Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunes at Home during Lockdown - Ian Hayden's efforts  (Read 4564 times)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Tunes at Home during Lockdown - Ian Hayden's efforts
« on: April 09, 2020, 03:08:43 AM »

Since sessions have been outlawed and I'm stuck at home for a while, I plan to use this opportunity to brush up some of the tunes that I half-know well enough on melodeon to play along but would flounder if left to my own devices. The recording process helps me to focus on getting tunes up to scratch (or at least to a reasonably playable standard). I'll post a link to each recording in case someone else might find them interesting. Feel free to add a comment or just ignore them.

My first effort is a jaunty Scottish pipe march called The Sprig of Ivy, which some friends originally from Benbecula encouraged me to learn in a set for the Canadian Barn Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXxzG3j8nAA

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Tunes at Home during Lockdown - Ian Hayden's efforts
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »

Since sessions have been outlawed and I'm stuck at home for a while, I plan to use this opportunity to brush up some of the tunes that I half-know well enough on melodeon to play along but would flounder if left to my own devices. The recording process helps me to focus on getting tunes up to scratch (or at least to a reasonably playable standard). I'll post a link to each recording in case someone else might find them interesting. Feel free to add a comment or just ignore them.

My first effort is a jaunty Scottish pipe march called The Sprig of Ivy, which some friends originally from Benbecula encouraged me to learn in a set for the Canadian Barn Dance.

Great start to your project. Confidently played.

Recording one's playing is a very exposing thing to do. If you're anything like me you only hear the errors.
It has to be one of the best tools for improving playing, though.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:21:51 AM »

[/quote

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:34:30 AM by MikeK »
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »

Thoroughly enjoyed it. This tune has been on my to do list for ages. In a set,it goes well with one I play quite often, Father John MacMillan of Barra.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed it. This tune has been on my to do list for ages. In a set,it goes well with one I play quite often, Father John MacMillan of Barra.

Yes, these pipe marches have a great feel to them. We also play Father John MacMillan followed by the Sprig of Ivy, but I'll need to put in a lot more work before I'm happy with playing it solo.

I don't remember ever seeing any mention on melnet of someone playing a Scottish pipe march on a D/G box. The Battle of the Somme march has a different feel altogether.

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 12:25:29 PM »

I like the idea of this thread. Not had too much luck with zoom sessions, but am using the time to start some serious improvements in playing while trying not to generate grounds for divorce! As T D Greg says, recording ones self is very exposing, but a great technique for improving.
My current sub-project is to learn how to play polska. Learned a lovely one from a video made by Lisa Ryberg and Gunnar Idenstam, using fiddle and harmonium, then discovered everyone and his dog are playing it! But - I find it hard to remember the rhythm having listened to it then moved to the melodeon to play it.
This is my second go at recording it-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIPLY_7otE&feature=youtu.be
Any Swedish players who can give me a nudge in the right direction?
Enjoying the posts so far, thanks all.
Also, how do you insert a hyperlink to YouTube?
Cheers and good health to all,
Dave
Castagnari Mory D/G.  Saltarelle Bouebe D/G. Hohner Club 2 C/F. Bachenbulach Bb/Eb. Matzini C/F. Some of them even work.

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:27:33 PM »

I was thinking of trying a reel in A major on my D/G Dony (with G# accidentals on the helper row) and the Mason's Apron is a classic session favourite.
Everyone seems to play a different version of the tune - some fiddlers turn it into a party piece with a million variations.
This is how it came out today, as a basic two part version. It would've been safer to just play the treble side, but I had to try adding chords ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpT07R9CpWM

BTW there is an Irish version of the Mason's Apron which avoids the G# notes.

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:01 PM »

Hi Dave,

Wish I could help with the Swedish tunes. It looks like you've linked to the youtube video in your post ok.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »

You use the 'insert hyperlink' option, which is the globe icon, second from the left at the header of each reply or quote page.

This gives you the outline code:
Code: [Select]
[url][/url]
which you can then modify with an 'equals' sign and 'text' as follows:
[url=URL of the website page you want to link to] TEXT that you want to appear [/url]

So in your case it would be:
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIPLY_7otE&feature=youtu.be]Dave's Pratie's Youtube video[/url]
Be especially careful to insert the equals sign and to preserve the ] bracket at the end of your web link. otherwise it won't work.

This gives you the following:
Dave's Pratie's Youtube video
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »

Ah, thanks for info All. I realised as soon as the post appeared that it automatically creates a hyperlink when you include a URL. D
Castagnari Mory D/G.  Saltarelle Bouebe D/G. Hohner Club 2 C/F. Bachenbulach Bb/Eb. Matzini C/F. Some of them even work.

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »

Here's a set of Irish reels played on my Tommy D/G. Beginning with the Red-Haired Lass in G then the same tune in A, followed by Crossing the Shannon (aka The Funny Reel) in D. I like the way they sort of chug along when you get in the groove. Good drinking music, I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0T4eYSCjTA
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:36:16 PM by smiley »

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 09:59:08 AM »

I go to the National Folk Festival in Canberra every Easter long weekend, so this year I'm really missing the sessions in the Session Bar with musos from around Australia (and around the world). The Diplodocus reminds me of the last time I shared tunes with Mike Grinter in the Session Bar before he was tragically killed riding his bicycle on a country road. Mike was a master flute maker and this was one of his favourite jigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyWmQ6HV93s

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »

Another tune from "the Nash":
Stuart Sims is an institution in the Session Bar, playing piano for hours at a time with the old Aussie bush musicians over the whole 4 days of the festival.
Stu has played for dances all his life and personifies the old dance music traditions in Victoria. I recall one session in particular, with younger musos earnestly playing collected tunes from the bush music repertoire, when (with a twinkle in his eye) he launched into 'Side By Side' in his lively stride piano style just as two teenage girls came through the door. They spontaneously linked arms and began singing the chorus, just as I imagine their great-grandparents would've done back in the 1930's.

So here's my take on Side By Side, written by Harry Wood in 1927 and still a classic melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykem-VDPEzA

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 04:37:26 AM »

French mazurkas aren't danced anywhere within a few thousand miles of here, so my version of the Fubu mazurka has probably evolved into more of a waltz as I've played it. I particularly like the change from G minor to G major, although I now understand why having Bb on the push (to go with the thirdless G chord) makes more sense for Gm tunes on D/G/acc melodeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgJrc5Ft1Pk

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »

I was prompted to record this set of Irish reels after a melnet member shared a video of a flute & fiddle duet playing the tunes on facebook today.
The Boys of Ballisodare followed by the Five Mile Chase is a classic pairing of tunes that ceili bands use for set dancing.
Played here on a D/G melodeon, and they could be played on a one row melodeon too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAxIXW1c7zo

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »

I found an interesting unnamed hornpipe in the John Moore MS while browsing through the scanned manuscript pages online at https://www.vwml.org/record/Moore2/4494/p77
My arrangement is a 'work in progress' and changes each time I play it, but here's a video of today's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZJIpmbW0VQ

Has anyone heard it before? I wonder if it's in the 'Ironbridge Hornpipe' collection of tunes compiled by Gordon Ashman from John Moore's MSS.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »

I've not heard it but it is a nice little tune and well worth playing!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 02:25:14 PM »

The Boys of Ballisodare followed by the Five Mile Chase is a classic pairing of tunes that ceili bands use for set dancing. Played here on a D/G melodeon, and they could be played on a one row melodeon too.

It's odd for me as a C#/D player to watch you playing these very familiar reels on the G row. I was thinking, doesn't it get boring just switching rows to play (in D or G anyway) every major tune on the push?  >:E

I was also going to point out that these tunes, having no C naturals, could easily be done entirely on the D row, and then I saw your comment about playing them on a one-row. (I assume you meant they could be played on a one-row in D in their original key.)  :|glug

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 11:51:39 PM »

Stiamh, my playing of Irish reels on a D/G box might remind one of Johnson's observation: "It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 01:51:47 AM »

Stiamh, my playing of Irish reels on a D/G box might remind one of Johnson's observation: "It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

Excellent! (:) Though I reckon you could fairly say the same about Irish reels played on a C#/D box by a pom who took up the instrument at the age of 50.

As another wag put it, we are modest men - who have a great deal to be modest about.  :|glug
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal