Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Daughter's Favourite  (Read 918 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
My Daughter's Favourite
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »

I recently discovered a newspaper article about a Penny Reading at Reeth in Swaledale in 1867 at which the local quadrille band played four tunes. It is rare for newspaper reports to name the tunes played, but in this case they did: the Downfall of Paris, a waltz called Happy Dreams, the Cuckoo Solo and a schottische called My Daughter's Favourite. I have located the music for the first three, but have drawn a blank with My Daughter's Favourite. It could be a composition by one of the band that didn't survive, but it might be a more widely known tune. Has anybody come across it?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Matthew B

Re: My Daughter's Favourite
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 03:57:26 PM »

Well the title's not an exact match, but it's close, and the time period seems to be about right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPAVZ7-dk84
It seems the composer was pretty active at around the time your source indicates:
http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n82208093/
So that's a firm "maybe . . . "?
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »

When asked to name the tune the fiddler replied "Ah! that's my daughters favourite................"

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, Rob, but this name appeared in the printed programme for a Penny Reading, so I think it was the tune's official title. That is not to say that one of the musicians in the band didn't compose it and dedicate it to his daughter. However, having listened to the piece and knowing that there was a brass band in Reeth at that time as well as the quadrille band, I am inclined to think that Matthew is most likely to be correct and that the tune was My Daughter's Schottische, composed by William Henry Montgomery. It sounds the sort of tune that would have fitted in well alongside the other tunes and songs on the programme that night. Thank you, Matthew, for drawing it to my attention.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Matthew B

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »

Happy to help -- it's a nice tune!
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal