Discussions > Instrument Design, Construction and Repair

A question for the pro fettlers

(1/2) > >>

mselic:
I may have asked a similar question recently but I don't recall getting a clear answer.

As someone who offers tuning/repair work on accordions, I get a lot of PAs come my way.  If someone comes to me looking to get their accordion tuned and  the wax and valves are old I usually recommend that it all get replaced before tuning.  The thing is, with PAs you often end up with 200-400+ reeds in an instrument, and that ends up translating into a lot of time and therefore money for the client, and often it falls outside of what they're willing to spend.  Sometimes it's just not worth the money, and I'll be honest in communicating that to them, and sometimes it may be worth it but not worth it for me unless I charge properly for my hours.  Sometimes, though, I'll have someone give me a lovely old accordion that is certainly worth the effort, however they'll admit that they aren't willing to sink a fortune into it.  They'll ask for a tuning.  I'll look at the accordion, which may already play quite well as is, but discover that the wax is old and some of the valves are beginning to curl.  I hesitate to offer tuning in these cases with old wax and valves (although with the reed pins it does appear that the wax is doing it's job - for now).  I discover that I have a genuine desire to fix up this old accordion for this person, however I'm uncertain how to proceed.  Do I simply tell them that I would have to replace valves, wax and then tune (pricey for a PA), or do I offer to tune it as is with the understanding that more work may be needed sooner rather than later?  Whilst the latter approach leaves me uncomfortable as it feels like a proper job was not done, I also feel hesitant about offering it as the only option and quite potentially letting an otherwise good instrument fall into disuse and obscurity. 

Do any of you ever offer tuning services on an accordion that has wax and valves that are getting by OK but could certainly use being replaced?  You might be opening a can of worms if you do, though, as sometimes I find that I have to start removing reedplates due to problems with a valve, and then having to flake away old wax and reinstall with new, which gets messy, etc.  I have a genuine desire to help folks with their instruments, but I have to be fair to everyone, including myself.  Advice sought!

boxcall:
This is similar to a client asking for a new skylight in a roof that is old and you’re suppose to fix the leaking skylight, with roof above and below it and do a good job with no leaks  ??? I was just going through this, I will do the work (if requested)with the understanding that it is not a guarantee. Do the job completely and it is a guarantee, and I sleep better  (:)
Not melodeon related but my two cents

Theo:
The same thing can apply to tuning where wax is maybe ok maybe not -  only the complete job comes with a guarantee.  Also decide for yourself if you take the job with your business hat on or with your conservators hat on.  And remember there are huge numbers of old piano accordions out there,  many of them originally of high quality.  Some just need to be allowed to slumber!

Another fun thing that happens sometimes with wax that looks ok.  You take one reed out to attend to a valve, and even after cutting the wax in each side as you lever the reed up you see a whole line of reeds lifting as one piece!   Arrrgh!

Gonk:
Preface: I'm a hobbyist, not a professional.  I share the (perhaps misguided) urge to "save them all."

It sounds as though you're communicating all you can, and your customers are able to make informed decisions.  I think that's great for building trust.  I had a favorite mechanic whom I trusted to offer "backyard" fixes, when the vehicle and/or my finances warranted it.  He was quite up front about the trade-offs of my options, so he got all my business.

I wonder if you also advise customers about what experience they could reasonably expect with a newer instrument in the same price range as the full restoration.  If I were bringing an old heirloom to a shop, I would like to be able to weigh that information alongside the emotional value of the instrument.

playandteach:
You go to the doctor. You tell them fairly honestly how much you exercise, drink and smoke. They tell you the bad news. Is it their fault? Not a bit. If someone says, I love my instrument please save it (along the lines of 'I love my 2 legged cat, please save it'). Then work your socks off to preserve Mrs McGonagain for eternity.
If they say, 'This is a nice instrument that I fancy sorting out a few things on' then that is the time for full disclosure.
I've been on both sides. Sort it out please, any cost. And make this lovely, cheap.
Is there really any 3rd way. I've even said in the past, I've tried to fix it and failed - what can you do.... which is a further can of worms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version