Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone migrated from D/G to B/C/C#, any comments welcome?  (Read 8150 times)

Gandy

• Respected Sage
Anyone migrated from D/G to B/C/C#, any comments welcome?
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:35:13 AM »

Hi,

I would be interested in comments from anyone who's moved from D/G as main or only instrument, onto B/C/C#.   What's easy, what's difficult?   I worry that the B/C/C# is so different that the push/pull habits from the D/G will be more of a help than a hinderance.   

Anyone tried the change and found it didn't work out for them?

Thanks,
Tony S

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
Re: Anyone migrated from D/G to B/C/C#, any comments welcome?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »

I got a BC in the hope of learning some tunes by ear but I played up and down the two rows as I understand DG boxes are mostly played. I'd never heard of keys and was totally ignorant about music other than being able to enjoy a tune. I am now learning to play across the rows and found it a little sticky to start with but am making progress. Hope this helps.

Graeme

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:08:24 AM »

having learned to play in G on a B/C box there was some joy in using the same fingering and getting the same tune in A on the D row of me D/G!
(no F# in those tunes... don't know how I'd have managed if there had have been ::))

I doubt that the B/C will ever become my main box but there are some luvly 'just for me' sounds that I like...
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:13:04 AM »

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

b/c/c# is basically the same push/pulls as d/g.  apart from the fact that with the rows only being a semitone apart gives you a big advantage to start crossing the rows and playing in various keys.

Always using the C row as your main row, its a good starting point.  ie find your D (pull of C) then head up the middle row til you get to F#, then you can find it on the inside & outside row, then back to the middle row til you get to the C# (again both inside & outside rows) then back to the middle row to get your D.

8)
Black Shand Morino

waldoB

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »

I played D/G for 10 years before starting the BCA, no problems at all to swop between the two. I always did play across the rows ( thanks Mally ) the different systems compliment each other, depending on what it is you are playing, and the situation. I haven't heard a BCA'er wanting more buttons, some extra fingers would be good though.... DB

george garside

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:36 AM »

as one who plays both DG & BCC# regularly I feel reasonably qualified to comment.  As Graeme has indicated the push pull bit is the important thing to grasp & once this is done the differences are a lot less!  The BC or BCC# is much more logical to play in a veriety of keys than is a DG (even with lots of accidentals) as quite simply the C row is the main road for most keys with 1, 2,3 etc diversions onto the B row according to the key.  Effectively therefore its a question of starting at a different point in the C scale & poking the accidentals where they are always in the right place on the B row.

This can be tried on a DG by playing in A on the D row ( choosing tunes without a G#) - this is the same fignering as G on a BC.  Similarly D can be played on the G row of a DG using same fingering.

The extra row on a bcc# makes life easier not more difficult as it can be used in  veriety of was after one has learned the basics. It can be used to ease tricky bits of fingering & to maintain good bellows control. Also if you have learned originally on the BC rows you can move over to the cc# rows & do just the same out it pops in the flat keys.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Keithypete.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »

I played D/G for a number of years before swapping to B/C, via a quick look at continental chromatic 5 row. B/C is great but I haven't completely cracked it yet. G was OK. D is proving a bit more tricky mainly because D is on the pull and after years of it being on the push it is taking a bit of getting used to. I'm glad I changed over as more tunes are within reach having all the notes you need. I practice everyday and am improving all the time, but it is challenging. I will probably get another D/G for Morris when I am more confident on the B/C so as not to confuse myself. My advice is to play one or the other AT FIRST. No doubt someone will say it's fine to play both and it probably is, but I shall stick to the B/C till I've got properly on top of it. If you go B/C/C# you will have all those bass buttons to contend with, but there are plenty of people here to help you with that. Good luck.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »

I've fairly recently moved over to BCC# from D/G ( although frankly I still play both and it's really not a problem switching). I wish that I'd started on B/C now as the semitone system just gives you so much more. The problem with D/G (or any quint system really) is it's apparent simplicity - very easy to get a fairly simple tune out of. The BCC# is just a little harder in the beginning - you soon get bored of playing in C up and down the middle row - so the need to cross row when playing in any other key is there from the beginning. But once you've 'got it' the possibilities really open out. Making it in my opinion the best system, certainly for me and the type of music that I want to play - which is music with a fair amount of accidentals (not just standard 'tunes'), as well as hymn tunes etc. I find it useful to think of the middle row as the white notes on the piano keyboard and the rows either side as the black notes (sharps & flats). Fingering is in my opion easier on the BCC# than on D/G when it comes to playing accidentals as I don't have to leap back to the notes under my chin to play them (if they're there that is) on the D/G. On the BCC# accidentals are all in-line and under the fingers already so to speak. I'm still very much the beginnier - but getting a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction. It's now my box of choice - spent half and hour this morning playing along with my daughter who was practising her grade two violin pieces and that was the box I went to immediately, whereas before I'd probably have gone for my PA - or played along on the piano.
AL

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »

I am in the process of migrating as we speak, although I will always play a D/G box. It's not proving as difficult as I feared, the big problem for me is getting to grips with the C row, my ear can overrule my brain and tells my fingers that it's a G row... this is changing though, as long as I keep telling myself that it's in C.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

xgx

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »

.... tells my fingers that it's a G row...

great when you see a B on the dots.... remembering to pull, not push,  is still a bit of a struggle
(no problems for the earholers though ;D ;D :P)
Graham

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »

.... tells my fingers that it's a G row...

great when you see a B on the dots.... remembering to pull, not push,  is still a bit of a struggle

It's the D that is the REALLY difficult one, as that is nearly always push on my D/G :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

george garside

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »

just practice scales -  they programme the brain

george

george garside

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »

if you have a really strong urge to push use the B on the outside row!
george ;D

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »

Not quite but the Oakwood has C#/D and D/G combined. As a D/G trainee I mostly use the C# row as accidentals. Ive also changed a couple of duplicated. However  find blues scales (particularly Bb, Eb, F ) just roll along the C#D pair - mostly on the pull
  _       _    _      _ 

xgx

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »

...if you have a really strong urge to push use the B on the outside row!
george ;D

I really must get the keyboard diagram out again :|bl ::)

Thanks George
Graham

stevejay

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »

Sometimes I do wish I just started on  b/c or b/c/c# but I feel committed to the "quint" system now. Time and money are the main factors. Nice basses though on a d/g but wanting one chord -- Am. Just one extra button lol. Well I could want more chords, but Am pops up a lot.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:05:47 PM by stevejay »

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »

Thanks for the comments.  I'm getting quite keen on the idea now.
Tony S

waldoB

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 03:26:05 PM »

Squeezy's CD shows you the fudges for Am and Bm on a D/G bass, but once you've tried the brilliance of bisonoric treble with mono bass .....

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

As a follow on thought ... are there any recommended tutor books for B/C/C#?   Or maybe for B/C since that would take me halfway there?    Thanks.
Tony S

HallelujahAl

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »

Don't think there's anything for BCC#. However plenty of Irish Button Accordion tutor books out there in eBayland which would as you say get you going in the right direction. George Garside of this Parish is working on a book to plug this gap - but it's taking a while to come into fruition.

Meanwhile - only thing to do is get booked up for Graeme Mackay's Button Box Workshop in Aviemore next March. We had a great time last month at the inaugaral gathering and really looking forward to the next one.
AL
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal