Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: There was None of this Lazy Dancing!  (Read 7793 times)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
Re: Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »

;D it's arrived 🎶🎶 now to settle down for a happy day of reading ☕️😄 Thanks Bob
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: There was None of this Lazy Dancing!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »

Thank you, Steve.  :|bl

Copies were posted this morning to everyone who placed an order over the weekend. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed researching and writing it.

Hopefully, I will hear you playing some of the tunes at sessions or festivals when they resume in the dark and distant future.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Peadar

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »

15.05 - Mail running a bit late today. But the book has arrived!!!

2nd to declare.

Thanks Bob ;D ;D ;D

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »

Just got back from a walk and on the doorstep was.... a lovely present! Thank you Bob it has arrived safely.

I've just flicked through, this is an extraordinary work.
It is not just a simple tune book.
It's beautifully presented and drew a 'oh that looks lovely' from my wife as  I opened it.
I now realise what Steve means in his comments above.
I shall enjoy reading this with the promise of tunes and stories from an area I no little about.
Thank you Bob, this is a treasure!
Best wishes
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »

I'm glad that Q, Peadar and Ann are happy with their purchases. Another 20-odd books were posted today so should arrive within the next couple of days.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Peadar

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 09:27:40 PM »

I'm glad that Q, Peadar and Ann are happy with their purchases. Another 20-odd books were posted today so should arrive within the next couple of days.
I have had a chance to look inside this beautifully presented book now -only a quick flick through but enough to confirm that this is well researched, well written and well laid out. A social study as much as a tune book. I particularly like that Bob has chosen to present tunes both in the key they were collected and in the keys modern day musicians are likely to use....and then the physical presentation - hard cover, spring back binding, clear type, sharply printed staff notation and illustrations, it even smells good. This is a book to be read and enjoyed.  Thanks again.
P

Roger Howard

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »

Mine arrived today. An excellent production, indeed. That’s my reading for the afternoon sorted!  (:) (:)
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »

Wot Roger Howard said!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »

Bit late to the party, but after seeing all these glowing recommendations I've ordered a copy!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Howard

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 03:46:10 PM »

After only spending an afternoon with it, I’ve begun to realise what a fabulous book this is. The amount of work and the level of care and research is of the very highest order. Congratulations to Bob and everyone else who had a hand in it. It’s something to be proud of.  :D :D
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2020, 03:55:13 PM »

Thank you for all the kind words. Please tell your friends so that I can reduce the book mountain in my spare room.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »

I've ordered a slice off the top of your mountain as well Bob!!
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »

Can I just put in a public word of thanks for Bob's help in organising sending a copy to me in Cyprus?   Apparently I was the guinea-pig for overseas orders and I have to say that Bob could not have been more helpful or more efficient. My copy is now en route to me and I look forward eagerly to its arrival.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 08:00:46 PM »

Thanks, Andy and Graham. Your books were posted yesterday along with several others. Andy's should arrive shortly but I have no idea how long a package will take to travel between Wensleydale and Cyprus.

There is another melnet thread called There was None of this Lazy Dancing! which is the title of my book. Can I suggest that it would be more appropriate to place posts about my book on that thread rather than this one?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:05:25 PM by Bob Ellis »

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 07:27:03 AM »

Bob’s book arrived yesterday. Absolutely brilliant. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Well done Bob...class.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2020, 10:40:26 AM »

Thanks, Andy and Graham. Your books were posted yesterday along with several others. Andy's should arrive shortly but I have no idea how long a package will take to travel between Wensleydale and Cyprus.

In normal times, 2-3 weeks; probably twice that as things are at the moment. I'll let you know when it gets here!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Daz Barry

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »

Got the book today Bob, it's fantastic! Really good quality, excellent content and well illustrated. I'll enjoy having a go at the tunes, look forward to seeing you at Wensleydale next year and you can autograph it!  Daz 😎

RobLowe

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »

Well, a copy arrived in Lancaster yesterday. It is a beautiful book, and full of incredible detail. I love the historical notes, the photographs and reproductions of sources. The writing is engaging and full of fascinating insights and snippets from earlier sources. The whole book is melodeon friendly (hurray!) with tunes presented both in their originally-notated keys and DG friendly keys. There's a collection of popular dance instructions at the back. And all presented in a really high quality binding, that looks and feels great and allows the book to lie open flat. Did I mention it was beautiful? I'm so glad to have bought this - thank you Bob for such an incredible amount of work. (And it's a bargain!) I've got my Bank Holiday sorted...

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »

Bob, my copy arrived safely today and the feedback already posted really says it all  ;D

You should be immensely proud of what you have achieved in this excellent book. All those months and years of research have culminated in a book which is much more than just a tune collection, but really brings the tunes to life in their historic context. Thank you!

Cheers, Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »

Wow. Mine has just arrived at lunchtime today.  It is a beautiful book and the amount of research that must have gone into this is incredible. Great stories and information throughout.  Thanks Bob and I hope I will be able to say thank you in person in the not too distant future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal