Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for June 2020: The Guinness Waltz  (Read 5497 times)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the Month for June 2020: The Guinness Waltz
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 12:12:01 AM »

Superb work Gena!  :|||:
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 09:53:56 PM »

I envy you for your courage to go down this route. I've tried it once or twice but most of the times my brain comes to a grinding halt whenever I try to play melody, right hand chords and left hand bass/chords at the same time.

Hey, you've taken this tune and made it your own. That's a great accomplishment, if you ask me! To be fair, it doesn't really sound like a waltz anymore. Reminds me more of a laid back country tune - which is by far not the worst direction this could have taken. I applaud your efforts, this is great.

Well, 'it's something to do', heh - all driven by trying to be interesting at folk clubs, I imagine. I'm still pretty clumsy sometimes, but I'm just as clumsy playing the melody on it's own with a single button and no basses, so, I figure I might as well be doing this.

It's taken a while but it feels strangely natural now to be smashing a bunch of buttons and knowing which chords they're all a part of and why I'm doing what I'm doing. There really are so many other skills to cultivate as well though - for example, having some more aptitude in my choices for left hand accompaniment, or adding tasteful ornaments to tunes - both of which are skills you demonstrate proficiency for on a regular basis and frankly often elude me.

In any case, thank you for your words. Also: thank you too, Eshed.

I should try it on a G/C...

I believe I would like to hear that.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »

That's pretty great Gena :-)

Anyway, onto the next tune folks - as ever please feel free to stick any late contribs on the end of the thread...

Anne Dicks

• New Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 02:33:01 PM »

I am really enjoying this tune!  As a complete beginner who didn't know what a melodeon was a couple of weeks ago, and whose new melodeon was faulty and had to be sent back so I continued using one lent by a friend until yesterday, please don't expect a recording of my efforts!  (but I have posted to a restricted audience on Facebook!)
I am learning to play with the help of a friend, who has decided that rather than going through any basics at all, we should jump straight into Tune of the Month.  H'mmm.  In G on a D/G instrument.   
So far I am fairly happy with playing right and left hands separately, and with my colour-coded music showing if I need to be on the G row or D row I can get most bars (except the ones with CDE in sequence) into either pull or push so that the chords will work.  This instrument is unlike anything I have ever tried before and I find it wonderfully brain-addlingly addictive, but I feel very sorry for my husband and neighbours....

Emre Enercan

• You can never practice too much!
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 11:24:17 AM »

I am really enjoying this tune!  As a complete beginner who didn't know what a melodeon was a couple of weeks ago, and whose new melodeon was faulty and had to be sent back so I continued using one lent by a friend until yesterday, please don't expect a recording of my efforts!  (but I have posted to a restricted audience on Facebook!)
I am learning to play with the help of a friend, who has decided that rather than going through any basics at all, we should jump straight into Tune of the Month.  H'mmm.  In G on a D/G instrument.   
So far I am fairly happy with playing right and left hands separately, and with my colour-coded music showing if I need to be on the G row or D row I can get most bars (except the ones with CDE in sequence) into either pull or push so that the chords will work.  This instrument is unlike anything I have ever tried before and I find it wonderfully brain-addlingly addictive, but I feel very sorry for my husband and neighbours....

I hear that!   :D
Hohner Club II C/F

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 06:52:38 PM »

Salutations from Pennsylvania US.

It takes me longer than a month to learn a tune, so I've been hesitant to participate in the TOM, but I love the idea and I'm ready... I think. Here's my go at the lovely Guinness Waltz, only 3+ weeks late. https://youtu.be/nHkc1mU6tOg
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:21:07 PM by Blake »
Castagnari Benny GC#, Mory DG#, Geordy GC, Mignon C
Cajun Custom in C by L'Anse Grise
Hohner Pokerwork GC and DG
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 07:15:28 PM »

Great effort, Blake. Very enjoyable.
May I suggest that you play with tighter bellows and that will give your better control. Although you have them open
wide, I noticed they only moved approx. 12cms. in either direction whilst playing the tune.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 07:19:48 PM »

Great effort, Blake. Very enjoyable.
May I suggest that you play with tighter bellows and that will give your better control.

Oh, very interesting observation and suggestion! I will try this. Thank you!
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 07:56:29 PM »

Glad to see you've posted a tune, and please continue to do so, even if it does take a month to learn and you post later (The Guinness Waltz seems  to be particularly popular for late entries!)

MikeK has a point, but I have an even simpler suggestion: you could play the tune slower, and I think you'd find it easy to get the timing more even. And imagine someone is dancing round the room, and you're playing for them!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 08:12:41 PM »

There's very little I'd criticise, but Anahata has put his finger on it.
You've got all the notes and the little accents and grace notes, but you sound like you're playing it a fraction faster than you're happy with.
A tad slower and relax into it and it'd be a treat to listen to..
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2020, 08:13:33 PM »

Glad to see you've posted a tune, and please continue to do so, even if it does take a month to learn and you post later (The Guinness Waltz seems  to be particularly popular for late entries!)
You could play the tune slower, and I think you'd find it easy to get the timing more even. And imagine someone is dancing round the room, and you're playing for them!

Thanks, Anahata (And I see Squeaky Pete). Yes, you're right to go slower... tunes tend to get away from me. I am working with a metronome more and more, about 10 minutes a day, but I seem to always play while running downhill! Same on my English concertina. I also found some apps that have visual metronomes, so I can record with a metronome without the tock tock tock in the background.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2020, 08:28:02 PM »

I seem to always play while running downhill! Same on my English concertina.

I have the same issue. It's very common.
The best thing I've found for coping is recording myself playing. It makes you far more aware of what you're doing. Listening to the noise you're actually making, rather than the one you think your making helps a lot.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2020, 08:33:18 PM »

Listening to the noise you're actually making, rather than the one you think your making helps a lot.
This, I think is nice advice for all forms of communication musical and otherwise.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal