Discussions > General Discussion

How to put sound and video together???

(1/1)

Peadar:
For this month's Theme of the month I would like to do the music with a related video. Shooting the video was the easy bit....
Any absolute beginners advice on how to put a (different) sound track to an AVI file?
Or is this going to be like the lost traveller asking for directions and being told "If I wanted to go there I wouldn't start from here"?

playandteach:
I'd use Olive. I've been using it (free software in a trial stage - and actually very stable and intuitive).
It is dead easy to import files of different types and overlay them. You can delete audio separately from video with one click.

Howard Jones:
You will need to sync your audio track with the video.  Before you start playing, clap your hands together loudly, in camera shot.  This will show up as a big spike on the audio track, which you can match to the action on the video, or to the equivalent spike on the video player's audio track (which you can then delete or mute).  This is why film and TV productions use a clapper board.

Winston Smith:
Being a technophobe, I just use my compact camera. I load it to the laptop and using VLC, crop the start and finish and then load it up to YouTube.

Peadar:

--- Quote from: playandteach on June 08, 2020, 12:21:32 AM ---I'd use Olive. I've been using it (free software in a trial stage - and actually very stable and intuitive).
It is dead easy to import files of different types and overlay them. You can delete audio separately from video with one click.

--- End quote ---
Thanks P&T - I used Olive for thís month's stab at ThOTM, as I wanted to try an action video. In recent months I have used a 15 year old digital camera to do videos- AVI files. The resolution is a bit lower than more modern cameras which helps keep the filesize down. I didn't want to use the video of me playing so the sound synchronisation wasn't critical. I took an MP3 audio file of the AVI off the music and pasted it in under the video seqence. Olive lets you import jpg's which have a nominal time display of 1  second...but you can stretch them which allowed me to extend the end of the visuals with a still of Deo.
This probably sounds banal to anyone who has ever edited video before but I hadn't and was happy with the result.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version