Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HA 114D dating  (Read 673 times)

Nigel.H

HA 114D dating
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:52:07 AM »

I am not sure if this the right section to ask - I will find out ! - but is it possible to date this Box from the fact that it is doesn't bear the 'HOHNER' logo on the front ?  Generally they seem to have the logo proudly emblazoned down the front of the right hand side.  I did wonder if it was a pre-export ( or inter-export ) model, as per the history of the 'Registration Mark' topic, but it states Made in Germany on the back.

It has some age to it.....but these things can be difficult to date, as care and storage condition can render an ancient one immaculate or a modern one a 'crock'.

gettabettabox

Re: HA 114D dating
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:48:34 AM »

Wooden lyre-shaped fingerboard, ..what looks like wick gasket, ... absence of Hohner logo.
All indicate one of the earlier models. It will almost certainly have H type reeds inside.
1960s at the latest, but I think it is more likely to date from the 1950s.
I own Ha114s without the logo, but some have wooden fingerboard and wick gasket and others have Bakelite fingerboard and foam gasket. Likely a transition period in production materials.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:56:21 AM by gettabettabox »

Nigel.H

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 07:52:24 AM »

Many thanks for that. N

mselic

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 04:25:44 AM »

I once owned an HA114D exactly like yours, with the wooden keyboard, cloth bass trap, rope gasket, H reeds and no logo on the front.  I believe these to be the earliest of the HA114s, most likely from the 1950s.  The one that I had had a very nice tonal quality to it, but lacked the volume and brashness of the later models.  I recall it being nigh impossible to get the highest of the H reeds to speak, and the tongues were noticeably shorter in length than the same reeds on a later model HA114D that I also had on hand at the time.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal