Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keyboard layout of Castagnari Lilly  (Read 1975 times)

Anne Dicks

• New Starter
keyboard layout of Castagnari Lilly
« on: June 24, 2020, 10:24:05 AM »

Can anyone point me to a keyboard layout for a Castagnari Lilly please?  It has a 4th button start and low notes on the left plus a couple of accidentals ...

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: keyboard layout of Castagnari Lilly
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »

There's a D/G 4th button start Lilly layout on the Acorn Instruments website here:
https://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/listing.cfm?inst=3

For convenience, I've attached the layout below.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Anne Dicks

• New Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »

Thank you!  That is great - my Lilly was delivered yesterday and it is beautiful.

Larry Powers

• Good talker
  • Bouchard 10+4 in D, Lilly D/C#
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »

To be honest there is not one layout for the Lilly.  It can be ordered in many key combinations and various bass configurations.  As an example here is the layout for my 4th button start d/c# lilly.  Yours should have come with a layout chart specific for your instrument.  If not I would go back to who ever you got it from and ask them for it. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:33:22 PM by Larry Powers »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 01:40:59 AM »

To be honest there is not one layout for the Lilly.  It can be ordered in many key combinations and various bass configurations.  As an example here is the layout for my 4th button start d/c# lilly.  Yours should have come with a layout chart specific for your instrument.  If not I would go back to who ever you got it from and ask them for it.

I think it is generally understood that instruments 'can be ordered in many key combinations and various bass configurations', and I would expect that the OP would have requested a D/G Lilly with 4th button start.

I've never known Castagnari instruments (or any other make for that matter) to arrive accompanied by a layout chart. However, there are generic layout charts on the Castagnari website and specific charts on the Acorn Instruments website which is where I directed the OP to, as it answered her question exactly. 

Looks like your layout chart had been prepared for you by The button Box as a one-off.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 09:06:24 AM »

here is the layout for my 4th button start d/c# lilly.

Apologies if this is off topic, but I have to ask...I don't think I have ever seen a chart like that. What do the numbers represent?  I'm sure the answer is obvious, but I'm not getting it.

[Edit: I can see that they ascend in sequence with a chromatic scale, but not why]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:10:52 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:23:35 AM »

Apologies if this is off topic, but I have to ask...I don't think I have ever seen a chart like that. What do the numbers represent?  I'm sure the answer is obvious, but I'm not getting it.
Just a method of identifying the reed without needing the note or the octave so what I would refer to as D4 is just 17

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 09:27:08 AM »

Just a method of identifying the reed without needing the note or the octave so what I would refer to as D4 is just 17

Thank you Lester. Is this Castagnari's standard designation, do you know? (I can't afford to look at posh box layouts  :D :D :D)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »

Thank you Lester. Is this Castagnari's standard designation, do you know? (I can't afford to look at posh box layouts  :D :D :D )
Think it's the reed manufacturer's nomenclature, first met it when speccing the reeds for my Pariselle's

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »

Thank you Lester. Is this Castagnari's standard designation, do you know? (I can't afford to look at posh box layouts  :D :D :D )
Think it's the reed manufacturer's nomenclature, first met it when speccing the reeds for my Pariselle's

Thanks
Greg Smith

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 10:57:46 AM »

Here's my Pariselle treble reed order for an example

Thanks

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »

Ah! Now I see the point.
Thanks again.
Greg Smith

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 11:15:43 AM »

My Argentinian Hering G/C had all the reeds numbered, it's the only time I've seen this.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »

It's pretty much a standard system in the Italian accordion industry of giving an unambiguous description of each pitch.  Harmonikas in Czech have a similar system but use different numbers so be careful!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 12:33:02 PM »

What happens if the pitch required drops below reed #1 (which I think is A#2 edited to correct typo). e.g., for a low octave G (which I would call G2) in an LMM system...or doesn't that happen?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:35:09 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »

A two octaves below middle C is 0, then you can either use negative numbers or prefix the previous octave with a zero eg:

A 00
Bb 01
B 02
C03
C# 04
D 05
etc

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »

Thank you Theo.
Greg Smith

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal