News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pallets  (Read 649 times)

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
pallets
« on: June 06, 2021, 08:27:05 AM »

Hi,, ..i should replace the skins with new skins, I don't put on a felt , i don't know what the best leather is ... thin or thick ?? very soft or a little harder ??

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
Re: pallets
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 02:55:20 AM »

Easy enough to put on new skins.
I would go with something about the same thickness if it is the bass side so you don't have to recalibrate.
 I would use at least a thin layer of felt if it is the right side.
Use soft leather with the fuzzy side towards the hole. Try to get leather that does not have a thick knap.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 05:49:12 AM »

Easy enough to put on new skins.
I would go with something about the same thickness if it is the bass side so you don't have to recalibrate.
 I would use at least a thin layer of felt if it is the right side.
Use soft leather with the fuzzy side towards the hole. Try to get leather that does not have a thick knap.

Thank you, I have an old box about 100 years old, I would not want to put a blanket on it ,,  i have a lot of different leathers, i think i will find a suitable one

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:36:47 PM »

The felt layer won't change the sound, but the key action will be much quieter.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Peadar

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 11:21:20 PM »

The felt layer won't change the sound, but the key action will be much quieter.
If you are fettling an old "German Type" (e.g. "International" or "Globe" with each pallet fixed by a pair of screws through the pallet arms the kinematics of the action can be thrown out by the additional thickness of felt backed pallet facings).

tirpous

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 04:16:31 AM »

If you are fettling an old "German Type" (e.g. "International" or "Globe" with each pallet fixed by a pair of screws through the pallet arms the kinematics of the action can be thrown out by the additional thickness of felt backed pallet facings).

This can be dealt with by careful re-bending of pallet arms and/or shimming of the whole keyboard assembly.  I suspect the circumvoluted (?) shape of old pallet arms was meant to facilitate this type of adjustment.

Peadar

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 06:48:49 AM »

This can be dealt with by careful re-bending of pallet arms and/or shimming of the whole keyboard assembly.  I suspect the circumvoluted (?) shape of old pallet arms was meant to facilitate this type of adjustment.
I think you are right,  but it helps to be aware of the issue before you have to deal with the consequences. My own preference with this type of box is to do a like for like replacement, accepting that the pallet noise is part of the overall sound the box always made

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 05:38:03 AM »

[/quote]
I think you are right,  but it helps to be aware of the issue before you have to deal with the consequences. My own preference with this type of box is to do a like for like replacement, accepting that the pallet noise is part of the overall sound the box always made
[/quote]

this is how I thought, maybe thick and soft leather is best ??
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal