Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horizonto D# and layout and stuff  (Read 1002 times)

Elliot Warburton

Horizonto D# and layout and stuff
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:55:55 PM »

So, I've been learning Horizonto, fun tune, and I've noticed that the change (chord, jazz lingo) at the part where it goes goes to the D# (in Em), is chord V (in this case B). The recording I'm learning from, which is by far my favourite, possibly ever, is the one up on youtube called Horizonto (jig), played by Andy Cutting for what certainly sounds like a Circassian circle. Now, my question is this: it sounds for all the world to my ear like Mr Cutting there plays a D# against that B, I THINK... But according to his layout as described on this forum, he doesn't have a push D# or a pull B. So, my question is really twofold; one- what should I play there if I currently have a pull D# only (I can think of a few things but I'm just interested in other people's suggestions really) and two- what does he play there???? and is his layout as described here incorrect if he does play what I think he might be? so confusing, isn't it.
https://youtu.be/MMezePBE2EA
^the aforementioned video

Thanks ^_^

P.S. Not sure whether this post should have gone in tunes or here, but it's here now :p

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: Horizonto D# and layout and stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »

Are you referring to this layout?

http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/DG21plus5cutting.gif

I believe it's been noted that it is wrong in some way or another, I think regarding the major/minor ness of the E/A chord pair, but, there does appear to be a push Eb in the middle of the half row presented there.

That is a good recording. In terms of what you can do, I... honestly can't think of really anything good to play with it with it on the bass side, but both B and F# can be found on the draw on the melody side of the instrument, so maybe you can play a right hand side chord there? Alternatively, if you have a B major chord on the left side, see if you can reinforce that chord with notes on the right hand side, and try to allow the D# in the chord to carry you through.

edit - it's also possible that if this is his C/F box that he uses a different layout for that.

edit2 - the recording is in E minor, so, no worries on that front
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:47:37 PM by Gena Crisman »

Elliot Warburton

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:49:25 PM »

I think that recording is in Em, and yeah I just realised I read that table wrong and the D# is on the push- so that's my fault for misreading on that front. That also explains the harmony there.
I have always wondered about that D#/Eb there, being on the pull on my box at any rate and I believe on some others- would it be worth flipping the plate?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:42:07 PM »

I think that recording is in Em, and yeah I just realised I read that table wrong and the D# is on the push- so that's my fault for misreading on that front. That also explains the harmony there.
I have always wondered about that D#/Eb there, being on the pull on my box at any rate and I believe on some others- would it be worth flipping the plate?
Having the D#(Eb) on the push is, for me at any rate, far more useful than on the pull. When playing in E minor, the tunes will often modulate into B major at some point and that's where the push D# comes in.  My Castagnari boxes have D# push as a factory standard.

I think having the F natural on the push is a Hohner factory thing. Personally, I've never needed it on the push, so all my Hohners have the reed plates flipped to give me D#/Fnat. (or the equivalent C#/Eb on a CF box)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Elliot Warburton

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 12:16:50 AM »

Yeah, been thinking about flipping those notes since I started playing and realised that they didn't really match up with the harmony/left hand side of things. I'll be doing that tomorrow I think, but I'll certainly be leaving the outer row acc plate as it is.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 02:45:57 AM »

I flipped all my plates. Push Bb over thirdless G chord, pull G# over thirdless E chord.

There are certainly disadvantages, though, it took me a while to decide if I should do both, but once I had a thirds stop I decided it was the better option for me.

Schnorbitz

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 07:11:56 AM »

I’ve not looked at Andy’s layout in this respect, but the note is definitely an Eb (D#) and I’ve always heard the chord as the B. It does sound like a case of the layout not matching what his box actually has. Superb tune though  (:)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »

It does sound like a case of the layout not matching what his box actually has.

Quite possibly. The published G-scale layout with my name on it is no longer correct in the accidentals either, as I flipped the D#/F reeds round in my Oakwood and both accidentals in the Dino.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »

I’ve worked on Andy’s DG box and I can confirm he has D# on push on the half row.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »

So to be clear, does Andy’s D/G layout differ from the one published here? I ask because my Mory has been reconfigured using this layout.
Castagnari Mory D/G.  Saltarelle Bouebe D/G. Hohner Club 2 C/F. Bachenbulach Bb/Eb. Matzini C/F. Some of them even work.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,17648.msg297903.html#msg297903

That, I think, represents the error that I could recall. I think this was talked about more recently somewhere, perhaps?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal