Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fidel Socin  (Read 577 times)

Nigel.H

Fidel Socin
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »

I wonder if any of the 'Collectors' out there have access to any of the late 30's - 50's Socin catalogues ?  I would like to try to date an instrument. 

Nigel.H

Re: Fidel Socin
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »

Well, I have it to hand now, but still no real idea as to age.  I am hoping Triskel picks up on this post as I have read his Casali posts with interest and the logo very obviously came from the same supplier.  My own limited research confirms that after a couple of generations of family production at Bolzano/Bozen, Tyrol the Socin brand died out with the passing of the last maker relation in 1958.

Although I am more of a natural wood lover, and not a great fan of 'bling', it looked/looks very well made.

As per an associated post, it has the 'gleichton' on the 'C' note ( Keys of C/F ) which I intend to replace rather than fettle.  Internally, and externally, it is very good.  The bass end is  not 'clubbed', ie. standard bass/chords as per the Pokerwork models.

The 'accidental' reeds are Hohner 'T' plates - with Hohner vinyl valves.  Whether they were a later addition or not I don't know.  I would doubt it, the other plates are typical Italian with leather valves.  All of the reeds are screw fitted to leather gasket throughout.

The chords blocks are more heavily reeded than a standard instrument, x4 & x6 reeds per button. The voicing is LMM, without stops.  It is not overly "loud" or strident. 

Triskel has dated his similarly outfitted Casali (fastener's/strap fittings/logo font ) box at late 40's, Lar's has suggested 60's for his Casali with some similarities, but Fidel Socin had closed by then.

Socin did publish catalogues and they are 'about' on Italian Ebay but i am not sure I need to date it that badly.  Either way it is a bit of a beast and built like a battleship....mind you, I could do with losing a few pounds....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131359105@N04/albums
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:26:21 PM by Nigel.H »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal