Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The First Step How to play The MELODEON" - By Lew Stern  (Read 393 times)

Peadar

• Is fhearr Gaidhlig bhriste na Beurla caithte
"The First Step How to play The MELODEON" - By Lew Stern
« on: April 10, 2020, 11:37:03 PM »

I recently got my paws on a copy of this (1928) tutorial for the 1 row, publishd by Keith Prowse & Co. Ltd.

Does anyone know anything about the author "Lew Stern" ?

I would be happy to pdf this - but no idea whether it is out of copyright or not.

Bogsa neo dha......air fhicead

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
Re: "The First Step How to play The MELODEON" - By Lew Stern
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 11:49:12 PM »

He wrote a number of books including introduction to ukulele, ukulele banjo and tenor banjo. I can't find any info on him but found a link to a store that sells his books. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/author/lew-stern/

Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »

Believed to be a pen name adopted by British musician and conducter Carl Kiefert (1855 – 1937) according to a post by his namesake (no relation) on the Banjo Hangout Forum https://www.banjohangout.org/archive/155928.

There is a Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Kiefert with a little more information about Kiefert.

Apparently it was not uncommon at the time for published composers to adopt pen names to (attempt to) circumvent copyright and contract  issues. The evidence that Lew Stern was in fact Carl Kiefert seems a little flimsy, but maybe an email to the modern-day Mr Stern could produce updated research results  brooklynbanjoboy@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:16:39 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers.

Steve_freereeder

• Grumpy old git (sometimes)
  • Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »

I recently got my paws on a copy of this (1928) tutorial for the 1 row, publishd by Keith Prowse & Co. Ltd.

I would be happy to pdf this - but no idea whether it is out of copyright or not.
If it was published in 1928, it will be out of UK copyright (70 years).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:11:14 PM »

If it was published in 1928, it will be out of UK copyright (70 years).

I think it’s 70 years from the death of the author in the U.K.  Either way it’s well in the public domain now.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal