Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Pubs reopening 4th July  (Read 9090 times)

Ellisteph

Pubs reopening 4th July
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:25:53 AM »

Just in case anyone was hoping to go back to the pub and lunch into a long awaited session, I've just checked the government website to check on the rules. As I suspected, live music is not yet allowed:

At this time, venues should not permit live performances, including drama, comedy and music, to take place in front of a live audience.

Ah well, back to Zoom.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Pubs reopening 4th July
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »

The pokey little cinemas can open but the Minack (a seriously open air theatre) can't. Weird.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

george garside

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:58:08 PM »

in a pub session  there my be a few non players  but  as they are  dotted here and there amongst players  I wouldn't think of them as being a 'live audience'  which inferes that the 'audience' is a separate entity to the players , singers or whatevers. ???????

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:15:05 PM »

in a pub session  there my be a few non players  but  as they are  dotted here and there amongst players  I wouldn't think of them as being a 'live audience'  which inferes that the 'audience' is a separate entity to the players , singers or whatevers. ???????
george

Returning to such venues/activities prior to getting an effective vaccine could well result in the term "live audience" referring to an ironically transitory state...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:20:58 PM »

;D you'll find me sitting on the fence .... outside, in the open air, at least 6 feet from anyone else 🎶 :|||: with an antiseptic G&T 🍸 ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 09:37:54 PM »

;D you'll find me sitting on the fence .... outside, in the open air, at least 6 feet from anyone else 🎶 :|||: with an antiseptic G&T 🍸 ;D
(:)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »

I saw the question put to Melnet's members on the Facebook site ' would you go to a session in a pub'.
I think there was just over 50 replies, I don't think there was more than one or two yes's in the replies.
I sense that people are currently very cautious about being indoors with others despite the yearning to getting back playing in a session.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 12:22:09 AM »

I won't be going inside a pub anytime soon, whether for a session or otherwise. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 02:48:01 AM »

I saw the question put to Melnet's members on the Facebook site ' would you go to a session in a pub'.
I think there was just over 50 replies, I don't think there was more than one or two yes's in the replies.
I sense that people are currently very cautious about being indoors with others despite the yearning to getting back playing in a session.

I might go to a pub to pick up pub grub, but there's NO WAY I'd ever go to Facebook...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 04:52:04 AM »

This is the one time when I'm glad to live out on the periphery of the melodeon universe.
The session scene is gradually getting back to normal here in NSW. But the local Irish Club have just postponed their first session because they can't get any kegs of Guinness delivered (the local brewer's computers have been hacked).

WestOz should be gloating now. I understand his pub session in Perth WA has been running again for a couple of weeks already. West Australia has closed its borders to keep out undesirables from the rest of Australia, and the world.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 07:26:27 AM »

We live very near to a wonderful community pub where in normal times we have a monthly session. We obviously want to support an important local business, but I'm really worried about the risks...and indoor sessions are completely out of the question. I'm meeting the rest of the band this morning to have an outside session - but there are only three of us - including a retired GP. Two metre distancing for us. Who knows when we'll play in public again...although the museum we used to play at regularly is reopening.
Regrettably, I think it'll be a long while before pub sessions will be practical or safe.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 08:11:13 AM »

Thank goodness for the internet - YouTube, Facebook, Zoom, Soundcloud and places such as Melnet.
They have allowed the traditional musicians to express themselves, motivate each other and simply keep it all ticking over.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 08:22:25 AM »

Government Rules re Pubs etc

The session relevant bit

At this time, venues should not permit live performances,
including drama, comedy and music, to take place in front of a
live audience. This is important to mitigate the risks of aerosol
transmission - from either the performer(s) or their audience.
There will be further guidance setting out how performing arts
activity can be managed safely in other settings, for instance

rehearsing or broadcast without an audience.--

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 08:27:52 AM »

In my book, that reads as being entirely sensible.
Thrupenny Bit

Howard Jones

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »

Whilst we all want to get back to doing what we love, we must be patient.  We must look at the intention behind this rule and not do a Cummings over the semantics of whether a session is a "performance" or those in earshot are an "audience". We don't want to lose the goodwill of the landlords and venue managers who allow us to play, or the tolerance of their customers, who may have no interest in the music. 

This is doubly so where festival fringe sessions are concerned, especially where people have decided to travel anyway as they already have accommodation booked, and have been speculating that some informal music might be possible.  There has been some discussion about this on the the Whitby Festival Facebook group, but the answer must be a firm NO, or risk putting the future of the festival in jeopardy.

Like many others, irrespective of any rules about music I won't be visiting a pub any time soon.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »

I had no idea there were murmerings about festivals.
I now live very close to Sidmouth, and whilst taking the sea air the other day I did wonder if we would see people turn up for Morris on the Esplanade on the first Sunday of what would be the folk week.
I sincerely hope not.
Thrupenny Bit

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 03:32:09 PM »

people have decided to travel anyway as they already have accommodation booked, and have been speculating that some informal music might be possible.  There has been some discussion about this on the the Whitby Festival Facebook group, but the answer must be a firm NO, or risk putting the future of the festival in jeopardy.

I can't believe people could be so irresponsible.  Here in Cyprus we've had FAR stricter lockdown restrictions than in UK and for longer - and the result is that now restrictions are being progressively lifted we have a total of 900-odd infections and 17 deaths (OK, our population is much smaller than UK's but that still represents only just over 14 per million as against roughly 600 per million in UK) and still only outdoor restaurants and bars are open. Masks and gloves are accepted as everyday wear and no-one would seriously consider trying to run even an informal event either now or when bars are allowed to open up in another week or two. Sorry, but I feel very strongly that the UK has dealt with Covid very poorly and I'm relieved I'm living here, where yes, we've had our "freedom to roam" limilted, with significantly heavy fines for transgression, but now we're coming out at the other end confident that most of our fellow citizens won't do anything irresponsible and that  a return to a more familiar lifestyle is on the way.

Rant over - sorry, back to squeezeboxes.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Howard Jones

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »

I think the suggestions I saw on Facebook were wishful thinking.  It is apparent that a number of people have decided to use the accommodation they already have booked for a holiday, so there will be quite a few festival goers there.  I guess the thinking was that if the pubs are going to be open, can't we do the things we normally do in pubs?  Melodeons would probably be OK but singers and wind players are to be avoided as they project particles a long distance.   I don't think the restriction on live music was known about.  I think its been stamped on, amongst the Facebook group anyway, but I dare say some people will turn up anyway and through ignorance or stupidity try something.

As far as I am aware the rules against live music apply to pubs, theatres and similar venues and have probably been drawn up with formal performances in mind.  I don't know what the position is regarding informal and unorganised music-making in the open air. I know people who have been gathering in parks for socially-distanced sessions.

My guess is a morris side plus musician(s) would be likely to exceed the 6-people rule.   Busking musicians or dancers who might cause a crowd to gather will probably be moved along. 

I agree that the UK government has handled things poorly. A lot of people I know think it is too soon to open the pubs, and the rules are complicated, contradictory and often arbitrary.  To trust "good old British common sense" flies in the face of evidence of some people's behaviour since the start of the lockdown , which was only reinforced by the recent scenes from Bournemouth.  I think that post-Cummings people are doing what they want and finding ways to justify it, if only to themselves.  However this is a long way from being over.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 03:55:43 PM »

I had no idea there were murmerings about festivals.

Hi Q, I  think a fair few people have held on to their accommodation booking, however the accommodation vacated by those that chose to roll theirs over till next year is all getting booked up by tourists looking for a seaside holiday - looks like all that accommodation will be full one way or another.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »

Hi Helena, fair enough I suppose.
We in Devon and Cornwall are split.
Those with hospitality venues are gagging at the bit to get everyone down.
The rest of us just appalled at the prospect.
The first bank holiday saw places in North Devon rammed with people, no car parks open so people parked in the narrow roads blocking them and  the traffic wardens ran out of tickets.
No toilets open so people used the beach, in hedges, people's gardens etc. We were just stunned at the antisocial selfish behaviour and worried about the prospects of infecting people in a low risk area.

I hope we won't see people flooding a small narrow streeted town of elderly people 'just in case' a session might happen despite the festival being cancelled this year...

Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal