Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy Irish reel recommendation  (Read 1757 times)

Sal Rotondo

• Good talker
Easy Irish reel recommendation
« on: May 03, 2020, 04:35:26 AM »

Can anybody recommend an Irish reel that’s relatively easy to play? Thank you
Castagnari Mory, G/C and Dino Baffetti Art. 85 LCGB, G/C

Port Chester, New York USA

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Re: Easy Irish reel recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:17:36 AM »

I assume you're playing a D/G melodeon?

Miss McLeod's reel (in G) and Drowsy Maggie (Em) are two reels that are popular with beginners.
Both tunes are actually Scottish in origin, but they're played in Irish sessions too.
They go well together played as a set, with a nice key change from G major to Em.
Probably a good idea to concentrate on playing the tune melody with a smooth rhythm before adding any bass/chords with the left hand.

A bloke who lurks around here calling himself 'Stiamh' has done some handy learning videos of both tunes on C#/D box:
Sally Gardens and Drowsy Maggie

richard.fleming

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 08:07:23 AM »

I assume you're playing a D/G melodeon?

Why?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Peadar

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »

Richard-  the OP is asking for a suggestion for an easy Irish reel.

After sixteen months of playing my entire dance music repertoire consists of two English reels and two Highland reels...one of which I haven't got anywhere near a danceable speed.

If someone can suggest an easy Irish reel in D that will satisfy almost everyone on the forum

• The vast majority of members whoplay D/G
  • Begginers on Irish melodeon (a 1 row in D)
  • Irish Button Accordion C#/D players
  • Reprobates who insist on playing A/D
  • Irish Button Acordion Players who play mainly in D on B/C boxes 
  • Neanderthals who play C/C# boxes as B/C (but only in G and D)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:10:45 PM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Peadar

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »

Is "The Blackbird" a reel? I don't know the tune.

richard.fleming

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »

There's a set dance and a jig and several hornpipes anyway, and at least one slide and one polka. Previous comment just reflected my resistance to the assumption that 'everyone plays DG'. DG is an unfortunate accident of history in my view - you only have to see the endless discussions about accidentals and helper rows, all devised to try to counteract it's limitations. And if you are struggling with reels, could that be because you have to suddenly find a note on a 'helper row' or among the 'chin-end accidentals' and this completely disrupts the flow of the fingering? I expect people will shout at me now.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Peadar

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »

I expect people will shout at me now.

I have already done that Richard.

I suggest "Roddy MacCorley" ...... usually described as a March, indubitably Irish, but played as a reel in Scottish Country Dance sets.

In the key of G but no seventh so it sits "on the row" of C or G. Bit of a pig on an AD box but what the hell.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »

There's a set dance and a jig and several hornpipes anyway, and at least one slide and one polka. Previous comment just reflected my resistance to the assumption that 'everyone plays DG'. DG is an unfortunate accident of history in my view - you only have to see the endless discussions about accidentals and helper rows, all devised to try to counteract it's limitations. And if you are struggling with reels, could that be because you have to suddenly find a note on a 'helper row' or among the 'chin-end accidentals' and this completely disrupts the flow of the fingering? I expect people will shout at me now.
Why don't we just accept that some of us play 4th apart and some play semitone and that there is no need to slag off each others choices at every opportunity. 4th apart is 'better' for some stuff and semitone is 'better' for other stuff but both can struggle through in some manner with the 'non-suitable' stuff to the standard required by the player. Since there are no melodeon or tune police just do what you want to do.

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »

Can anybody recommend an Irish reel that’s relatively easy to play? Thank you

Hi Sal. There are quite a few Irish Traditional reels, jigs, polka's etc. that are relatively easy to play, but I tend to find that I learn a tune more quickly if I like it. To that end maybe a music book would help.

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1720599580/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and they sort of begin easy and increase in difficulty as you progress through the book. It was written for a B/C box but a lot of the tunes are in the key of D and G.

There are other books as well.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Folk-Tunes-Accordion-Traditional/dp/1847613780/ref=pd_sbs_14_3/257-0877261-6636158?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1847613780&pd_rd_r=fd00130b-0abc-4fe9-a1ff-ee89b4a1b0f5&pd_rd_w=wRlaS&pd_rd_wg=XZzmR&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=60MMHCVJPTQTBP5N2FF5&psc=1&refRID=60MMHCVJPTQTBP5N2FF5
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 12:40:33 PM »

...DG is an unfortunate accident of history in my view - you only have to see the endless discussions about accidentals and helper rows, all devised to try to counteract it's limitations...

You're missing out on a lot of fun, Richard  ;D We see it as enhancing the possibilities. But, this is much discussed already, not the place to go over it again.

I'm afraid I can't recommend any easy Irish reels. I know a few, but I don't really like them much. It would be better if someone with an intimate knowledge of Irish music, who does enjoy them,  recommends some.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »

Is "The Blackbird" a reel? I don't know the tune.
One is a set dance and another hornpipe and song, I don’t know of a reel, but I’m still learning.
I expect people will shout at me now.

I have already done that Richard.

All caps next time!! ;)

Boyne hunt
Shannon breeze aka rolling in the rye grass in D is pretty easy.

Not really sure if “easy reels “ even exist when it comes to reels though.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

mselic

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 02:21:51 PM »

Why don't we just accept that some of us play 4th apart and some play semitone and that there is no need to slag off each others choices at every opportunity. 4th apart is 'better' for some stuff and semitone is 'better' for other stuff but both can struggle through in some manner with the 'non-suitable' stuff to the standard required by the player. Since there are no melodeon or tune police just do what you want to do.

AGREED!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »

Welcome to melnet, Sal  ;D

Just out of interest and apropo of nothing, what type of box do you play?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »

I don't think there are any easy reels! Perhaps the best thing is to pick one that you like and that sticks in your mind? I set myself the challenge of learning one set of reels, just to see if I could and the two that stuck in my head were "First House in Connacht and Wind that Shakes the Barley, I am using a one row box in D. After a lot of effort this is the best I can manage, so don't be put off if it seems like hard work ... it is  :Ph
https://soundcloud.com/tuftyabc/first-house-in-connacht-wind-that-shakes-the-barleywav
If you want to hear them played properly get "The High Level" CD by Bobby Gardiner.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »

Welcome to melnet, Sal  ;D

Just out of interest and apropo of nothing, what type of box do you play?

G/C apparently
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »

Yes - what Lester said, particularly the first sentence.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

SHTUM

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »

https://youtu.be/0dXeJiUvcGA
Here's a reel in Emin, by Gilles Poutoux, starts slow, then speeds up.
 He's worth a look for loads of Irish tunes. - And he manages with one row, so you should be OK no matter what box you have.     Good luck.        John

Sal Rotondo

• Good talker
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 10:13:57 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I tried out "Drowsy Maggie" today and it was perfect: great tune, easy to play and easy to memorize.

I live in the United States and play a Dino Baffetti G/C box: http://baffetti-accordions.com/fisarmoniche/art-85-lcgb/

Thank you all again!

Sal
Castagnari Mory, G/C and Dino Baffetti Art. 85 LCGB, G/C

Port Chester, New York USA

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 10:33:07 PM »

https://youtu.be/0dXeJiUvcGA
Here's a reel in Emin, by Gilles Poutoux, starts slow, then speeds up.
 He's worth a look for loads of Irish tunes. - And he manages with one row, so you should be OK no matter what box you have.     Good luck.        John

I'll second this!
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal