Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meinel and Herold 3 row 3 voice  (Read 979 times)

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
Meinel and Herold 3 row 3 voice
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »

OK it is big, red, shiny and it was cheap.
I tried it out and the inner row was huffing and puffing so badly that I thought it might not have some of the reeds inside - but the outer two rows played, so I brought it home and opened it up - it has screws not bellows pins a la Hohner.

The huffing and puffing is due to the wood of a reed block splitting, so it looks like an easy enough fix, to glue and clamp should restore it.

With a bit of preening to the valves, ensuring an airtight fit on the reed blocks it should be playable. Then I can find out the keys.
The brand is not one I have heard of - it is German and I believe that it produced a range of instruments, or perhaps marketed them under its name.
I will take photos once I get down to work on the beast.

Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
Re: Meinel and Herold 3 row 3 voice
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:13:26 PM »

The maker was a big producer of boxes some are very good. would say its almost certain to be in GCF or poss flat and could be either flat or sharp of Pitch.I have a couple of two rows.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 06:21:38 PM »

Ah - thank you for the info - I am still like  :o at having worked out how to get the end off and finding nine rows of reeds. Oooooh.
Barcarole D/G

Peadar

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 06:33:59 PM »

I sense someone else developing the complication of MAD that delights in old boxes not from the big H.  >:E

Do we get to see photo's of it's innards???? (please).

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 01:50:57 AM »

Barcarole D/G

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 02:05:06 AM »

I managed to take a few quick photos of the box opened up,  and then worked out how to put them into a post. 

The damage is to the uppermost row of reeds as photographed, which I hope to rectify quite soon, and then I can look at the valves and the clamping of the blocks to see if they require renewal of the seal beneath or just holding in place properly.

The leatherwork is lined with velvet material.

As you can see there are 16 bass buttons, and they are offset, but I have not investigated what lies beneath.

There are two holes for the air, and they are opened by a long bar which moves sideways, which is very convenient for anyone with small hands. 
Barcarole D/G

Peadar

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 10:20:55 PM »

Thanks Ann. Ooooooh indeed (:). I can imagine you will open up the bass end with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:34:28 PM »

Well - the repair seems to have been far too easy - I began by checking that the surfaces would align correctly, removed a small amount of debris - probably wax,  gave the white wood glue a shake and found myself with the block glued and clamping it between a piece of wood and a strip of aluminium using a couple of rubber bands.
Soon I was reassembling the box and checking that all is going well, and I find myself playing a 3 voice, MMM - I think, and it is indeed a GCF.
After a few trials - and reporting to Gena on the progress, I tried out the bases and was soon singing along to 'All around my hat' using the F row and bases at the lower end of the rows.
He's a big fellow - 34 buttons on the treble side, 16 bass buttons and I will have to map out the notes, but my tuner decided to separate into its component parts during  my first investigations so I will have to find an alternative device.
The buttons are not aligned, the treble rows are on diagonals, the bass buttons are offset so I am not entirely sure where to find them at the moment - and there is further work required to remedy some clumsy taping on the bellows, but all in all am feeling distinctly pleased with yet another variation on the theme of melodeon. One of these days I am going to buy a truly duff one, but so far I am more than happy with my ever expanding collection. 
Barcarole D/G

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 05:21:48 PM »

For those taking notes, through a complicated series of transactions, I was safely albeit briefly exposed to this instrument yesterday.

It would appear to be a 4th button start GCF, with the outside most row being a 3rd start. I didn't check the low note configuration. The button stride is strange but not that strange.

The basses seem configured just like you'd expect with a GCF, with an extra set on top taking it up to 16, configured as though for a D row, though with the B major and E minor reversed (kinda like the 12 bass GC box I have collecting some dust at the moment)

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 06:41:45 AM »

Gena had it sussed -
The push notes on the outer row are  B D G 
On the middle Fsharp E G C
and the innermost Dsharp A C F

The button rows do a little sidestep which can surprise the fingers - actually my brain refuses to believe that there is more than one row of basses, at least so far.   
Barcarole D/G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal