Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dodgy single character ornamentation with multi-headed notes.  (Read 1446 times)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.

Sorry folks, I always seem to be asking questions about flaky ABC code. Here's another one.

I have an ABC file in which I have a multi-headed note preceded by a single character ornamentation: .[gc]

I think this is wrong - the ABC documentation clearly states that single character ornamentations (. ~ etc...)
should come immediately before the note concerned. Question: is .[gc] meant to represent [.gc] or [.g.c]
or is it 'undefined' - what did the original transcriber mean?

I think I'm canvassing 'opinion' here - I suspect it's a situation which is not 'defined' in the context of ABC.

I ask because .[gc] is playing havoc with one of my ABC-processing programs, but [.gc] is perfectly fine.
I can probably frig my program to detect this as an error, and exit gracefully, but I wondered if any of the
experts here had come across anything like this before...

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:15:09 PM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Dodgy single character ornamentation with multi-headed notes.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:45:06 PM »

The dot should apply to both notes in the chord. Isn't that how chords work? It works fine as .[gc] in my editor. Looks exactly as I would expect.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »

The dot should apply to both notes in the chord. Isn't that how chords work? It works fine as .[gc] in my editor.
Looks exactly as I would expect.
Yes, that's what I suspected. It looks OK in my editor too (EasyABC). I need to juggle my own program to take
this into account, (though it doesn't arise very often). Thank you.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 09:55:50 PM »

This is confirmed by  Guido Gonzato's guide, which states: "Chords behave as a single note when you have to add dots, slurs, etc. That is, it can be preceded by a dot for staccato, or by a symbol, and so on."
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:32:49 AM »

This is confirmed by  Guido Gonzato's guide, which states: "Chords behave as a single note when you have to add dots, slurs, etc. That is, it can be preceded by a dot for staccato, or by a symbol, and so on."
Ah! !hank you! I missed that - I had looked in the ABC standard and couldn't see anything
(though I probably missed it there too!). Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal