Discussions > Teaching and Learning

Right hand Little finger flying

(1/3) > >>

Yusuf:
Any suggestions on a practice pattern that will help keep my little finger from flying up?  It certainly would be more efficient to be closer to the button. Definitely ackward getting it down in time.

Mike Hirst:
A useful trick that I discovered after a minor finger injury is to practice running scales and  simple tunes using only little finger and ring finger, or ring, middle and index fingers.

Tufty:
In workshops John Kirkpatrick gets you to play a simple tune with just one finger, each in turn. It certainly seems to train the little finger to operate independently. I sometimes play this way in slow/easy sessions for the practice.

richard.fleming:

--- Quote from: Yusuf Harper on July 07, 2020, 01:16:35 AM ---Any suggestions on a practice pattern that will help keep my little finger from flying up?  It certainly would be more efficient to be closer to the button. Definitely ackward getting it down in time.

--- End quote ---
Don't worry about it. I've been playing for years and always been an advocate of using the little finger, and in fact have been surprised to find people on this forum suggesting you shouldn't. My little finger also tends to lift up when not needed but it's always bang on the button when it's needed. It may be due to something physiological, but whatever the cause I don't think it's a problem. If you play to a standard where your brain is able to anticipate that you will need the little finger then the little finger will start to move into place in plenty of time.

JNM SY:

--- Quote from: richard.fleming on July 07, 2020, 12:16:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Yusuf Harper on July 07, 2020, 01:16:35 AM --- My little finger also tends to lift up when not needed.

--- End quote ---
Posh melodeonists?  >:E
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version