Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for June 2020: The Guinness Waltz  (Read 1381 times)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the Month for June 2020: The Guinness Waltz
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 12:12:01 AM »

Superb work Gena!  :|||:
I'm playing all the wrong notes but not necessarily in the wrong order.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 09:53:56 PM »

I envy you for your courage to go down this route. I've tried it once or twice but most of the times my brain comes to a grinding halt whenever I try to play melody, right hand chords and left hand bass/chords at the same time.

Hey, you've taken this tune and made it your own. That's a great accomplishment, if you ask me! To be fair, it doesn't really sound like a waltz anymore. Reminds me more of a laid back country tune - which is by far not the worst direction this could have taken. I applaud your efforts, this is great.

Well, 'it's something to do', heh - all driven by trying to be interesting at folk clubs, I imagine. I'm still pretty clumsy sometimes, but I'm just as clumsy playing the melody on it's own with a single button and no basses, so, I figure I might as well be doing this.

It's taken a while but it feels strangely natural now to be smashing a bunch of buttons and knowing which chords they're all a part of and why I'm doing what I'm doing. There really are so many other skills to cultivate as well though - for example, having some more aptitude in my choices for left hand accompaniment, or adding tasteful ornaments to tunes - both of which are skills you demonstrate proficiency for on a regular basis and frankly often elude me.

In any case, thank you for your words. Also: thank you too, Eshed.

I should try it on a G/C...

I believe I would like to hear that.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »

That's pretty great Gena :-)

Anyway, onto the next tune folks - as ever please feel free to stick any late contribs on the end of the thread...

Anne Dicks

• New Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 02:33:01 PM »

I am really enjoying this tune!  As a complete beginner who didn't know what a melodeon was a couple of weeks ago, and whose new melodeon was faulty and had to be sent back so I continued using one lent by a friend until yesterday, please don't expect a recording of my efforts!  (but I have posted to a restricted audience on Facebook!)
I am learning to play with the help of a friend, who has decided that rather than going through any basics at all, we should jump straight into Tune of the Month.  H'mmm.  In G on a D/G instrument.   
So far I am fairly happy with playing right and left hands separately, and with my colour-coded music showing if I need to be on the G row or D row I can get most bars (except the ones with CDE in sequence) into either pull or push so that the chords will work.  This instrument is unlike anything I have ever tried before and I find it wonderfully brain-addlingly addictive, but I feel very sorry for my husband and neighbours....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal