Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: And now..... Shrewsbury  (Read 1519 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
And now..... Shrewsbury
« on: April 09, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »

Here....
https://shrewsburyfolkfestival.co.uk/festival-postponement/

Just got the heads up from my daughter
Understandable..... just a bit of a reality hit that it will be a long haul.
Sigh....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: And now..... Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »

Yes...I've just had an email. I was just going for two days - the days Naragonia quartet were due to be on. I'm very sad, but it is all so understandable. Lets try to just get through this and hope for better things, whilst realising people are suffering much worse things through the ongoing crisis.
I think I will overindulge on ready meals, beer (and wine), sit on the patio (rain or not) and turn the volume on the cd player to max to recreate the festival feel, and try not to annoy the neighbours too much with my own playing for good measure...

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 11:33:43 AM »

As this overlaps Whitby, I don't see how they can do anything else but cancel that too.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »

As this overlaps Whitby, I don't see how they can do anything else but cancel that too.
I think the Whitby organisers are still in denial of the reality and seriousness of the situation.  :(
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

george garside

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »

very disappointing but unfortunaly necessary.   Looks like we are totally folked up this year!

george  :(
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »

very disappointing but unfortunaly necessary.   Looks like we are totally folked up this year!

george  :(

;D ;D ;D ;D :|bl
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:09:59 PM »

I think the Whitby organisers are still in denial of the reality and seriousness of the situation.  :(
    I think they must have a bad case of " Ostrich Syndrome"   ::)  :-\     

On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Howard Jones

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »

It is quite understandable that events don't want to cancel until it is unavoidable.  That will depend not only on when it becomes safe again, but on their contractual obligations and the financial penalties from cancellation.  We can still hope that things might get back to normal by late summer, although that seems highly unlikely at the moment.

Each festival will have its own deadline. I imagine the lead-in time for setting up Shrewsbury, held in marquees on a mostly bare site, is longer than for Whitby which uses existing venues.

george garside

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »

just to remind anyone who was hoping to participate in 'beginners' DG festival workshops this year my beginners tutor book ( see details below)   whilst not offering the benefits of 'live' tutoring should provide enough info to get those new to the box up and running by next year, if not before!

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 12:52:23 PM »

Each festival will have its own deadline. I imagine the lead-in time for setting up Shrewsbury, held in marquees on a mostly bare site, is longer than for Whitby which uses existing venues.
You could well be right, Howard. But Sidmouth was cancelled over a week ago and that makes use of a lot of existing venues - pubs, clubs, etc. as well as marquees.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »

The marquees for Sidmouth used to be booked from one year to the next. As the current festival ended, the bookings went straight in. That was part of the problem when the old international festival stopped. No one had thought ahead.
I imagine the same happens now.

I think Shrewsbury has a two-fold problem, as identified in their statement.
One is returning the site to a workable condition after it was underwater in February.
The other this
"Although the festival is more than four months away and government restrictions may be lifted by August, we appreciate that people may understandably be nervous about taking part in large gatherings... "

They are picking up the vibes from people and similar thoughts have been expressed here. A lockdown might be ended but the virus will still be here and a lot of people realise this.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Howard Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »

But Sidmouth is (was) 3-4 weeks earlier than Whitby and Shrewsbury.  A week is a long time, as we're all now only too well aware.

The tone of some of the responses suggests that some people think it is inevitable that Whitby will have to be cancelled, so they might as well get on with it.  That's one point of view, especially for those who have booked accommodation and need to know whether to cancel that.  However it's not surprising that the organisers want to postpone the decision for as long as possible. 

My point is that each festival has its own circumstances and commitments which will guide when they have to make the decision to cancel. What other festivals do, and when, doesn't really come into it.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »

I have just received an email saying that Towersey 2020 has been cancelled.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:26:19 PM by JD »

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »

The entire season is cancelled - time to face up to it and look forward to brighter days ahead next year  :|||: :M :|glug
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 03:58:54 PM »

;D just started my "next year's festivals fund"  :||: :M :|||: : the first fiver has gone into the pot so if I can keep it up then all the workshops and concerts we want to attend next year will be "paid on" ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 08:56:03 PM »

My expectation is that large scale events like festivals and large sporting events will be some of the last things to reopen as the lockdowns across the world are eventually eased. First will come small shops and restaurants, etc., but I think enormous gatherings of cheering or singing people will have to wait until much later. I suppose it depends whether the policymakers are listening to the scientists, but that's what I would expect based on what I've been reading about the likely course of the pandemic.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 03:59:00 PM »

I think they must have a bad case of " Ostrich Syndrome"   ::)  :-\     

Bollocks! They are 100% normal Yorkshiremen 😉
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal