Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prussian one row two bass G Melodeon  (Read 907 times)

Justin Giles-Clark

• New Starter
Prussian one row two bass G Melodeon
« on: April 10, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »

Hello All,

Recently purchased a one row, single stop, 2 bass G/D melodeon - see pics attached.

Please note I think the one Stop was added later possibly for a strap as it is just screwed into the wood and does nothing else.

It is made in Prussia and after some repairs it is all back in working order.

It came with a wonderful book from 1926 although the description of the one row keys scale is incorrect!

Has anyone come across one of these before and can anyone tell me anything about it?

I have looked through the beginners pages on the website and have seen a reference to a book by Lester Bailey on learning the one row melodeon. Does anyone know where can I purchase this book from?

Thanks

Justin (Melodeon newbie!)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
Re: Prussian one row two bass G Melodeon
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »

[quote author=Justin Giles-Clark link=topic=25328.msg301708#msg301708 date=1586518365

I have looked through the beginners pages on the website and have seen a reference to a book by Lester Bailey on learning the one row melodeon. Does anyone know where can I purchase this book from?

Thanks

[/quote]

I would guess your referring to the late lamented Tufty Swift's How to Play the One Row Melodeon which has long been out of print. It is available digitally, and the inestimable Mr Bailey has produced a link to it previously. He'll no doubt be along shortly to offer more useful assistance.... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »

Thanks

I would guess your referring to the late lamented Tufty Swift's How to Play the One Row Melodeon which has long been out of print. It is available digitally, and the inestimable Mr Bailey has produced a link to it previously. He'll no doubt be along shortly to offer more useful assistance.... :|glug

Tufty Swift's Book

Peadar

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:07:41 PM »

Hello All,

Recently purchased a one row, single stop, 2 bass G/D melodeon - see pics attached.

Please note I think the one Stop was added later possibly for a strap as it is just screwed into the wood and does nothing else.

It came with a wonderful book from 1926 although the description of the one row keys scale is incorrect!

Has anyone come across one of these before and can anyone tell me anything about it?

Thanks

Not quite sure what you mean by "The 1 row key scale is incorrect" , but I am taking a guess that it was written for a melodeon in the key of C.

The book will probably include a description of the scale, a brief introduction to staff notation, and some introductory exercises/ easy tunes with the button numbers printed above the notes (plus a sign for pull notes).

These books are perfectly good starter manuals . Just use the book as though the melodeon you have is in the key the book is written to.

One of the joys of a one row is that it is unashamedly a diatonic instrument- like a tin whistle it plays in one key and no other. 

If you learn a tune on one tin whistle the fingering will work on another but the tune will come out in the key/pitch of the whistle. Same thing with the melodeon.

I am not aware of any one row book written other than for the key of C. Plenty of 2 row books for the D&G box. Those books start with tunes on one row, usually the G row. The tiger trap with those books is that the starting G on a 2 row  is the G above middle C whereas the starting G on a one row (if that is what you have) is the G below middle C.

( I could read music a bit before I started to learn melodeon and learnt my first melodeon tunes in the upper octave completely unable to understand why the fingering given in the book was wrong)

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Justin Giles-Clark

• New Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 03:20:38 AM »

Thanks

Tufty Swift's Book

Wonderful thank you Lester for sharing, very much appreciated

Kind regards

Justin.

Justin Giles-Clark

• New Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 03:34:23 AM »

Hello All,

Thanks

Not quite sure what you mean by "The 1 row key scale is incorrect" , but I am taking a guess that it was written for a melodeon in the key of C.

The book will probably include a description of the scale, a brief introduction to staff notation, and some introductory exercises/ easy tunes with the button numbers printed above the notes (plus a sign for pull notes).

These books are perfectly good starter manuals . Just use the book as though the melodeon you have is in the key the book is written to.

One of the joys of a one row is that it is unashamedly a diatonic instrument- like a tin whistle it plays in one key and no other. 

If you learn a tune on one tin whistle the fingering will work on another but the tune will come out in the key/pitch of the whistle. Same thing with the melodeon.

I am not aware of any one row book written other than for the key of C. Plenty of 2 row books for the D&G box. Those books start with tunes on one row, usually the G row. The tiger trap with those books is that the starting G on a 2 row  is the G above middle C whereas the starting G on a one row (if that is what you have) is the G below middle C.

( I could read music a bit before I started to learn melodeon and learnt my first melodeon tunes in the upper octave completely unable to understand why the fingering given in the book was wrong)

Thanks for pointing that out and yes it is written in C (see attached photo).

Just a little confusing for a newbie!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »

I wouldn't say that anywhere near a half decent whistle player if I were you, it's not quite as versatile as a recorder but you can play chromatically in many keys and bluff your way through the rest using a single whistle.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Peadar

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 06:56:27 PM »

I wouldn't say that anywhere near a half decent whistle player if I were you, it's not quite as versatile as a recorder but you can play chromatically in many keys and bluff your way through the rest using a single whistle.
No danger at the moment then!
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 07:05:08 PM »

8)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal