Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Trichord II - worth a punt?  (Read 783 times)

Geoff

Hohner Trichord II - worth a punt?
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:44:20 AM »

I'd appreciate some wisdom from the forum please.

There's a Trichord II, 12 bass on Trademe (NZ's ebay equivalent) at present, with a start equivalent to GBP150. I've seen comments in the past that the 2-voice Trichord is not so desirable as the 3-voice, and that some of the 12 button basses came out with melodeon tuning. (I have asked the vendor about this, and I think they are most likely unisonoric). The instrument appears to be in reasonable nick, but I suspect the vendor is a second-hand store, so that might just be Lemon Pledge.

I've already got a Double-Ray Deluxe with 12 basses, yet to be mastered, so I'm wondering what advantage there would be to adding the C# row, and losing a treble voice. I have a nascent interest in Manx music which seems to use C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, and G a lot, with a few side trips into D and A. Would it be worth going down the rabbit hole for this box?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:34:55 AM by Geoff »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Hohner Trichord II - worth a punt?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 08:43:48 AM »

From the picture  the basses appears to have offset rows which would be a stradella type.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:52:43 AM »

You'll only really know when you try it, so it’s worth a punt. There are acres of threads in here discussing the merits of BC v BCC#. They are semitone boxes. There is more to think about on a three row semitone box. If you are learning you may find yourself overwhelmed by the choice (do I use the push or pull F# etc)..
For an old Trichord, be prepared to have to rebuild/returb the reeds. These also suffer from the problem mentionEd by Theo in another post re Hohner Students...they get corrosion near the base of the reed, esp on the inside and on the base reeds. I have refurbed quite a few Trichords and they mostly have this issue, unless someone has already fettled it. If the bass tuning is all over the place it’s what I’d expect to see inside. A cursory glance can be misleading. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve looked at the reeds and thought...oh yes, they're not too bad, only to discover the opposite once I dig deeper. On the two v three voice. I don’t think people necessarily have a preference. If they want a Trichord and can get a good one, they are more bothered about what kind of bass layout it has than the number of voices.

Geoff

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:20:31 AM »

Many thanks for your advice.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:39:17 AM »

I think I figured out why they have rust (if the valves are plastic) and what a little blog about it.
http://www.smythesaccordioncenter.com/the-accordion-blog/a-little-bit-of-rust
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:20:22 AM »

Thanks for that, very informative!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal