Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two good but rarely played Schottisches  (Read 1320 times)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Two good but rarely played Schottisches
« on: May 06, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »

Two rarely played tunes, learned from Harry Scurfield and Jim Sharpe when we were in the Golden Ball Syncopators in York back in 1978/79/80.

The first is Mum’s Schottische, named after Gabi Scurfield who brought us the tune from Alsace-Lorraine. If you watch the film ‘Cabaret’ the same tune is played in the opening cafe scene. I’ve also heard a recording if it in a Greek restaurant played on Bouzoukis !

The second is Harvest Moon Schottische , I don’t know where Professor Jim Sharpe got it from . Any info on the tune will be gratefully received!

https://youtu.be/0I2QuW6yBIY
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Re: Two good but rarely played Schottisches
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 12:08:05 PM »

The second is Harvest Moon Schottische , I don’t know where Professor Jim Sharpe got it from . Any info on the tune will be gratefully received!

Harvest Moon schottische was collected from the playing of Vince Holland in Mudgee, NSW in the 1950s. It may have been brought over from Europe during the gold rush era and then handed down locally.
Its a popular tune in Aussie sessions, where its usually played in either C or D.

gurdypad3

• Good talker
  • Gaillard D-G. Gaillard G-C.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:29:13 PM »

I'm sure Gabi used to sing something like "mini mini momma has a bon-bon shop" (standt). Or maybe it was Harry  :-\

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 05:49:24 PM »

Two rarely played tunes, learned from Harry Scurfield and Jim Sharpe when we were in the Golden Ball Syncopators in York back in 1978/79/80.

The first is Mum’s Schottische, named after Gabi Scurfield who brought us the tune from Alsace-Lorraine. If you watch the film ‘Cabaret’ the same tune is played in the opening cafe scene. I’ve also heard a recording if it in a Greek restaurant played on Bouzoukis !

https://youtu.be/0I2QuW6yBIY

Lovely...I may address the "rarely played" forthwith... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:51:44 PM »

Harvest Moon schottische was collected from the playing of Vince Holland in Mudgee, NSW in the 1950s. It may have been brought over from Europe during the gold rush era and then handed down locally.
Its a popular tune in Aussie sessions, where its usually played in either C or D.

It turns out our bands banjo player Frank Pallister found a copy of the tune in York University library ! I think it’s the 1967 book about bush songs , I’ve tracked down a copy that’s in its way to me  (:) (:)

My proper surname is Holland - I don’t know if I’m related to Vince, but you never know !
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 06:46:44 PM »

I love these.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 12:35:11 AM »

It turns out our bands banjo player Frank Pallister found a copy of the tune in York University library ! I think it’s the 1967 book about bush songs , I’ve tracked down a copy that’s in its way to me  (:) (:)

That book would be John Meredith's 'Folk Songs of Australia'. There's a second volume too.
I keep going back to it and discovering little gems of info that I'd missed.
It's long out of print, so I could scan a few pages and email them to anyone who's interested.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 01:09:26 PM »

V nice - Just been playing through a wodge of Australia tunes via Iris Bishop's handout's from Whitby. Will take me a bit to get all the triplets in Harvest Moon though

Paul
Location NE Fife

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:29 AM »

Will take me a bit to get all the triplets in Harvest Moon though

The triplets might be easier when playing Harvest Moon for dancing in an Aussie schottische style. I might have a go at recording how I play it.

Here's how the Harvest Moon might be played for an Aussie barn dance. I like the way pikey plays it too, and each would suit their local style of dance.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:26:47 AM by smiley »

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »

That’s great Ian !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal