Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: McNeela melodeons?  (Read 1925 times)

Chris Taylor

• Cairdin D/G, Junior Martin Cajun C Hohner 4 stop D
McNeela melodeons?
« on: May 28, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »

does anyone have experience of the McNeela 1 row box? They are advertising a 4 stop 'D' for , I think £625 , that would seem to be amazing value if its a decent instrument and not a pile of ****** like most of the Far Eastern boxes. Given their prominence online [I can't log in without one of their ads popping up] I've still not come across anyone who's had dealings with them.   

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: McNeela melodeons?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »

From a short look, they seem like your run-of-the-mill branded Chinese accordions.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

mory

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:37:11 AM »

They look a cut above the Scarlatti type sold in so many guises for so long. It appears to be the same as the Sherwood in C on hobgoblin @£650 and the Lisheen in D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmPFPMCCQlM not sure what Martin Quinn is asking.

Chris Taylor

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »

thanks Mory, I followed up the Martin Quinn link and he's asking e650 [why no euro sign on my laptop?} so beats the McNeela by £75 or so - I shall need to think seriously about this.

mselic

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 08:03:16 PM »

Do not assume that these are all the same accordion; the casework is shared by many different brands but do not necessarily have the same reeds, etc. Sean Garvey from All About Accordions in Ireland, for example, has them marketed as Garvey melodeons but they feature TAM reeds and upgraded bellows:

https://youtu.be/L7KHSs_zuws

Regarding Lisheen, you’re best to ask Martin Quinn about the model he’s selling.

The Hohner Cajun IV model (not actually made by Hohner) shared the same casework and was a pretty lousy box, in my opinion. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the McNeela, Lisheen and Garvey boxes would be the same.

C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »

...why no euro sign on my laptop?...

€ Try ctrl alt 4
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:32:19 AM »

...why no euro sign on my laptop?...
€ Try ctrl alt 4
Alt-erntatively, Alt+0128 (type digits on the numeric keypad)

Chris Taylor

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 06:31:02 AM »

thanks guys, ok found the euro sign it was actually hiding in plain sight! My next question is, anyone out there have any experience of the Lisheen 1 row? It sounds ok on Martin Quinn's youtube vid............

mselic

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

thanks guys, ok found the euro sign it was actually hiding in plain sight! My next question is, anyone out there have any experience of the Lisheen 1 row? It sounds ok on Martin Quinn's youtube vid............

It is worth noting that, while the Hohner HA114 was still available as a new model, it was Martin’s preferred choice as a beginner’s instrument. My experience with the “Hohner” version of the Lisheen model (see my last post above) is that the HA114 was a much better instrument. Martin is also easy to communicate with and will always offer an honest opinion about an instrument, so it may worth asking his input on how it compares with similar models.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Ryan Schell

• New Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 03:20:04 AM »

Chris, did you ever try the Lisheen? I've been considering getting one shipped to the US and reached out to Martin about it. He said that it compared favorably to the Hohner HA-114, especially considering that you're almost always buying them used now so condition will vary.

Chris Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:53:58 AM »

Ryan, i never did try the Lisheen - I finally took the cheapest option and asked a local repairer to fix up my old Hohner 4 stop so that its at least playable. In the current climate of no gigs and precious few sessions I couldn't really justify a bigger spend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal