Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting EasyABC files to PDF  (Read 1992 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Exporting EasyABC files to PDF
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »

I normally use MCMusic editor for ABC transcriptions, but use EasyABC for displaying tune collections (because of the way the index looks).
I normally create PDFs of scores from MCmusic.

I've just noticed that, if I try and create a PDF of a score in EasyABC, nothing seems to happen (I normally do this in MCMusic).
Can anyone tell me me a likely cause? Presumably it's something to do with Ghostscript, but I don't how to set this up with EasyABC. I did this  for MCMusic OK (years ago), but I can't remember how  ::)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Exporting EasyABC files to PDF
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 10:24:30 AM »

EasyABC to PDF works fine for me. Just to check - is this what you are doing:

1. Load an ABC file into ABC
2. From the top menu strip choose: 'File > Export Selected* > as PDF'

The PDF file should then be automatically created and you should see a dialogue box prompting you for a file name and a location to save it.
* If you have multiple tunes in a single EasyABC window, you can choose 'Export All >  as a PDF book'

Hope this helps.

Edit:
It may be that using MCMusic to create the ABC file is somehow screwing up the EasyABC to PDF conversion. I don't know, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:29:06 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »

My 'go to' on my pc is ABCExplorer, and it exports to pdf really easily.
I think I've tried in the past with Easyabc and failed, but then loaded the file back into ABCExplorer and created a pdf.
I find Easyabc good for re-organising a file of tunes, firstly sorting alphabetically, then re-numbering the x field, but then as said I tend to close it and pick up the organised file again in ABCExplorer.

Dunno why I favour one upon another, I think it's just that one seems to sit easier with me.....
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »

EasyABC to PDF works fine for me. Just to check - is this what you are doing:

1. Load an ABC file into ABC
2. From the top menu strip choose: 'File > Export Selected* > as PDF'

The PDF file should then be automatically created and you should see a dialogue box prompting you for a file name and a location to save it.
* If you have multiple tunes in a single EasyABC window, you can choose 'Export All >  as a PDF book'

Yes, this is how I'm doing it.

Edit:
It may be that using MCMusic to create the ABC file is somehow screwing up the EasyABC to PDF conversion. I don't know, sorry.

I am not working on files created in MCMusic, in this instance.
Also, I am confident MCMusic gives good clean ABC. It is my "go to" editor and people don't normally complain.

I think EasyABC is failing to find Ghostscript, but I don't know how to check this.
I looked for solutions on line and couldn't find anything I could understand  :D

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »

My 'go to' on my pc is ABCExplorer, and it exports to pdf really easily.
I think I've tried in the past with Easyabc and failed, but then loaded the file back into ABCExplorer and created a pdf.
I find Easyabc good for re-organising a file of tunes, firstly sorting alphabetically, then re-numbering the x field, but then as said I tend to close it and pick up the organised file again in ABCExplorer.
Q

That's pretty much how I use it with MCEditor. Trouble is, I'm asking for someone else, really.
Greg Smith

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »

I think EasyABC is failing to find Ghostscript, but I don't know how to check this.

On a PC:

Settings menu | ABC settings... | File settings tab |

Point the program to your Ghostscript executable

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 01:14:46 PM »

OK, sorry for the drift!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »

On a PC:

Settings menu | ABC settings... | File settings tab |

Point the program to your Ghostscript executable

That's exactly what I was after, Steve. Problem sorted, thanks for your help. Don't know why I couldn't find it.
Greg Smith

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 02:28:44 PM »

OK, sorry for the drift!

;D

This is probably related to why you are having a problem with same thing.

If you've got ghostscript installed then just do what Steve said. The default directory when it downloads is C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.23\bin
It's the executable file gswin64.exe (probably gswin32.exe if your machine is still a 32 bit PC).

If you can't find it you can get it here https://www.ghostscript.com/download.html (you probably have it, though, I think it's likely to be what ABCEditor uses).
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 05:54:56 PM »

Ok thanks Greg, and glad you're sorted too.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal