few times, although obviously not the Scottish version. Although my role is non-clinical I've spent enough time on wards to have been given that training.

How I love NHS mandatory training :)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Mazelman

• Overworked Pokerworker
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »

With all the free time and the ridiculously good weather lately, I've taken up woodworking out in the open air. Currently working on a sort of cajon-like box that can both act as a seat and a kickdrum. If all goes well I can add an extra dimension to my melodeon playing by adding more advanced percussion (other than just regular old footstomping). For now I'm still stuck sanding the thing so it'll still be some time before it'll be making noise.
The Hohners are actively encroaching on the safety of my living space.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »

We've discovered paving slabs hidden around our new garden.
Therefore, stepping out from the conservatory onto four 12" square slabs has been converted into a 3m x 4m patio, just where you catch the afternoon sun.
Perfect for the recent beautiful weather.
Provides a platform to grab a stool and sit and play in the sun.

Today's rain is a bonus and will help bed them in and refill the water butts  (:)
All good for the next outdoor playing session when the sun comes out 👍
Thrupenny Bit

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »

That sounds idyllic! Let's all hope that we'll be able to properly enjoy life's little pleasures in the not-too-distant future, especially along with those whom we count as friends and loved ones! (Though it's a pity that we don't enjoy as much sun up here in the Northern wastelands!)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »

It has been idyllic.
We moved in a period of heavy rain, for almost a month. Then the sun came out and we've had sun since mid March.
The afternoons in the garden has been amazing, and now the hard work has stopped, a treat to sit, drink tea and play tunes.
Last night whilst clapping for the NHS we realised both neighbours are enjoying hearing me play.
Phew!
Thrupenny Bit

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »

..... but Winston, bear in mind I am much closer to the Equator than you  (:)
Thrupenny Bit

Peadar

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 09:52:26 AM »

..... but Winston, bear in mind I am much closer to the Equator than you  (:)

But the further from the equator the longer the summer days!
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal