Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Morris!  (Read 43258 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Morris!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »

The side colours are pink, grey & black in any combination. Most people choose to wear largely pink though.

We need pictures!  ;D ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »

The side colours are pink, grey & black in any combination. Most people choose to wear largely pink though.

We need pictures!  ;D ;D

Moving pictures even

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4jCkkHCdzU&feature=PlayList&p=8716B3C0BF38F5FA&index=0

Keithypete.

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »

The rarely seen carrots appear in this clip too! :|glug :|glug :|glug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGq8vVY1cR0&feature=related
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »

Oh oh,somebody put red socks in the wash!

Chris

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »

Went to my first evening of Morris dancing last night. Playing though not dancing, yet. With Golden Star here in Norwich. Only one night but think I can safely say I hooked!

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »

With all these people just starting out with morris sides it looks as if, contrary to rumour, Morris dancing is definitely not dying!   ;D :||: :|||: :M :M :M :Ph :|glug :|glug

Lizwardo....if Lodestone won't have you, try Cat's Eye!
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Keithypete.

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 01:05:38 AM »

Just in case anyone was wondering, The Bunnies from Hell are not a 'Ring' side. We feast at Easter each year and have an annual practice wether we need it or not.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 05:41:57 AM »

Just in case anyone was wondering, The Bunnies from Hell are not a 'Ring' side.

Now does that suprise me?   >:(

LJC

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »

They have been rusticated!

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »

What is a 'ring' side in Morris? I hate to sound ignorant but before joining this forum I only really knew of Morris dancing through The Goodies and The Blackadder ;D
I don't get 'jigs'

HallelujahAl

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »

"The Morris Ring founded in 1934, is an association of over two hundred morris dance sides. Our mission is to encourage the performance of morris dancing, to maintain its traditions and to preserve its history..."

Not all Morris sides are 'in the ring' so to speak - various reasons apply about which others on this forum are more qualified to speak, and anyway I'm maintaining a diplomatic silence...which is very unusual for me  ;)
AL

Ga

• Good talker
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »

Oooh Juker!
That's probably the most dangerous question you'll ever ask!
I'll try to keep politics out of the answer.......

The "Ring" is "The Morris Ring", the original body which was first set itself up to "look after" the interests of the Morris movement way back when, as the Morris revival took a hold.  It is not dissimilar to "the Magic Circle" in the world of performing magic.   Dependant on your point of view, they are either upholders of the tradition, or self-important fuddie-duddies lost in the mists of time.   Take your pick.  They have done lots of excellent work in promoting and recording all things Morris, but they also alienate some people by some of their stances - For instance, the "Men only in a Morris side" rule.   This alienation of some, and attraction for others, is often the way of any "representative" organisation.   You have to make your own mind up how you feel about them.  Other Morris organisations are of course available, such as "the Morris Federation", "open Morris" etc.   Most sides "belong" to one or more movement or another, and choose between themselves which organisation will best fit their own aims, and so join that group.    A google on those organisations should give you good pointers into their aims.

The Morris Ring is parodied as the "Morris Circle" in the "Morris- A life with bells" film.

How was that for not taking sides?   I really am very open minded about all the groups incidentally, and fully repsect the aims of all of them, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

LJC

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »

I don't know about the Ring as we're not members (women in the side) but the Fed do other things such as have a quarterly newsletter, provide public liability insurance, sell bits of kit/bells etc. I imagine the Ring do something similar as well to help support its members.

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »

The three Morris organisations in the UK the Morris Ring, Morris Federation and Open Morris. The Ring are exclusively men's sides and many but not all member teams think that women cannot / should not dance Morris. The Morris Fderation was formed to provide a home for women's teams but fairly shortly accepted everyone.  I dont know much about Open Morris. Since all three of my teams are in the Federation I am possibly biased.
It was the Ring that came out with that tosh a few months ago about Morris being dead within 20 years. Possibly they are dying out because they have no-one to breed with due to having no female members.
Guy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »

What is a 'ring' side in Morris? I hate to sound ignorant but before joining this forum I only really knew of Morris dancing through The Goodies and The Blackadder ;D
Be careful asking this question. Cans of worms are lurking, waiting to be opened up.  :o

The Morris Ring is an organisation (but not the only one) for the promotion and association of morris dancing. Morris sides can apply to become members of the Morris Ring. On its website home page it states:
"The Morris Ring founded in 1934, is an association of over two hundred morris dance sides. Our mission is to encourage the performance of morris dancing, to maintain its traditions and to preserve its history."
http://www.themorrisring.org/

However, it has had a lot of bad press in the past particularly because of its attitude towards women, although I am assured by Lester (of this forum) and others that their behaviour is no longer sexist and antediluvian. Nevertheless, I think I am correct in stating that the Morris Ring still excludes womens' sides from membership.

There was a lively discussion about Morris Ring sides about a year ago on this thread:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,991.30.html
(you will need to scroll up and down a bit)

My own womens' side had a particularly nasty experience with the Morris Ring, which, although it was many years ago now, has left a deep impression on me and so you can't be too surprised if I have a less than favourable opinion about the organisation, but which may no longer be justified. Apologies if this is the case.  
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

HallelujahAl

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 10:02:19 AM »

It was the Ring that came out with that tosh a few months ago about Morris being dead within 20 years. Possibly they are dying out because they have no-one to breed with due to having no female members.

LOL!!

Ga

• Good talker
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 10:12:47 AM »

The Morris ring also excludes women musicians, even if the dancers are all male.

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »

Morris Ring (http://www.themorrisring.org/) the organisation of all male morris sides. They are, generally - -and I'm being generous here as some of them have been quite rude to our (female) squire on occasion - 'not keen' on women dancing morris. They are parodied (hilariously IMO) in the recent film 'Morris: A life with Bells on' as 'The Morris Circle'

We also have the Morris Federation (http://morrisfed.org.uk/mfblog/) which is a similar organisation of womens, mens, and mixed sides.

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »

is this the place to ask about anglican (largely) clergy neutering pagan traditions? :D

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 10:51:20 AM »

Open Morris was formed in about 1978, and for a while it was the only organisation for mixed morris sides. The Ring was all male, and the Federation was all female. Once the Federation opened its doors to all sides, regardless of gender, it took over from Open Morris as the main "alternative" to the Ring, and in fact I believe a number of all male sides left the Ring and joined the Fed, partly because they felt more comfortable with the ethos of the Fed (and partly,  I heard, because the insurance was cheaper!)

The Morris ring also excludes women musicians, even if the dancers are all male.

Women musicians are not allowed to go to Ring meetings, although I think that occasionally they turn up to play for the dancing during the day. There is no way they would be allowed to join the feast, or to share the accomodation, and the main reason for this is probably that it gives all the blokes a chance to have a weekend away with the lads, without having to even consider the question of their partners coming along too.
Otherwise, Ring sides are allowed to have female musicians, but not dancers. Some will dance with women as guests in the side on informal social occasions, but many will frown on this, and some sides don't even like to share a dance spot with other sides who are not all-male. 

is this the place to ask about anglican (largely) clergy neutering pagan traditions? :D

No, they didn't. Morris dancing used to be closely connected with the Church, and many old church records provide evidence for this. The idea of morris being a pagan tradition is a fairly recent invention.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal