Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3rd Traditional Tunes & Popular Airs Conference 10th/11th Oct (Spin-off thread)  (Read 1342 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping

Rather than hi-jack Hugh Taylor's Change in music at the end of the C18th thread, I'm starting a new thread for those who might be interested.
Celia Pendlebury (whose master's thesis was mentioned in the earlier thread here) has wondered if folks here might be interested in this forthcoming conference on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th October 2020. Originally destined to be held at Cecil Sharp House, this will probably now be a Webex on-line event. It would seem that at least some of the conference will cover some of the issues raised in the 'Change in music at the end of the C18th' thread.

Here's what Celia wrote to me in an e-mail:

"I have just been reading through this correspondence [i.e. the melnet thread] with interest, as this topic matches my line of research.  Your correspondents might be interested in the series of conferences specifically about traditional tunes over history. These are organized by Julia Bishop in conjunction with the Elphinstone Institute, University of Sheffield and EFDSS. They are academic in nature, but "independants" (such as me) are welcome and anyone can submit a paper.  Details of the next one being planned in October are here: 

https://networks.h-net.org/node/73374/announcements/5809517/cfp-3rd-traditional-tunes-and-popular-airs-conference-deadline 

At the moment Julia & co are deciding how to deliver it and I suspect they shall opt for a Webex platform, which will make it accessible to a lot more people. Maybe you could provide this information to your friends on melnet?"

The deadline for submission of papers is now passed, but the conference itself may be of interest to members here. The topics to be discussed/presented are here.
If you are interested in taking part, please contact Julia Bishop for further details:

Dr Julia Bishop, Hon. Research Fellow, University of Aberdeen, and Research Associate, University of Sheffield
e-mail: julia.bishop@blueyonder.co.uk

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping

That's a useful link - thanks, Andy!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle

I will be interested to find out more about the previous two conferences (2017 and 2019)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris

Is it appropriate to ask if papers presented at this conference'  (and past ones) will be/are available anywhere?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping

Is it appropriate to ask if papers presented at this conference'  (and past ones) will be/are available anywhere?

I will be interested to find out more about the previous two conferences (2017 and 2019)

I'm sure it is appropriate to ask about papers at this, and previous, conferences. But I'm not the person to ask, sorry. Please contact Julia Bishop (e-mail on the first post).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk

This sounds really interesting Steve. I've emailed Julia expressing an interest in attending.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal