Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incredible virtuosity on a 2R8B: Øyvind Sandum  (Read 1599 times)

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
Re: Incredible virtuosity on a 2R8B: Øyvind Sandum
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 04:57:44 PM »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

arty

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »

Oh... I thought it was a Trilly, with those switches across the grill and the piston switches for the bass end....
Also, I'm pretty sure he's playing a Castagnari Weilly (4 Voices on the registers) Mine has disappeared into the cupboard, after this, and is refusing to come out!!

Hmmm.... It's difficult to tell. The Weilly and Trilly look pretty much identical. In the video the grille switches are white, like the Castagnari photo of the Trilly, whereas the Weilly photo has black switches. I know that isn't necessarily reliable as the colours could be customisable.

However, in the video he is playing with the 6th switch activated. On a Trilly that switches in just a single M reed. On a Weilly, the same switch activates two treble reeds MM. I can't be sure because the music is so fast and there are so many RH chords and harmonies, but in the few places where he is just playing a longer treble note, to me it sounds as if the treble is just a single voice, i.e. no tremolo, which would indicate a Trilly. But I could be wrong...!

Which ever instrument it is, it is fabulous playing.  (:)

It is, in fact a Weilly - Castagnari have just uploaded this video to their page and they confirm this. Doesn’t really matter which model it is, does it, it is just amazing!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Incredible virtuosity ggon a 2R8B: Øyvind Sandum
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »

Thanks arty for the definitive identification.
It's no wonder Castagnari are using it to showcase their wares.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

arty

Re: Incredible virtuosity ggon a 2R8B: Øyvind Sandum
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 02:16:35 PM »

Thanks arty for the definitive identification.
It's no wonder Castagnari are using it to showcase their wares.
Q

Yes, not surprising....I have listened to this several times now and it leaves me breathless!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 02:49:33 PM »

I'm probably in my minority of one again, but I don't really like this much-it's very impressive and skillfully done, but I wouldn't buy his CD, or go to a concert.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 03:10:08 PM »

I'm probably in my minority of one again, but I don't really like this much-it's very impressive and skillfully done, but I wouldn't buy his CD, or go to a concert.

I'm sure his repertoire includes much that you'd find more to your liking. I wouldn't write anyone off over a single tune.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 05:58:14 PM »

I'm sure his repertoire includes much that you'd find more to your liking. I wouldn't write anyone off over a single tune.

I'm sure you're right, but I had a listen to some of the stuff on his channel and none of it did it for me. I would rather listen to Squeezy, or Andy Cutting, or Anahata and Mary, or...the list goes on. Everyone to their own. We can't all like the same stuff.

It's not that I don't like Norwegian music, either. I do, usually.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal