Discussions > Teaching and Learning

Tips on Developing Coordination

(1/16) > >>

Nic Pennsylvania:
Hi all,

I've been busy spending the last couple of weeks working with my A/D melodeon, and I'm comfortable with my scales and can play a few songs on a single-row. I'm working on getting the left hand into the game, and I've been using Roger Watson's book. Coordination with both hands has been the most challenging aspect so far. I know that, just continuing to do it will go a long way to developing said coordination, but could anyone recommend some exercises that I could work on that may help?

Dick Rees:

--- Quote from: Nic Pennsylvania on June 06, 2020, 03:01:38 PM ---Hi all,

I've been busy spending the last couple of weeks working with my A/D melodeon, and I'm comfortable with my scales and can play a few songs on a single-row. I'm working on getting the left hand into the game, and I've been using Roger Watson's book. Coordination with both hands has been the most challenging aspect so far. I know that, just continuing to do it will go a long way to developing said coordination, but could anyone recommend some exercises that I could work on that may help?

--- End quote ---

Lay the RH over the LH rather than adding the bass/chord.  Practice the LH alone and sing or hum the melody.

I believe in building the house on the foundation rather than adding the foundation later.

Thrupenny Bit:
Nic, it's one of those things that we've all been through.
Co-ordinating both hands is a nightmare at first but with steady application one day it works!
It really is a headbanger but you'll find practice is the key. Follow your chosen book and it sounds like you have examples to steer you through this early learning stage. Once you've built the link between both hands you will have made a fundamental step towards playing.
It is the best bit of advice my friend said to me when I started 'get both hands going right from the start'.
good luck
Q

tirpous:

--- Quote ---Lay the RH over the LH rather than adding the bass/chord.  Practice the LH alone and sing or hum the melody.

--- End quote ---

Along the same lines, I like to oom-pah a simple bass/chord pattern and noodle a melody at the same time.  I focus on the pattern and keeping the rythm steady, and the melody is really just hitting buttons (more or less at random) in sync with the accompaniment.  Waltz time is good for that.           

Little Eggy:
Many wise words here.  Looking at my own learning, and remembering my own learning of music at school and my daughters' learning, I'd just add that 'exercises' - IMHO - are nowhere near as motivating as playing tunes right from the start.

I've been playing melodeon for about 4 years and have never done any exercises.  I started with Mally's brilliant book + his two volumes of Morris tunes. Fantastic. Speed the Plough is a great tune - I still like it - and you can play it with basses and chords quite quickly.  I have about 130 tunes now and I could probably perform 30 or 40 'cold' without any music in front of me.

Learning is such a personal thing.  If you love the tunes then it will come, and it gets easier......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version