Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning any new isolation skills?  (Read 2929 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Learning any new isolation skills?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »

Not exactly a new skill, but I've been doing more (and more serious) practice on the cello, my first instrument. The plan is to go though a routine of scales in all 12 keys (this takes about half an hour) and then at least half an hour playing something else, including a Bach suite per day.

I found at first that my hands hurt after playing for so long, as they always do when I come back to the instrument after weeks of neglect, but they are getting stronger and I think that problem is going away.
And as Pau Casals famously said, when asked why he still practised 4 hours a day in his 80s, "I think I am making progress".

I've still not kept this up for several consecutive days in a row; I need to get into a proper routine.
There's no excuse really for not having done this before, especially in the last two years with the combination of retirement and having done most of the essential DIY work after a house move.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »

Been trying to get hold of a Tit-fer (cajun triangle) but they are like hens teeth in this country. So I thought I would try and sample the sound of something similar so that I can edit the wave form to give a ringing and then muted sound of a Tit-fer. (Short for Petite Fer or little iron in English (I like Google)).

So my wife has been very be-mused whilst I wander around the house hitting everyday objects with the metal handle of a knife trying to find a sound I can work on. She thinks I'm stir crazy.

The learning bit is playing around with the waveform to get the sounds I want. No luck yet.

In normal times I would probably go to the forge and get one made. Got to be spring steel, mild steel is too dull. But this keeps me amused in between box practice and other things until I have to go back to work on Monday.

Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »

Peadar: longer days, yes, but... what advantage in the frozen north? ;)

Anahata: still working on D-I-Y but the lockdown means a frustrating time as I can't get to things... like the tip to dump Leylandii!!
Also I've discovered, being my size, using a sledge hammer and wedges to break a large Bay stump messes up your melodeon arms for a long while  :(

Graham: I remember using a 6" nail on a large horseshoe making a pleasing ring..... my girlfriend at the time meant I had a ready supply of used horseshoes, sometimes complete with bent nails!
Q
watching the rain wash the paving slabs clean....
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:12 AM »

"Tit-fer (cajun triangle)"

I thought that you were looking for a tricorn hat!!! Haha!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »

Been trying to get hold of a Tit-fer (cajun triangle) but they are like hens teeth in this country. So I thought I would try and sample the sound of something similar so that I can edit the wave form to give a ringing and then muted sound of a Tit-fer. (Short for Petite Fer or little iron in English (I like Google)).
'Titfer' is cockney rhyming slang for 'hat'. As in 'tit for tat' = 'hat'.
As in 'givus me titfer, I'm just goin' dahn the frog to the bath for a couple o' pigs'
Translation: Please hand me my hat, I'm just going down the road to the pub for a couple of beers.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 12:29:04 PM »

As in 'givus me titfer, I'm just goin' dahn the frog to the bath for a couple o' pigs'
Translation: Please hand me my hat, I'm just going down the road to the pub for a couple of beers.

Cajun triangle is a Tifer

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 12:39:16 PM »

Cajun triangle is a Tifer

Well I know how its pronounced.....now curious as to how its spelt.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSBGAn7O68
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:10 PM »

My Cajun 'tit fer doesn't get played much (perhaps I ought to practice more whilst in isolation !) and could be available though it might need tuning... ::)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »

Over in another thread I've been getting/lurking good advice and honing my video editing skills and, for the first time, managed to make a video with me accompanying myself, which revealed for me that maybe one of my isolation skills improvement goals ought to be guitar.   :(
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »

As a true Cockney (deliberately lost the accent according to my mum), we used rub-a-dub for pub. Of course that's not saying it was the only way.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »

As a true Cockney (deliberately lost the accent according to my mum), we used rub-a-dub for pub. Of course that's not saying it was the only way.
Now you mention it I do remember rub-a-dub. I'm not a Cockney but during my childhood we lived in part of a new town (Hatfield) which was populated mainly by East End folk who had been rehoused after the war. So I grew up surrounded by Cockneys and inevitably picked up the speech. It's mostly all gone now though...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »

Now back on topic:

My current learning project is converting a CF to C#D.  I didn’t think it would be possible but I’ve worked out a plan that involves mainly lowering of pitches.  I’ve done this by tip loading with solder for the lower half of the range and re-profiling the lower part of the reed for the higher pitches.  First tuning completed for the treble side.  Now to apply valves and wax the reeds back in place before the second tuning on the blocks outside the box, and then the final tuning with the blocks in the instrument.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2020, 04:13:54 PM »

"re-profiling the lower part of the reed for the higher pitches"

That sounds rather interesting, you clever b****r! Any chance of some pictures for us dummies?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 04:32:06 PM »

Yes I’ll post some pictures.  Here is a block I did this afternoon.

From the left:

First reed has been lowered by filing near the rivet. 
Second has been filed at the tip just to raise the pitch from 435 to 440.
Third reed same as the first.
Fourth reed tip loaded with solder to drop the pitch by a semitone.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:41:16 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 07:12:39 PM »

I thought it was time to get set up to tune reeds in the box properly. The Club IIIM has aluminium slides for the stops and it's pretty tedious disconnecting and reconnecting.
So I made a frame to dangle the bass end and just started.
It's not as tricky as I thought but I'm going to have to learn the technique of pulling the inside reed out. That's an isolation skill I could do with.
The little bent wire poky hooky things work though. All the pitch M reeds and all the L reeds done.
Tremelo tomorrow. I might ask for help.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

george garside

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 12:44:48 AM »

to pass the time whilst during the 'lockdown' I am spending a lot more time farting about with the one row 4 stopper in G.  In particular I am having a go at playing several tunes that contain accidentals tat the box doesn't have. in other words  honing, or trying to hone the art of faking.

the more you do it the more intreaging it becomes  as does the the  varying possibilities  of  covering for the notes you simply don't have.

great fun that I would recommend to all one row players  and also to 2 rowists pretending they are one rowists .

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal