Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon storage dilemma  (Read 2981 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Melodeon storage dilemma
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 02:16:50 PM »

It's more difficult to pull than to push.

I'd say that's a strong indicator the the bellows is still stiff. It's like a spring that's always trying to contract.

Simple test: hold instrument up by the bass strap with treble end pointing down and push the air button. If the bellows expansion slows to  a halt long before reaching fully open bellows, the bellows still has that stiffness.

My Oakwood was like that for months when new.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 06:48:05 PM »

I live in an instrument storage facility...

Hmm    . . I can see,      You must buy a Swedish  "nyckelharpa"

I've also instruments coming out of my ears  :|bl  Always wanted a nyckelharpa, but last year finally got into playing (Nor) hardingfele/hardanger fiddle...on which the Swedish tunes also sound good.  It definitely assuages my penchant for Scand music.

Ya storage has always been a problem.  In the last four years I've pared down from 75+ instruments to about 50.  I got rid of my drums, upright bass, synths, electric guitars and amps, hurdy gurdy...and started buying more squeezy things..  I bought another one yesterday (Delicia piano acc).  My only solution is to live with them like they are furniture.

*Oh, one other strategy in assimilating them is to distribute them among friends, or other sites.  I keep a few guitars, fiddle, congas at a homeless shelter where I visit/teach weekly (pre covid).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:53:13 PM by catty »

Peadar

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »

Living, as we do, in a teeny Victorian cottage it can be hard to find enough places for 'stuff'.  I mentioned to my partner this morning that we really should put a couple of shelves up to store melodeons on.

His response was that perhaps I could instead put away a couple that I rarely play.

Point taken. I've put his Bouebe in its case under our bed.

How long until he asks where it is?  >:E
Has he not made enquiries yet???
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 08:29:44 AM »

Living, as we do, in a teeny Victorian cottage it can be hard to find enough places for 'stuff'.  I mentioned to my partner this morning that we really should put a couple of shelves up to store melodeons on.

His response was that perhaps I could instead put away a couple that I rarely play.

Point taken. I've put his Bouebe in its case under our bed.

How long until he asks where it is?  >:E
Has he not made enquiries yet???

I told him in the end, actually I told the sword team on our Zoom call. He hadn't noticed, and there's the thing.  He's got my Pastourelle at the moment, who needs a Bouebe?  :|||: :|glug
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal