Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Touching up Hohner fingerboards  (Read 1743 times)

Johnny S

Touching up Hohner fingerboards
« on: July 09, 2020, 06:33:46 PM »

I am servicing a Hohner Black Dot and the paintwork around the treble buttons is worn down to the wood.  Any ideas for how to touch this up; what paint/stain to use etc?  Normally I would leave it as it shows good use but this time i think I would like to tone it down.

tirpous

Re: Touching up Hohner fingerboards
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 07:15:20 PM »

I think a stain is what Hohner used.  There is a black stain called Ebonholzbeize used in the violin world that would do, but other dark/black stains would probably be OK too.  Maybe follow with a bit of TruOil or similar rubbing varnish to shine it up if it stands out from unworn areas.  I have a 1930-40s old Hohner with a keyboard that was repainted, probably with gloss black spray paint.  It looks too new for my taste.

Note/disclaimer: these are just my ideas and I'm no expert.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 07:29:16 PM »

The Hohner wooden keyboards I’ve seen usually have a very thick build paint or lacquer.  My treatment if choice for toning down the wear marks is to wipe over with black French polish.  French polish solvent is alcohol which won’t affect any previously applied paint or laquer.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

diatonix

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »

Car spray paint. Easy and fast.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »

Yes car spray paint works well, but it’s more opaque than French polish, so it’s good for a full refinish.  French polish is good for brightening up the finish while keeping enough of the signs of wear to retain its character.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

diatonix

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 08:39:39 PM »

In my country, car spray paint is sold in both glossy black and opaque black.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:49:27 PM by diatonix »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 09:03:08 PM »

Here we have glossy and matt,  but both are fairly opaque. There may be a translucent black too, i don’t know.  Car paint is easier to find in shops than French polish.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Johnny S

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »

The Hohner wooden keyboards I’ve seen usually have a very thick build paint or lacquer.  My treatment if choice for toning down the wear marks is to wipe over with black French polish.  French polish solvent is alcohol which won’t affect any previously applied paint or laquer.
This might be my route forward.  Have you any ideas where I might get some of this product?  Thanks

Nigel.H

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »

I do not think Hohner used a "stain" as the dye does not penetrate the wood (when you get down to it ).  I am fairly sure Theo is right in that it is a form of enamel/lacquer/French Polish with dye.

This fingerboard is an original 'black' Pokerwork one, hand sanded back to the bare wood and treated with a stain & Tru-Oil.  There was some minimal black 'ingrained' pigment on some of the grain, but most pigment finish sanded off.

I have been experimenting with black, oil based leather dye "in" French Polish, finished with Tro-Oil in an effort to create an effective ebonising solution. 

And, as well as Gloss and Matt, one can find "Satin"/low gloss finish paints and true "enamel" from Chandlers, which has a linseed oil base and may well be the closest option - Craftmaster is one I have used on vintage motorbikes when looking for a 'coach'built' finish.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »

This might be my route forward.  Have you any ideas where I might get some of this product?  Thanks

Plenty of suppliers,  Awminster for example:
https://www.axminstertools.com/liberon-black-french-polish-500149
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

mory

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »

It's Black button polish had an old bottle for about 30 years, Leiberon sell it as black polish, black pigmented French polish. You'd recognise as the same as Hohner use it as soon as it was applied AtB mory
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:02:41 PM by mory »

tirpous

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »

I do not think Hohner used a "stain" as the dye does not penetrate the wood (when you get down to it ).  I am fairly sure Theo is right in that it is a form of enamel/lacquer/French Polish with dye.

True, it does not penetrate the wood significantly, but there seems to be a dark matte layer left on the wood after the shine has worn off, especially on end grain (see pictures).  The finish wear reminds me of an old stained (?) maple double bass fingerboard I have.

I add a picture of a 1930's Hohner with fingerboard and grille redone with gloss spray finish.  Somehow it looks out of character (to my eye anyway..).

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 08:27:29 PM »

Furniture restorers often mix pigments into clear shellac to get a colour matched finish, much like you mix paint on a pallet.

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 08:40:36 PM »

Hammerite smooth gloss black paint seemed to work fine on my Lilliput, matched other surfaces and gave a deep shalac like look.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Johnny S

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »

Plenty of suppliers,  Awminster for example:
https://www.axminstertools.com/liberon-black-french-polish-500149
Ordered.  Thanks for all your advice folks.

Dennis Steckley

• Good talker
  • Club System!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 05:52:11 AM »

It looks good to me.............still has an appearance of age and some wear.  I have no objection to something, say, 50 years old, looking 50 years old--but neither would I be upset if someone restored their box so that it looked brand new.  Personal preference as far as I'm concerned.

Dennis Steckley

I add a picture of a 1930's Hohner with fingerboard and grille redone with gloss spray finish.  Somehow it looks out of character (to my eye anyway..).
[/quote]
Hohner Victoria Club ii, Hohner Club III M, Hohner Liliput, Hohner Preciosa, Hohner Piccoletta, Hohner Overture LMMM (and three PA's, including one that is the same size as a Preciosa)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »

Furniture restorers often mix pigments into clear shellac to get a colour matched finish, much like you mix paint on a pallet.

Make your own shellac varnish by dissolving old records in acetone (nail varnish).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »

Make your own shellac varnish by dissolving old records in acetone (nail varnish).

Noooo! Please don't!
Though they might be thought of as near worthless now, old 78 rpm shellac records have antique, historical, and archival interest and significance, in the same way that wax cylinder recordings are now valued.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »

No!  Shellac polish aka French polish is shellac dissolved in alcohol, not acetone.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »

Noooo! Please don't!
Though they might be thought of as near worthless now, old 78 rpm shellac records have antique, historical, and archival interest and significance, in the same way that wax cylinder recordings are now valued.

Not when they're in a number of separate pieces, they're not.

No!  Shellac polish aka French polish is shellac dissolved in alcohol, not acetone.

I'm sure you're right. I have a friend who deals in antiques and restores violins. The tip came from him. I assumed it was acetone. I know he had a plentiful supply of broken 78s
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal