Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Pubs reopening 4th July  (Read 9087 times)

rileycat

• Respected Sage
Re: Pubs reopening 4th July
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 05:13:56 PM »

No exaggeration there, I live a short minute drive from Woolacombe and we've had fly campers and 2nd home owners in our village for weeks - mutter, mutter.  I believe we have 9 critical care beds at the local hospital (possibly a few extra have been set up recently), but an influx poses risks, nevertheless.  No room for sessions at our 2 local pub venues (they need the foodies and drinkers) and the nearest folk club has folded permanently so looking a bit barren round these here parts!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 05:32:51 PM »

As far as I am aware the rules against live music apply to pubs, theatres and similar venues and have probably been drawn up with formal performances in mind.  I don't know what the position is regarding informal and unorganised music-making in the open air. I know people who have been gathering in parks for socially-distanced sessions.

Four of us  had a very pleasing informal and socially distanced little session last Thursday, in a friends back garden the next door neighbour gave us some applause at one point. Otherwise, no one else seemed to notice.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 05:39:49 PM »

Ah rileycat, hadn't twigged you were up there, opposite ends of the county to me!
Yes I was thinking of your area when I was chuntering about visitors earlier.
Still, no point chuntering, I suppose we must gird our loins and brace ourselves.... or as a very sensible biologist said the other day ' it's best to lie low...'

I think Greg has the best idea, arrange to meet in a friend's garden and socially distance.
Trouble is 'twill be a bit yarkish come the winter!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Geoff P.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »

Most of the local pub sessions I have been to over the past few years would have been compliant with the covid-19 rules (post July 4th) in that :-
-they are normally on the pubs' quiet nights, where on average , people are not crowded together.
-sitting round in a group, the face-to-face distance is 2 metres or more.
-the side-to side distance is about 1 metre, for elbow room to play.
- there is no live audience, people not involved treat it as background music.
 I'm talking about tune sessions, I understand that singers spread aerosol droplets far and wide.
I would still be concerned about ventilation though, as most pubs are older buildings with low ceilinged rooms. Could be OK in summer with windows open perhaps.

That said, sessions associated with festivals can get much more crowded, and are in a different league.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 02:50:57 PM »

Most of the local pub sessions I have been to over the past few years would have been compliant with the covid-19 rules (post July 4th) in that :-
-they are normally on the pubs' quiet nights, where on average , people are not crowded together.
-sitting round in a group, the face-to-face distance is 2 metres or more.
-the side-to side distance is about 1 metre, for elbow room to play.
- there is no live audience, people not involved treat it as background music.
 I'm talking about tune sessions, I understand that singers spread aerosol droplets far and wide.
I would still be concerned about ventilation though, as most pubs are older buildings with low ceilinged rooms. Could be OK in summer with windows open perhaps.

That said, sessions associated with festivals can get much more crowded, and are in a different league.

The regulations prohibit loud music or live performances so it's hard to see how any sessions could be compliant.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Geoff P.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2020, 03:13:53 PM »

The music should be quiet enough so that other people do not have to shout to be heard. In my experience, it is more likely that other people talking means that you can't hear the music. My understanding is that the reference to live music in the regs (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/the-visitor-economy  section 2.2.2) refer specifically to theatres and concert halls, i.e. large events, and not pubs.

Of course, there may be other regs I am not aware of.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 03:26:58 PM »

Well.... in my area ( Devon ) the pubs are generally small and cosy. Great in winter with a roaring fire but sadly not at present.
Last night on regional BBC news the landlord of a local in Cornwall will not open. He is unable to socially distance in his pub and after canvassing his regulars is remaining shut.

In my local sessions I'm used to sitting side by side other musicians, sometimes comically ducking an enthusiastic fiddler when a bow comes my way. Our rural pubs are much smaller than the city pubs I've been to in other places.
Our session members are wondering how to cope in the winter months when outside is not an option and Zoom sessions very unsatisfying.
Mh friends, including our Morris side currently have no desire to go into a pub.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 04:26:49 PM »

Our session members are wondering how to cope in the winter months when outside is not an option and Zoom sessions very unsatisfying.
My friends, including our Morris side currently have no desire to go into a pub.
Q
One possible option which I'm considering is possibly hiring a village or church hall for a couple of hours, assuming you can find one which is willing to be hired out. If so, there ought to be a reasonable sized space for people to sit in a broad circle at least 2 m apart on individual chairs. Not benches or pews.

How does this sound for a plan:
1. Attendance by invitation only so you can control and restrict the number of people who come; say no more than 8 - 12 depending on the space.
2. Probably no singing!
3. No access to kitchens.
4. No food or drink except what you bring yourself with your own mugs/glasses, etc.
5. Toilets/cleaning? Could be problematical, unless someone in the group volunteers to thoroughly clean beforehand and at the end.
6. No hugging, kissing or cuddling  ::). ("unless conubially linked")
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 04:37:51 PM »

I share the concerns expressed and will not be heading for the pub on saturday (who's bright idea was it to open on a saturday?) On the other hand if we do nothing for months we will find there are no pubs to go back to, plenty were only just hanging on before covid! I would like to try outdoor, small sessions in beergardens and/or hired function rooms in pubs where there would be space and no audience ... but not quite yet!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »

Steve - thinking outside the box, outside of the pub in fact!
Good idea.
Possibly churches could be a possibility, might appreciate a donation on exit, and also provide great acoustics.

Tufty, you're right. There are two sides to this argument.
The hospitality industry, pubs and the whole tourist trade are absolutely fundamental down here, and are bricking it. I can understand why. It's just that all of a sudden economy seems to have replaced safety.
In my opinion.....
I suspect short term, beer gardens will be full of punters, and there's many a pub without one.
What a dilemma.
Thrupenny Bit

george garside

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 08:26:57 PM »

there are many little used bandstands in parks and other public  places that could easily accommodate  a  dozen or so  musicians.  A 'players only'   ''session' for a couple  of hours  could work well and be correctly distanced

with no beer for  2 hours lack of continence should  not be a problem and we would be  providing a public service by entertaining the public during lockdown...………………….provided we played ''jolly well  known ? sing along and or danceable to tunes  rather than some of the dirgy stuff that crops up in some sessions

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »

I would love to have a session on my front lawn.
I can accommodate 8 or 9 musicians fully distanced, and I'm sure the neighbours would love a change from my drunken squeezings.

Hmmm - OK in England but not in Wales! Twlldyn pob Sais!  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2020, 09:11:47 PM »

there are many little used bandstands in parks and other public  places that could easily accommodate  a  dozen or so  musicians.  A 'players only'   ''session' for a couple  of hours  could work well and be correctly distanced

with no beer for  2 hours lack of continence should  not be a problem and we would be  providing a public service by entertaining the public during lockdown...………………….provided we played ''jolly well  known ? sing along and or danceable to tunes  rather than some of the dirgy stuff that crops up in some sessions

george

If it's a public performance you're out of luck...if it counts as a public performance. The definitions are very vague.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »

Lovely idea to use a bandstand, when rules allow of course....
but I have no idea where there is one in my county!
Not a rural thing from my experience.
Maybe like Steve says, a hall or similar is worth a thought.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »

Yeah, current advice on the opening of pubs is no music or any live performance.  The thinking seems to be that people will either lean close to talk over the music or shout - same effect.  Dancing and singing is also a complete no-go area or anything that may make anyone breathe heavier than absolutely necessary.

Our morris band has considered forming a wide ring in the local bandstand for a practice, but that would likely get us arrested - yes we sometimes play that badly.  The possible effects on bystanders are the same as the consideration for pubs.  We're trying to think of a suitable isolated place as you should avoid public exposure or noise nuisance.

Rob.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2020, 11:14:24 PM »

While I have no immediate plans to visit a pub, with Morris, for a session or just for a beer (yet), I am unclear whether the entertainment ban extends to recorded music. In one respect, I quite hope it does. The logic would appear similar.
In the same way that it has been pleasant to travel on foot on the (still relatively) quiet roads, to look at the blue sky in the morning without  the sky criss-crossed with vapour trails, to listen to the birds in the trees without having to struggle over the traffic or aircraft noise, it would be good to be reliably able to go into a pub without having to raise my voice above background music or a juke box.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2020, 11:22:46 PM »

I am unclear whether the entertainment ban extends to recorded music. In one respect, I quite hope it does. The logic would appear similar.

Unfortunately, the ban only applies to live entertainment.
I suppose there could be a debate about what constitutes entertainment.
Greg Smith

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2020, 11:32:59 PM »

My view is that any attempt to play a session in a pub or a church hall or similar before restrictions on groups of people meeting are lifted is highly irresponsible.

That said, there will likely be a small minority who will do it, risking the future of sessions for the majority if publicans/hall owners get into trouble for allowing it to happen in the case of sessions, and for public performances encouraging others to just go and do what they want.

Plus I reckon that melodeons shift a lot more air than wind instruments or voices, so will help to circulate any virus particles in enclosed spaces like pubs. It’s looking like choirs won’t be able to sing until next year at the earliest, so I fear it will be the same for us melodeon players.

I personally don’t fancy sitting in a pub wearing an N95 respirator to stop me catching anything, for one thing it makes beer drinking quite a challenge  ;)

Hence it’s very unlikely that you will see me in a session until spring 2021 at the earliest. If you decide differently, then I hope you stay safe and don’t catch anything.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 12:13:26 AM »

"Unfortunately, the ban only applies to live entertainment". - Not by my reading of the document. The ban is on anything that would cause people to raise their voices. So juke box, loud TV showing sport etc etc would all fall foul. However a privately hired room for a session, without an audience, when nobody would be talking over the music, would, from my reading of the regs be legal (in England) but I am unsure if landlords would want to take the risk. I suspect we are stuck waiting for Boris to need to create some "good news". Perhaps to take attention from his dad's illegal trip to Greece >:E

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2020, 12:30:25 AM »

Hmmm - OK in England but not in Wales! Twlldyn pob Sais!  ;)

Oi!  ;)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal