Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Take and Final Take - an experiment with totm  (Read 7354 times)

Bryson

• Regular debater
  • Connemara II - Pokerwork - Lilly - Black Pearl II
First Take and Final Take - an experiment with totm
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:02:08 AM »

In the spirit of experimentation around totm I've decided to try a "before" and "after".

Or as I put it a First Take and a Final Take.

By First Take I mean that I didn't know the tune (in this case "Speed the Plough") until a couple of days ago or so (I actually started this on Saturday 26 Sept).. so before the First Take you have a chance to "learn" the tune and "play about a bit..." Then you record it 3 times... warts n all!!! This can happen at any time of the month but the sooner the better.

If you already "know" the tune i.e. you can play it.... the rules are the same as for people, like myself in this case, who didn't know the tune at all ... it didn't ring any bells.. if you get my drift.

The Final Take is in the same month. This is again played 3 times wart n all :), unless something extrinsic gets involved e.g. the cat bites your leg (I hope that doesn't happen to me as I haven't got a cat) .. the extrinsic stuff refers to the First Take as well, of course.

The idea is based on looking at learning.. for yourself... and others.. but primarily for yourself.

The first First Take I've done has already taught me stuff during the perfunctory editing process.

Can't comment on YouTube "quality" as a lot depends on your local set up.. I intend to follow the same "technical" procedures" during both Takes.

in a spirit of adventure.. learning the melodeon

cheers
Bryson

I "learned" the tune by a mixture of dots and midi and NWC (Noteworthy Composer).. my box is a 4 doh and the top 8 bass buttons are  pretty standard with Bm and Em chords.

First Take
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xBh-x_Ymg
A Blackburn Rovers fan since 1957 :( cross rowing on a D/G melodeon since 2007

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: First Take and Final Take - an experiment with totm
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »

My goodness - how quick a learner are you!  ;D Nice idea with your first and final takes - it'll be interesting to see what happens! Your fancy-fangled Em chord on the B music has not gone unnoticed by the way!

Have a well deserved drink!   :|glug

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »

I will take your challenge. Before Tuesday I'd only played it very slowly with no LH and messed up the B part every time. (I will be recording my first take tonight).
At the moment when I play it, its got the consistancy of lumpy custard...can't seem to make it 'bouncy'.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »

At the moment when I play it, its got the consistancy of lumpy custard...can't seem to make it 'bouncy'.
One way to 'smooth out your lumpy custard' would be to imagine you are playing it for a Border Morris side. I find that helps me to get bounce into the tune, but it only comes with plenty of practice. You have only just learnt the tune, so it is bound to be a bit lumpy for a while.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »

One way to 'smooth out your lumpy custard' would be to imagine you are playing it for a Border Morris side. I find that helps me to get bounce into the tune, but it only comes with plenty of practice. You have only just learnt the tune, so it is bound to be a bit lumpy for a while.

All this talk of Lumpy Custard reminds me

X: 196
T:Lumpy Custard
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:G
D2 GF G2|D2 BA B2|cB AG FG|AG FE D2|
D2 GF G2|D2 BA B2|cB AG FA|1 A2 G2 z2:|2 A2 G2 Bc||
d2 de dc|B2 G2 AB|c2 cd cB|A4 Bc|d2 de dc|B2 G2 AB|
cB AG FA|1 A2 G2 Bc:|2 A2 G2 z2||

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »

Some interesting ideas in that - I can see the benefits of this totm malarkey already, perfect for, ahem, incorporating other people's ideas!  ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 07:42:27 PM »

My First Take
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qNOyglPhM
I lost count how many times through.
Its less speed the plough more..plough the boggy field with and old horse who looses his footing. ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:12:48 PM by ladydetemps »

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »

That's actually rather good, well done LDT. Will you do another take at the end of the month ?

Ian.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:32 PM »

That's actually rather good, well done LDT. Will you do another take at the end of the month ?
Thank you. :D
yep you'll get a 2nd take on the last of the month or close enough. ;)

I have noticed now that using 3 fingers instead of 4 I am now giving the 'rock' sign instead of the V for victory....which I think is..erm better.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:07:55 PM by ladydetemps »

Martin Duffy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »

In spite of the fact I've only been playing a few months I decided to force myself to have a go at the TOTM & have uploaded the rather ramshackle result to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8tertobz_g

You will notice that I overcame the issue of the melodeon face with the novel use of one of my border morris masks!!  For some reason it cut off before I'd got through my planned repeat, so you'll just have to imagine the bit where the playing suddenly improved so much so that it was if I was a seasoned professional...(as if!!)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:59:06 PM by Martin Duffy »

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »

In spite of the fact I've only been playing a few months I decided to force myself to have a go at the TOTM & have uploaded the rather ramshackle result to YouTube:

You will notice that I overcame the issue of the melodeon face with the novel use of one of my border morris masks!!  For some reason it cut off before I'd got through my planned repeat, so you'll just have to imagine the bit where the playing suddenly improved so much so that it was if I was a seasoned professional...(as if!!)

So, another member of the masked-melodeon-video posse, then?  And another top-hat wearer, too.  Good job!

Maybe it won't be long before everyone's doing it...
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 08:58:55 AM »

Yikes - scary! Good, but scary  ;D

Martin Duffy

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:13 AM »

Thanks for the kind words - you say scarey, but you haven't seen beneath the mask!

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »

Pretty darned good for a few months! Well done. Great mask too ;D
I don't get 'jigs'

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »

You will notice that I overcame the issue of the melodeon face with the novel use of one of my border morris masks!!  For some reason it cut off before I'd got through my planned repeat, so you'll just have to imagine the bit where the playing suddenly improved so much so that it was if I was a seasoned professional...(as if!!)
Sounds good from where I hid behind the sofa. That's a scary mask. :o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:07:46 PM by ladydetemps »

Sebastian

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 09:42:26 PM »

You will notice that I overcame the issue of the melodeon face with the novel use of one of my border morris masks!!
Your mask reminds me of Fasnet. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSsGa9CSg04

(Warning: No-melodeon-content!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal