Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery Binci Reed Set  (Read 1486 times)

Seth Hamon

Mystery Binci Reed Set
« on: July 09, 2020, 02:29:39 AM »

Thanks Theo for adding me.  When I took over the Herrington Concertina shop last year, in with the reeds is a pack of reeds that says 2 voice and is separated into 2 packs of 20 each, 40 reeds total.  One pack says C# and the other says D.  I found some notes in Herrington’s records about ordering reeds from Binci to make an Irish accordion and the reeds are Binci Professional. The reeds are diatonic and I haven’t tested them all yet to see if they can be used for part or most of a Concertina build or not.  Any idea what his intentions for these reeds might have been?  I tried to upload pictures but it keeps telling me the file is too big.  Cheers, Seth Hamon

mselic

Re: Mystery Binci Reed Set
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 03:02:22 AM »

These reeds most certainly would have been intended for use in a C#/D, 2-row button accordion (an 'Irish' accordion).  There are plenty of folks on here who would be interested in that set as they are - don't use them in a concertina!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Seth Hamon

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:45:34 AM »

Thank you I really appreciate it.  Is a 2 row button accordion the same as a Melodeon?  I’m a bagpipe maker who has been making concertinas for about a year so this is new territory for me.  Seth

Seth Hamon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 03:51:14 AM »

I’m attempting to make the photos smaller so the forum will let me post them due to the size limit.

Seth Hamon

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 03:53:36 AM »

Next

Seth Hamon

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 03:55:06 AM »

Ok, it’s allowing my pictures one at a time.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »

Is a 2 row button accordion the same as a Melodeon?
The use of the word 'melodeon' differs depending on which part of the world you live in. For example, in Ireland, the term tends to be used only for a one-row instrument; two row instruments are generally known as a (button) accordion. In the UK, particularly in England, and on this forum, the word 'melodeon' is used for diatonic push-pull accordion, regardless of the number of rows. In the US, I think the term button accordion is used nearly everywhere, possibly in part to distinguish it from the old pump organs which were sometimes referred to as 'melodeons'.

Also I agree with mselic's assessment about your packs of reeds. Binci reeds are a high-quality make, expensive and sometimes difficult to obtain in limited quantities. A C#/D set would be sought after for use in Irish style semitone-tuned melodeons/accordions. See this layout here. It's up to you what you do with them of course, but if you advertised them for sale on this forum, I'm fairly sure they would be snapped up quickly.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Seth Hamon

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 04:29:29 AM »

Thank you very much for the replies.  I had a feeling these were for a Melodeon.  The main sets we use are marked C/G or D/G in sets of 30 for the concertina.  I get these from Voci Armonichie.  There are several sets of 40 Binci reeds but I think these others were meant for a Concertina.  He mostly made concertinas but must have had plans for messing with Melodeons which also explains the box of bellows.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »

Is a 2 row button accordion the same as a Melodeon?
The use of the word 'melodeon' differs depending on which part of the world you live in.

...If you come from Harrow the only valid term is "diatonic accordion". End of...
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Seth Hamon

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 02:21:07 AM »

Ok, I found the original paperwork from the Binci order.  Their are A-Mano sets of C#/D and also sets in B/C.  I think I’ll find new owners for these and purchase new sets in the layout I use for concertinas (C/G) as I don’t see myself making Melodeon’s at the moment. 

Attached is a chart for the layout of the C#/D reeds. 

Seth
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:25:36 AM by Seth Hamon »

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 02:37:54 AM »

Your layout is one button / reed bank short of a C#/D layout , on the C# row , high end  ( see layout posted by Steve earlier in this thread) someone would need to buy or acquire the balance to complete the layout. So 42 reeds to the layout on a 21 button two row.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Seth Hamon

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 03:42:13 AM »

Your layout is one button / reed bank short of a C#/D layout , on the C# row , high end  ( see layout posted by Steve earlier in this thread) someone would need to buy or acquire the balance to complete the layout. So 42 reeds to the layout on a 21 button two row.

I noticed most of the charts I looked up had one extra button.  Not sure what Harold’s intention was but he ordered the sets in sets of 20.  The chart I posted was photoed directly from his order form sent to Binci.  Could it have been meant for a 10 button box with 2 voices?  Seth

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »

" Could it have been meant for a 10 button box with 2 voices?"

Likely, I would imagine. Or, if they were in different octaves, could they possibly have been meant for a 20 key Anglo?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Gonk

• (Mudlark Music)
    • Mudlark Music
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »

Seth, I'm one of those folks who is interested in that set as-is!  And possibly the B/C as well.  I sent a PM.  Thanks
Mudlark Music - restoration, repairs, lessons, and sales.  (USA)  http://mudlark-music.com

mory

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »

Maybe there were plans afoot and they were intended for a 2 row concertina! 20 reads would be enough. There have been looks at semitone concertina before, why don't you make one and see, you might be on a winner. All the Best mory
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal