Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting the sound on a webcam mic?  (Read 9830 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Sorting the sound on a webcam mic?
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »

Thanks both.
It is something I have wondered about before, so it is about time I looked into it.
I've just had a play around, and I don't think it is possible.
The Olympus has a mic jack, which is an input, and a headphone jack.
I've tried connecting both to the pc and it doesn't recognise them.
Well, it does the mic jack, but nothing seems to get through and be recognised by my pc. I've even pressed 'record' whilst connected and it records onto the recorder but again nothing on the pc.
hey ho..... good idea but!!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »

The Olympus has a mic jack, which is an input, and a headphone jack.
I've tried connecting both to the pc and it doesn't recognise them.

My Zoom can be a USB mic, with a USB connection. Have you got that?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 12:36:15 PM »

Per https://download.aws.olympus.eu/consumer/manuals/audio/LS-3_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Page 36, There's a bit that suggests Ear jack -> Mic jack of computer, is their apparent guidance on connecting it via an audio cable, but presumably it will only be outputting either playback of recorded audio, or, live monitoring (which can be turned off) - is the '[Rec Monitor]' option set to on?

Page 73, Changing the USB class, this appears to suggest that maybe though some very badly explained settings, the LS3 can operate as a USB mic/speaker for your computer. This may not actually work or exist, however.

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »

Have you downloaded the latest software for your Logitech device?  Here....  https://support.logi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360024849133--Downloads-HD-Pro-Webcam-C920
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 01:56:32 PM »

If you are using the Logitech software there is a 'preferences' tab leading to a series of further tabs, 'quick capture' has a microphone sensitivity slider. I tend to record with it about a third across which is close to default, adjusting according to proximity and the box. (A 4 stop can be quite loud). Proximity as the microphone's position with high sensitivity catches 'machine noise', while a more ambient position captures the instrument in play.

I am not technically minded and work by trial and error with simple tools and proprietary software.  Hope this makes sense and may help.

All the best

Bill

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »

I am seriously loosing the will to live...……
I have played around with my Olympus recorder settings as highlighted by Gena and can't get anywhere.

I've checked with Graham's link and..... that is totally different software to the new version I had last week. It seems much more gaming oriented.
I've downloaded it, and it recognises the model, and all the options are greyed out. It won't let me zoom or anything, just a picture of the webcam!
The other version I got about 2 weeks back was better. That is Logitech Capture, but the original software that came with it some years back gave more control.
The new software stuff is - to use a technical term - absolute sh*te.
There are no preferences tabs ( thanks Bill, but there just isn't ) it seems that as it progresses over the years from my first Logitech webcam ( a golf ball sat on top the monitor! ) it has gradually reduced any ability to adjust anything.

I'm about to rip it off the pc and throw it as far as possible..... but in these lockdown days that could be deemed fly tipping.
Simply - I give up.
There are better things to do, like learn a tune, than battle with this stuff.  >:E
Thanks all
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »

The link I sent you had Logitech Capture as the 2nd download. Don't download the 1st one as I think that is for something different. Might be best to uninstall your Logitech software, re-boot the computer and start again.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 03:03:13 PM »

I think Gena's quite right about the Olympus Rec Monitor setting (P55 of your manual), when plugging the output into your computer.  That should do it!

I've just looked at something called Audio Interface on the H2, which looks as if it allows the recorder to transmit digitally to the PC live.  From my initial try, I couldn't get this to work, but the audio input seems just as good, so maybe I'll stick to that.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »

I've just looked at something called Audio Interface on the H2, which looks as if it allows the recorder to transmit digitally to the PC live.  From my initial try, I couldn't get this to work, but the audio input seems just as good, so maybe I'll stick to that.
Chris. With my Zoom H2, if I connect it to my pc with a USB cable, it immediately powers up and gives me the option to select Storage or Audio I/F. Select Audio I'/f and then Connect. It works really well, and will give you four channels if you wish to select them on the mic.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »

I think Gena's quite right about the Olympus Rec Monitor setting (P55 of your manual), when plugging the output into your computer.  That should do it!

Yes - contrary to my earlier post, which I have now amended, I can confirm that I am able to use the audio interface option on my H2 to connect it directly to the USB port on my laptop. The PDF manual describes the connection procedure.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/458720/Zoom-Handy-Recorder-H2.html?page=73#manual
I record directly into recording software on my laptop, usually either Garageband or Quicktime.

I see Andy has posted a similar message while I was typing this.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Brimley

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »

Andy, while the recorder looks as if it's delivering something, my PC doesn't seem to recognise it, on either frequency setting.  Any suggestions?

Chris Brimley

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2020, 05:05:59 PM »

Ah, I think Steve has pointed out my obvious problem - no recording software on the PC!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2020, 05:10:01 PM »

Ah, I think Steve has pointed out my obvious problem - no recording software on the PC!
You could use Audacity (free!)
https://www.audacityteam.org/
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »

Afternoon all.
As you can tell from up there ^^^ I got fed up with the webcam.
Instead as a diversionary tacticI wondered how my Sony camera would cope with a melodeon.
Absolutely nothing to do with the webcam, but a bit of light relief, and now on Theme of the Moth as a favourite tune.
First YouTube post for a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nof8FjM7tXE

I will take a look at the manual, p.55!
thanks for bearing with me on this.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2020, 09:18:15 PM »

Yeah so that looks excellent? If you're going to record your totm I'd suggest using that! I'd love my videos to come out looking like that, haha.

I'm sorry that this process of trying this out has been frustrating. I have a real old logitech webcam that literally cuts out entirely if the record level in Windows is over 80% - I don't consider it a mark against logitech, Web cams are just weird and a little bit garbage sometimes. They have to pretty much 'just work' with a lot of situations and it's possible that by going overboard trying to make the smoothest experience for their target they've made a device that's unfriendly for any use that falls outside of that. Or it could be there used to be a setting for an option in software at release of the product, then the device gets folded into another piece of software and that option isn't included anymore... (there's another real anecdote for you...)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2020, 09:45:11 PM »

Thanks Gena.
Yes the video really was setting up camera, get my wife to zoom it, press 'go' and leave me alone!
I might not have solved one problem, but my distraction strategy has discovered something else.

I think you're right.
Some webcams work ok, my old one did. This one works for what it was designed for and not for melodeon playing.
Yes it's been frustrating but I think that's the bottom line.
It wont do what I want it to do.

I have had another go with the Olympus recorder trying to get it to become a mic but without success.

I will resort to using my iPad for the virtual session, my camera for new delving into YouTube videos and my webcam for webchat. Not melodeon playing.

Thanks Gena for really trying your best, also thanks to Steve and Chris for your efforts.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2020, 10:42:23 PM »

The sound from your camera is pretty good. You're lucky - I've had terrible sound from built-in mics on some camcorders.
I suggest your next upgrade should be a tripod to save Mrs. 3d. from having to hold your camera.

And if you still want to improve your sound, you might find a bit of low-tech room acoustic treatment would be cost effective. Draping a duvet over a clothes drying rack in front of the most reflective surface (hard wall) in the room or behind the camera would get you a long way. Half of the way I get a reasonably clean sound is by putting a mic closer than a camera could be, to reduce the contribution of  room sound, but the other half is by the room having very little reverberation of its own anyway.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2020, 08:23:08 AM »

The camera was on a tripod, the first time in many years I've used it!
It really was an instant off the cuff experiment. I've never even recorded a video on my camera, as I use it for stills.
I dug out the tripod, read the instruction manual to find out which button to press for video ( ! ) and I played. I did simultaneously record using my Olympus sound recorder, thinking I might splice the two together, but as you say, the sound from the camera sounded ok to me.

Thank you for the hints about reflective surfaces.
The conservatory has much more in it than our old one as a result of moving and downsizing, so there's not so many bare surfaces to reflect, but I take your point, and a clothes airer lives in the conservatory!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »

A thought.
Therefore by implication, recording outside with no close reflective surfaces or 'contained sound' produces the best sound?
.... so long as the birds stop twittering!
Thrupenny Bit

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2020, 09:05:11 AM »

A thought.
Therefore by implication, recording outside with no close reflective surfaces or 'contained sound' produces the best sound?
.... so long as the birds stop twittering!

And you have a windshield on the microphone. Personal, bitter, experience :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal